Risu's Star Lord build

I don't expect to break $1000 making the costume myself, but I'd definitely say it's the most complicated project I've started. I'm actually kind of stuck on the pants pattern until I can find a better picture of the back. As far as I can tell, it's a basic riding seam with an inset panel at the top and a back belt, but I can't say for sure without a better view of the middle, which you can't really see in the picture Marvel released of the pants on the hanger.

I've been studying this myself and have been stockpiling images of every part of this outfit so, I'm your man for images! The closest I could come to the rear of the pants is the High Resolution image I keep going back to for cropping and note taking, as like in this first shot.

View attachment 375725
Here's the back of the pants...note...you'll have to source another custom Zipper, cut it in half, sew it shut, 'cap' both ends using the same fabric from the outer shell of the pant, mount it to a sub strait so it doesn't chafe and then install it. Have fun!
Back of Pants.jpg
Here's a better look at the closure and riding pant detail...
View attachment 375726

THIS is a pain in the ass. the number of panels involved on each knee....I'm thinking of just sewing this as a separate panel and applying each knee pad to the leg panel before closing the leg up.
View attachment 375727
Various shots of Chris Pratt's crotch
View attachment 375728 View attachment 375729
Aaand a diagram shamelessly sourced from another of our illustrious RPF members
View attachment 375730
...and finally, that annoyingly difficult thigh pad, and pocket flap/button detail.
View attachment 375731
Remember, now, these things are kinda like skinny jeans...they form fit.

Have fun!

I've already got the shape drawn up, modified from one of my slopers I made for pants of varying degrees of tightness. I've also got all the details drawn out for the front except the pocket welts now, mainly because I have figured out the exact size and placement of the holster pad yet. That image you posted does show something extra in the center of the pants at the riding seam, I wish I had some idea what that was, because from a distance it looks kind of like a hinge made of fabric. Which would be stupid. I just wish I could also see just above that. I know there's some kind of buckle on the back belt, but I have no idea what it looks like. or if there are any other details on the gusset.

The knee panels are fairly straightforward, inserting them is more challenging since they sort of fit into a hole and are surrounded by one continuous piece of fabric. It's not visible in the regular photos I've seen, but up close you can see that there's no outseam below the knee, the back piece of fabric wraps around the front of the leg and then runs all the way up the inseam to the crotch.

The first urethane arm badge is out of the mold. I didn't use the aluminum on this one, but I will on the next one. The urethane is completely flexible and incredibly durable. I tried to tear the first failed cast and couldn't

I also machined a jig to try and flatten some regular snaps. The fronts are completely flat now, but the edges still roll instead of being squared off. I may or may not decide to use these, I'm still hoping to find the real ones.

And last, here are my two different jacket fabric swatches.

I have the two bag swatches headed my way as well.

Where'd you find that label? It looks very familiar...

Here's the label I posted in this thread (http://www.therpf.com/f78/im-hooked...-mix-vol-1-a-218431/?highlight=hooked+feeling) 6 weeks ago...

Looks slightly tweaked but you definitely used mine as a base. To compare, I adjusted the brightness/contrast to bring out the details:

View attachment 376249

I spent a lot of time making my labels and I'd appreciate it if you didn't go around representing them as your work and giving them away. Same as recasting in my view. You want to distribute a label - go make your own.

Sorry to hijack your thread, Risu. That's all I have to say about this.

Carry on.
I see where you are coming from but he never actually said it was his work.... Just that he had a file. Just so we aren't becoming needlessly angry at each other

The first urethane arm badge is out of the mold. I didn't use the aluminum on this one, but I will on the next one. The urethane is completely flexible and incredibly durable. I tried to tear the first failed cast and couldn't

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-09-13103206_zps596291be.jpg[/URL]

I also machined a jig to try and flatten some regular snaps. The fronts are completely flat now, but the edges still roll instead of being squared off. I may or may not decide to use these, I'm still hoping to find the real ones.

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-09-12204949_zpsf6e6c62c.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-09-12205134_zps62edeae1.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-09-12205122_zps48f07c4b.jpg[/URL]

And last, here are my two different jacket fabric swatches.

[url]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v328/NinjaRisu/2014-09-12132344_zps811ac143.jpg[/URL]

I have the two bag swatches headed my way as well.

I know this may be a stupid question, but I am new to making as accurate as possible costumes (I am normally just a prop maker) and wanted to know where everyone is getting the Guardians of the Galaxy swatches at? Is there a link we can order different swatches from?

They're on ebay, I have no idea where they originally came from, but some of them are selling really high right now. I managed to get a swatch of the prison uniform fabric today for $15 and that completes my collection.

So the same line of cards that sell the individual packs, but you only get what, one swatch card per box of card packs?

So the same line of cards that sell the individual packs, but you only get what, one swatch card per box of card packs?

From this site:
"Hobby boxes have a pair of Cosmic Strings memorabilia cards, one of which is a multi-memorabilia card. They come in a variety of styles like basic swatches, over-sized piecees and autographed memorabilia. The toughest versions are Autographed Cosmic Strings (1:480 packs), Cosmic Strings Team (1:2,400 packs) and Cosmic Strings Max (1:2,400 packs)."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone. I guess I need to start collecting the cards anyway, but I think I will wait until the prices drop some. LOL I guess my Star Lord Build won't be as screen accurate as I hoped for this year, but it will be closer before the next GotG movie. (which I am sure EVERYTHING will change by then. LOL)

If things turn out the same way the Star Trek 09 cards did, the good ones will probably get really expensive later.

If things turn out the same way the Star Trek 09 cards did, the good ones will probably get really expensive later.

Given the popularity of GOTG, the cards will maintain a good price but you tend to get fluctuations up and down depending on their profile and availability. Autographed and rarer cards will stay high but I think some of the other cards will peak soon although RPF interest will push them higher in the short term. Trading cards are a lot like lottery scratchers, most people are looking for quick cash rewards.

I picked up some fabric today in Berkley, CA - I think it may work...lemme know if you'd like half - glad to share, Risu. (there's enough for two bag fronts).

Bag Fabric light upholdstry.JPG
The sizing is still in it and this is a very light weight upholstery and I still need to get that circle pattern screened onto it. Thoughts, anyone, about how close I came on this?

This is like a two by one weave. The overall color is similar and the style of weave is close, but it's got the two stitches vertically for every one horizontal. I'm supposed to get my two swatches by Wednesday and on Saturday I'm hitting the LA fashion district. If I find the exact stuff there I'll most likely have to buy a solid yard of each, so I'll be able to hook up a couple people, but I'll freely share it's origins for anybody who can go and buy more. Assuming I can find it up there in the half a day I have to look around.

That would be awesome, let me know if your schedule somehow opens up. We'll be running around pretty fast, meeting up with a friend, and booking it back down to orange county for a party. Going to be looking for jacket fabrics and leather, bag fabrics, and maybe the weird upholstery canvas on the pants.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back