Dragoncon 2015

This will be the first time I'm going to dragon con and I'm going to be making yondu from guardians of the galaxy as my first costume, are there any pointers?

This forum has lots of good advice, and the "first timer/advice" thread comes up often:

http://dragonconforums.org/index.php

General advice: It's not like other cons:
- The focus isn't on the guests or panels or swag: it's on YOU-- your costumes, your friends, your having a good time.
- It doesn't die down after 7pm. You're going to have something to do each hour, every hour for 4 days.
- It's spread out over several city blocks, not just one large convention center. You'll have to walk on the streets and connecting tunnels between hotels to get from one event to another. Plan accordingly to allow yourself some extra time. If you have a bad ass costume, you need to add even more time.
- The schedule is daunting. It usually isn't released until 1-2 weeks prior to con: both in App format and an old school PDF booklet. Take some time to glance over it and have an idea of what's going on. That said, just pick a few key "must attend" things and be flexible about the rest of your schedule. Some of my favorite con memories are from just random events.
- It's HOT in Atlanta. Take breaks from walking and standing, stay hydrated, use some baby powder before you put on a costume and start sweating within minutes.
- Related note, get some walking practice in. I log between 12,000-17,000 steps each day of con.

Not sure if you all are aware, but a friend of mine gave this to me, the said he got it at Walmart, I guess Cosplay is officially famous, we have a magazine now...
11168469_10206648295432772_5533134167623665257_n.jpg

As a reminder, we are having an RPF meet up...So if your name / handle is not on this list and you plan on attending the meet please let me know that you would like to attend the meet up, this will let us know that we need to have a RPF badge for you. We will be doing a head count closer to the event to insure that were not making badges for people that are not going to be able to make it...Thanks so much in advance....

These are the people that have said that there planing on attending the RPF Dragoncon Meet Up so far...

Andveryginger - Avatar
GotWookiee - Avatar
Grifter2013 - Avatar
Helpfulnerd - Avatar
HyruleInfantry - Avatar
hzdous - Avatar
Jaedena - Avatar
Lucianthinus - Avatar
Matrixspoon - Avatar
Mowsel - Avatar
ndeasey - No Avatar
Pharmer Ray - No Avatar
Scouser - Avatar
Talisen - No Avatar

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still getting geared up for DragonCon. Good thing is that Iron Fist and Wolverine will be finished by then. Now I just need to get Booker and Elizabeth done for the missus and I for the parade.

This will be my first Dragon Con this year, not sure about the meetup since we will be driving from St. Louis all day Thursday. I will have my Edward Kenway costume and MAYBE Iron Man Mk 43. (that my be a long shot at this point) Look forward to seeing fellow members there.

This will be my first Dragon Con this year, not sure about the meetup since we will be driving from St. Louis all day Thursday. I will have my Edward Kenway costume and MAYBE Iron Man Mk 43. (that my be a long shot at this point) Look forward to seeing fellow members there.

I'd love to see the Iron Man suit. Are you going to try to make it to the big Marvel shoot this year at the Hilton?

So far I'll be there as Radiation suit Doc Brown and Casey Jones from the TMNT 1990 film. Anyone else going as anything that relates?

My gf and I are doing Rocksteady and Bebop, not going fur suit or anything. More of a human/cyberpunk take. I'm also thinking of doing a Casey Jones mashup on a different day. Where did you get the mask? I've been looking at a few vendors on Etsy.

As a reminder, we are having an RPF meet up...So if your name / handle is not on this list and you plan on attending the meet please let me know that you would like to attend the meet up, this will let us know that we need to have a RPF badge for you. We will be doing a head count closer to the event to insure that were not making badges for people that are not going to be able to make it...Thanks so much in advance....

These are the people that have said that there planing on attending the RPF Dragoncon Meet Up so far...

Andveryginger - Avatar
GotWookiee - Avatar
Grifter2013 - Avatar
Helpfulnerd - Avatar
HyruleInfantry - Avatar
hzdous - Avatar
ItalianNinja86 - No Avatar
Jaedena - Avatar
Lucianthinus - Avatar
Matrixspoon - Avatar
Mowsel - Avatar
ndeasey - No Avatar
Pharmer Ray - No Avatar
Scouser - Avatar
Talisen - No Avatar

Last edited by a moderator:
Since it hasn't been posted yet....the Marriott is under renovations AGAIN!

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...riott-marquis-new-look-will-be-something.html

They've evidently already replaced the carpet, but whether or not this will interfere with both rooms and con traveling experience, remains to be seen. Being that this a 5-6 month long renovation period, Dragoncon will most certainly be affected. The last time they did this was before the Pulse was installed, and the main party hotel was the Hyatt...so the con experience wasn't too swayed. Just some minor detours and what not. But now.....don't think that's gonna be the case -_-. Especially with how big the con has become since the last major change. Most of the con ain't gonna fit in the Hyatt this go around -_-.

Seems the Hyatt and the Hilton are about to be FLOODED. Cross your fingers that maybe the lobbies will be done in the next 3 months.

I don't mind getting through the Hilton, but I may avoid the Marriott and Hyatt if it comes to that. Thankfully my costumes aren't going to be an issue when it comes to getting through the foot traffic.

We won't be getting in until Friday, so we won't make the meet up - have fun, though!

With those renovations and the size increase, it's going to be even harder to find people we know! Hope I'll see some of you at some point.

We won't be getting in until Friday, so we won't make the meet up - have fun, though!

With those renovations and the size increase, it's going to be even harder to find people we know! Hope I'll see some of you at some point.

Usually closer to the con we all post pictures of our costumes that we will be wearing so you know who and what to look out for in case you see one of us...

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back