Efx TIE- is it worth it?

Yorkie Fett

Sr Member
Ok, before I start, I know prop buying is pretty much a 'what you're prepared to pay for it' situation, but I just need a little bit of a nudge from those in the know.

As the title suggests, I would like to know whether the Efx TIE is worth the big bucks that are being offered for at the moment.

I'm seriously considering dropping a large sum of money on a new, sealed TIE, but the problem is I'm in the UK so looking at big shipping costs and a rather large import charge. Are these likely to go up in value? Would waiting see the prices come down? Do people hang on to these since there was a relatively small number produced?

So what do owners think? Go for it or save your money (I was asking in the JY but had no luck- seems people don't want to let them go!).

I just got one too, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it.

It's very cool I must say. There's a lot of cool detail that you only see when you stare at it. . It's freakin big too.

My only gripe is that the base is so large, I cannot use it. I am using an EFX helmet base for now until I make a new base for the TIE. But that's just me, and I have normal shelves. ^_^

I think they're going to go up like the X-Wing, and the MR studio scales honestly. In fact they already have a bit. You definitely can't find it for retail...

are there no uk outlets selling these?

may save a bit on shipping and import tax.

Ok, before I start, I know prop buying is pretty much a 'what you're prepared to pay for it' situation, but I just need a little bit of a nudge from those in the know.

As the title suggests, I would like to know whether the Efx TIE is worth the big bucks that are being offered for at the moment.

I'm seriously considering dropping a large sum of money on a new, sealed TIE, but the problem is I'm in the UK so looking at big shipping costs and a rather large import charge. Are these likely to go up in value? Would waiting see the prices come down? Do people hang on to these since there was a relatively small number produced?

So what do owners think? Go for it or save your money (I was asking in the JY but had no luck- seems people don't want to let them go!).

I own it and it is in my top 5 collectibles. Will it raise in value you ask? It will for the simple reason that except the old Icons and this eFX rendition, we don't have aby other high end, especially Studio Scale TIE Fighter. The eFX TIE is a fantastic replica, you won't be sorry getting one.

I know a guy... If you really want one I can PM you his email. It'll be upwards of $1350 for sure though...

Couple of these on Ebay at the moment- one is a steal if you live in the States.

Thank you both.

It is one of those items I would like to have, but not not really compelled to have. I have the X-Wing and my main interest would be as a companion piece, not so much because I really want to have a TIE Fighter. Of course, if the price was right, my interest level would shift. When things like this happen, I always ponder my mental list of items I would rather have in my collection and what I could get instead.

Thank you both.

It is one of those items I would like to have, but not not really compelled to have. I have the X-Wing and my main interest would be as a companion piece, not so much because I really want to have a TIE Fighter. Of course, if the price was right, my interest level would shift. When things like this happen, I always ponder my mental list of items I would rather have in my collection and what I could get instead.

I know exactly what you mean. I was always going to have the X Wing, Vader helmet and Scout Trooper helmet plus many other props, but the TIE was never on my most wanted list.
However, reading a couple of threads started the itch. The fact nobody seemed to have a bad word and the fact it was a relatively small issue number, made the itch get worse. You start looking at pictures again and again and before you know it, you've pushed the button.
Really glad I started this thread as it's helped me make the decision and I've now just landed myself one thanks to Forcesensitive.
Should be here next week.

I had hoped that maybe Redfordfilms.com (no toy wars.com) would have slow moving stock and i could pick up the TIE during one of their 20% off stock items sale, I picked up both the Luke Return of the Jedi Reveal Lightsaber and the eFX Vader LE helmet during those deals. Both items that I like but the extra stagings and free shipping sold me.

Not to put a sour note on this... but wasn't there some sort of stability wing issue? Like they fell off easily?

Hadn't heard of that one- I was aware that some sort of screw misallignment affected one or two TIEs but not sure it was all of them. Certainly doesn't appear to be anything too major judging by most of the reviews I've seen. Let's hope this isn't a problem on the one I'm getting.

Mine are so tight they're never coming off. In fact... if your wing bolt caps are tight... I think you should do what I didn't and sand the inner surface. If you ever want to sell it you'll need to get it apart. I don't think mine will come off without breakage... guess I gotta keeper then. ^_^

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back