Efx TIE- is it worth it?

LOL. At least they are nice girls. ;) Still this thread talks a lot about the TIE and no pics of the eFX TIE.

Since you're a good sport.

I'm hurting for display space in the prop room so this is the best I can do till I get new furniture/fixtures.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Looking good man! I had to make a new stand base for mine... that EFX one is huge.

The X Wing looks big too! Can't wait to get one!

Your TIE is about to explode, the Pilot knows it. Send it to me asap and I'll fix it for you. ;)

Anyway very cool! Is the most impressive collectible on the shelves there

I wanted to give my thoughts/observations on this piece.

First off, none of my comments are about accuracy as I just don't know the small details of what makes a great model replica. What I can say, is it looks a whole lot like a TIE Fighter and I'll take the praise from the members here about eFx's product speak for itself.

I like the way the wings bolt on. At first I did not have the Wings set flush against the support mount but I noticed the gap and fixed it.

The one thing that freaked me out was the display post. Instructions said not to over tighten so I secured to what I believed was correct. As I positioned the base, it seemed as if the post was wobbly. Instead of taking a screwdriver to it, I simply tried to twist the post. However as a result, I dislocated the acrylic disk on the bottom of the post. The disk that the bolt fastened into was only about .5" thick. I would think that it should be a little longer inside the post as if it did give away, it would be less likely to fall over. Anyhow, I used Gorilla glue (the stuff that turned to foam) and it did the trick fixing it.

I have mixed feelings about the base. As mentioned by Scottjua, it is big. It is once that it is made to accept a custom cover. But it just doesn't flow with the base of my eFx X-Wing sitting next to it. I guess maybe I would have liked the X-Wing to have come with the same type of base rather than having to buy it as an extra.

I know the windowless cockpit is accurate to the studio model. I think it would have been interesting if they made an interchangeable front piece to switch out as the buyer preferred to display.

It is great that it has lights for the rear ion engines but due to the way it is displayed, the effect is lost. Maybe someday both my X-Wing and TIE will be displayed in way that takes advantage of the lights. I do like that it used batteries instead of the cumbersome cord of the X-Wing.

It's and impressive piece and it definitely make my collection POP!.

Get a clear acrylic cover made with a mirrored acrylic piece for the rear of this cover. That way you can see the rear of it.

All I can say as in my personal involvement was only helping with kit identification and some wing headaches. The Model is made as the SS model was. No canopy glass etc...The vast majority of the SW models had no glass in the canopy as it led to unwanted glare from lights etc. . I'm very proud of the model personally. And I anticipate I will be equally proud of the future EFX SS model releases. It took 10+ years to ID everything on the Tie FYI. :wacko The EFX X-Wing was Idealized, thus not studio accurate.

All I can say as in my personal involvement was only helping with kit identification and some wing headaches. The Model is made as the SS model was. No canopy glass etc...The vast majority of the SW models had no glass in the canopy as it led to unwanted glare from lights etc. . I'm very proud of the model personally. And I anticipate I will be equally proud of the future EFX SS model releases. It took 10+ years to ID everything on the Tie FYI. :wacko The EFX X-Wing was Idealized, thus not studio accurate.

From everything I can see it's pretty spot on. Aside from the Steve N decal... pretty sure that wasn't on the original. ^_^

As for the base, I like the idea of it... for a cover, but it's so large you need special space for it or a large surface. So I made my own. I will take pics and post it up.

All I can say as in my personal involvement was only helping with kit identification and some wing headaches. The Model is made as the SS model was. No canopy glass etc...The vast majority of the SW models had no glass in the canopy as it led to unwanted glare from lights etc. . I'm very proud of the model personally.

Right, and I understand that. I'm not trying to say it is an error. I am just saying it would have been nice to have an option for display. I'm more of an idealized type.

For the idealized ships one can go with Code 3 ships. This being an as close as possible replica of the screen used TIE, it is not idealized. I love it as it is, a VERY impressive piece.

Here is my eFX TIE Fighter on display:

r2tn.jpg

For the idealized ships one can go with Code 3 ships. This being an as close as possible replica of the screen used TIE, it is not idealized. I love it as it is, a VERY impressive piece.

I have the Code 3 , Vader TIE, X-Wing, and Falcon. I enjoy them very much plus for the money (original costs) it was a great buy. But with the eFx ships, they pale in the shadow of the size and detail.

Once again, not sure why I still need to repeat myself but it seems to be getting missed... I know that these are accurate to the studio model and that cockpit window is not suppose to be there. I k ew this going into the purchase... I knew that about the filming model for years and years. I'm not complaining about it. All I amsaying is it would have been cool to have a the part switch out for those who wanted to display that way. It would compliment the the glass in their X-wing.. Maybe they should have included a non glass canopy for them to switch out on that. It's not an unusual idea. MR did it with that extra piece on the EE Han blaster and eFx had switch out lenses. It was just a thought I had that I wrote down.

One more time... I know that these are accurate to the studio model and that cockpit window is not suppose to be there. I'm good with that.

Sheesh! :p

fyi: I always enjoy picts of your displays.

I have the Code 3 , Vader TIE, X-Wing, and Falcon. I enjoy them very much plus for the money (original costs) it was a great buy. But with the eFx ships, they pale in the shadow of the size and detail.

Once again, not sure why I still need to repeat myself but it seems to be getting missed... I know that these are accurate to the studio model and that cockpit window is not suppose to be there. I k ew this going into the purchase... I knew that about the filming model for years and years. I'm not complaining about it. All I amsaying is it would have been cool to have a the part switch out for those who wanted to display that way. It would compliment the the glass in their X-wing.. Maybe they should have included a non glass canopy for them to switch out on that. It's not an unusual idea. MR did it with that extra piece on the EE Han blaster and eFx had switch out lenses. It was just a thought I had that I wrote down.

One more time... I know that these are accurate to the studio model and that cockpit window is not suppose to be there. I'm good with that.

Sheesh!
cheeky.png

fyi: I always enjoy picts of your displays.

I know some people go idealized on their stuff, I do some times too, but not with this great piece - IMO any changing to it would make it less than what it already is (maybe except having real Koolshade on the wings). eFX is going more or less Legend these days and thus they are trying to keep stuff as accurate as possible, and I totally respect that. The only thing that was different at first from the eFX TIE we got in the end, was an idea of a regular TIE pilot inside instead the gray model one we got. But the TIE we got in the end was what they filmed back then, and that is what most of us want. ;)

Ok not great pics... no time lately to wait for better light, and I'm too lazy to get out the real camera gear.

So I made this from acrylic and aluminum:

IMG_7649.JPG

IMG_7650.JPG

IMG_7652.JPG

IMG_7653.JPG

I'll take prettier pics eventually.

You really need a display case for it, I would be teriffied to have it in open like that, knowing about its fragility.

On another note, I'm still wondering why isn't eFX offering separate stands and plaque holders for sale, so many fans asked for them. They could leave out the SW logo, if licensing would be a problem, they would sell like hotcakes.

^_^ I prefer having access to it, to turn and stare whenever I need a break from whatever I'm doing. Actually I think I might take the AT-AT cover off... It' just so heavy and a pain to move.

The shelf isn't going anywhere for sure, so I'm not too worried about it. The stand is more study than the EFX one.

I love my eFX TIE. I have still yet to make a custom base for it though, so it fits in my display cabinet. Still deciding to go with a Death Star base or just plain black.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back