Show off your RE weathered Obi sabers!

Did you put powder between the cuts in the grenade or use scotch brite? Or something else completely? Either way, it looks geat! Nice job! :cheers

Thank you! Good eye, Roman. I actually mixed dirt and baby powder to make my own version of a Fuller's Earth. It seemed to stick in the grooves pretty well. I didn't want to do anything too permanent to the grenade.

I've always preferred the weathered look on the pommel, but yeah, that shine is starting to grown on me. :cool Very nice!! :cool

I don't want anyone mad at me ;), but I may have to rethink my next run.

I agree with you too. Looking at the original and all the real handwheels that we have seen, all of them even if they have minor chrome flaking or hairline surface scratches are still shiny and all chromed out goodness. Not to mention by the time the screen used saber shows up, the actual tap handle on the prop had only been around say less than 10 years as an estimate. It wasn't very old.

I've always preferred the weathered look on the pommel, but yeah, that shine is starting to grown on me. :cool Very nice!! :cool

I don't want anyone mad at me ;), but I may have to rethink my next run.

Maybe offer chromed as an option? I think most people would be satisfied with the weathered one because that's what they're expecting with a beat up saber. Some may even think the shiny chrome looks out of place. But if you're going for accuracy, you've got to go chromed.

This saber has a mind of it's own, I can't stop messing with it. LOL I wanted a more authentic looking weathering on my emitter. Though it doesn't look like the prop, it looks more true to the Inconel found on balance pipes. I etched the steel with vinegar, salt and a 9volt battery. This gave me a matte finish on the BP to weather. I like the way it turned out, my cam phone doesn't capture it very well.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.jpg
    IMG_0235.jpg
    668 KB · Views: 385
  • IMG_1209.jpg
    IMG_1209.jpg
    933.7 KB · Views: 351
This saber has a mind of it's own, I can't stop messing with it. LOL I wanted a more authentic looking weathering on my emitter. Though it doesn't look like the prop, it looks more true to the Inconel found on balance pipes. I etched the steel with vinegar, salt and a 9volt battery. This gave me a matte finish on the BP to weather. I like the way it turned out, my cam phone doesn't capture it very well.

Is that a REAL booster? The Balance pipe looks good :)

So . . . how does that salt, vinegar and 9 Volt solution work exactly? Could you describe the process step by step, please? I still have a replica emitter to finish someday and I really like the look and feel of yours :)

Chaim

So . . . how does that salt, vinegar and 9 Volt solution work exactly? Could you describe the process step by step, please? I still have a replica emitter to finish someday and I really like the look and feel of yours :)

Chaim
Hi Chaim. Thanks for the compliments. I read online about how to do this. You need some white vinegar mixed with regular table salt. There no real formula, but I used 2-3 oz of vinegar and probably a tablespoon of salt. Use wires and alligator clips to connect the positive and neg on the 9v batter. Use one to ground onto the metal you are etching and the other to hold a cotton swab that you have dipped into the solution. I did a few passes over the whole outer sleeve. This produced a finish close to what I wanted. Then I had to use a lot of heat, flames etc to weather it, then I left it in a rusty fire pit for a few hours. We had rain the other day and the fire pit likes to fill up with rusty water. THis helped me get the look I wanted. One thing to note. The finish is more of a blasted look. I tested the method on another piece of steel and it produced a softer smooth finish. I weathered this one so many times prior to this using the oven, scorching it with flames that the outer finish is different and even closer to what I desired.

Here's a close up of my result. Honestly at one point, I thought I'd messed it up and would need to use steel wool to start over. All of the previous weathering has made this BP a bear to work with. It was difficult to take the weathering and the steel wool I hit it with did nothing. I'm done now as I think all of the heat and other weathering really had an affect on it.

Attachments

• DSCN6281.JPG
    DSCN6281.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 346
I wasn't going to but I messed with mine as well. I let my daughters roll the grenade, booster, and emitter around on my concrete garage floor a bit. I ordered a set of transistors on e ay but the envelope arrived torn open and the transistors were gone. I guess that is a sign that I don't need them. :(

i'm also going to be making myself a weathered plaque for it.

Now that's how you get good random weathering...now why didn't I think of that? LOL
Also, I've gone back and forth on the tape vs no tape on the clamp and I just can't get it to
look right. Each attempt on my part look out of place. I may leave it off. I've seen many of your sabers on the forum that have it and it looks great. I just can't get it right.
I have a 4 piece handwheel on its way from a wonderful member here that gave a more than fair trade! It needs to be plated, but after that, I
think my saber will be done. I wish I wasn't so OCD about details. My current replica handwheel looks perfect as is. I
must be mad :facepalm

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back