Risu's Star Lord build

Alright, I've found a bunch of stuff since my last post.

First, the leather I bought for the boot spats. I found it on ebay. It's a little more uniform than it looks in pictures, which disappointed me when it came in. I'll have to mess with it a bit to make it look right.

I got some more bag hardware.

I've got a grey TJ Maxx shirt, which is the correct fabric, but short sleeved. I got a second one in white later to add long sleeves, they'll both have to be dyed a darker grey. And the collar fabric as well. I still haven't found the mesh for the ab panels.

And I found a white denim to use for the body of the jacket. The weave is identical to the swatches, it just needs to be dyed and screen printed.

And last is the lining satin and mesh for the jacket. The mesh needs to be made a medium grey still, but it looks pretty good so far.

And with flash.

And we found the fabric for the prison shirts, it's just a little too bright right now.

Here's the shirt mesh that I'm using...might this work for you? If so, I can send you a couple panels once I cut them and edge them-out with an iron :D
MESH_01.JPGMESH_02.JPG

For the abs? The stuff on the screen used shirt doesn't appear to have holes in it, I'm not even sure it's technically a mesh. Some kind of raised textured knit would probably be a more accurate description. The seats in my dad's truck have a similar pattern, as does the wall upholstery in a Tesla model S, albeit quite a bit smaller in that case and probably woven.

As for the black mesh, I've discovered that color remover does nothing to it, and the hole spacing is actually quite wrong. I'm trying to track one down in the correct color now. That's more important to me than the size of the holes, as I quite like the blue being really visible through it.

Also, I think I managed to find the canvas for the pants and the gold neck/hip trim from the prison uniforms last night. When they come in, and if I verify that they're correct, I'll post links to the store where I found them.

That's an artist's rendering. Both sides are the same.

In the picture, it does kind of look like holes, but keep in mind that in person the base shirt material is a much darker grey than it appears in the picture, and when I saw the costume up close, you couldn't see darker material through the "holes". That leads me to believe they were just recesses. That being said, I still check every mesh I come across on the web, but none have had the right hole pattern/weave.

That's an artist's rendering. Both sides are the same.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-08-16163834_zpsfd35cb75.jpg

In the picture, it does kind of look like holes, but keep in mind that in person the base shirt material is a much darker grey than it appears in the picture, and when I saw the costume up close, you couldn't see darker material through the "holes". That leads me to believe they were just recesses. That being said, I still check every mesh I come across on the web, but none have had the right hole pattern/weave.

...000Oooh THANK you for this image! I have a binder with all my reference shots in it so I can show folks at fabric stores what I'm looking for. Also, I didn't know that was an artist rendering, LOL! (I gotta get better glasses....) Do let us know what the stock number and product description is once you do find it:D

I did a little Photoshop adjustment to catch the weave of the shirt to get a better look at the mesh and the weave of the shirt
Close Up of the MESHa .jpg
...it reminds me a little of what you'd get on a Polo shirt. He had to have been HOT in this thing...but then again that mesh might have helped him out a little...

Last edited:
lemme know if you need someone else to go in on the snaps????.....I'm game....been looking and looking and loooooooking....can't find a damned thing....

I was actually able able to find a pretty exact fabric at joann fabrics. It's looks identical. I'll post a pic tonightIMG_85399724496592.jpeg

I mentioned in another thread that I would post a picture that shows that the inner lenses of Star Lord's helmet are blue acrylic with a laser engraved pattern of squares on them. You can't really see the square pattern here, but you can see the blue.

Also, I printed out Ein's mag clamp, but I prefer to think of it as more of a gravity well device because of how it worked in the movie.

My fabrics should arrive on Monday, and so should the first two jacket zippers I'm waiting on.

Whew, ok. Let's see if I can sum up.

The fabrics I was waiting on were both wrong.

I don't think I'll be using those 3D printed rockets after all, something better in the works.

Started drawing up the rocket control parts, will be scratch building one, then molding and casting.

And finally, I picked up one of MDuckett's awesome helmets. I didn't want to post until I had opened up the side seams and made sure I could get my head into it. Fits like a glove. Just need to put some padding in so it sits right on my head.

Plans for the eye lenses are well under way. Actually they should be prototyped for visibility testing in about a week.

I have one of those helmets on the way! Yours looks awesome - I'm even more excited for mine now. :)

I'm definitely interested to know what you do for the lenses. The ones I used for my foam helmet had terrible visibility, so I'm looking for better solutions!

I had a really cool idea for the lenses, but it's looking like it won't pan out. My backup plan is still awesome, just not as cool.

I'll hopefully have time to draw up the blueprints soon. The guy can't continue without them. It's definitely going to get done, I just haven't had a lot of free time from work and I've spent almost all of that working on the helmet lately.

Preliminary test successful.

I've got the color of lens and the engraving pattern figured out, now I just have to wait for my red LEDs to come in to figure out if it's edge lit or the LEDs are between the lenses, and hopefully I won't be completely blind.

Looking awesome Risu
Hopefully i cant start printed my parts out next month. I finally ordered a 3D printer :) Yeah

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back