3D models - Turbo Sausage

Turbo Sausage

Link to the models (Disclaimer: this is a link to my Shapeways page)

Hey everyone,

I'm editing this thread as I go to try and keep it tidy, not exactly sure on the best way to do this but I don't think it's worth starting a new thread for each new project, so I'll update the title with whatever I'm modelling at the time. I'll also try and keep a list at the top of which models are complete.

As before if you have a suggestion for a small-medium model (no Iron-man suits) then please feel free to post it here. If a few people suggest the same items then I'll try and go for them, otherwise I'll just pick whichever ones inspire me the most. Critique on my work is welcomed, if you spot something that you think is terribly inaccurate please do point it out :thumbsup

Regards,

Turbo Sausage

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Your suggestions/requests for a small 3D model project. - Turbo Sausage

Space 1999 stun gun. screen size. not eBay crap size...

Lightsabers are a perennial favorite....

How about the oscillation overthruster from "The Adventures of Buckeroo Banzai…?"

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406715708.593544.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406715739.842386.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions so far everyone, at the moment I feel more drawn towards the 1999 space gun and the golden snitch, although a light Sabre would be pretty cool.

Sean - If I modeled the space gun do you have more details on the proper specs handy? (not the e-bay crap size). ;)

Mike J - I'm a little surprised to see a light Sabre mentioned (even though they are pretty EPIC), I figured that there would be loads of 3D models available out there already, did you have a particular one in mind or was it just a general suggestions as a fun project?

Villeslekinen - Had a quick google for ref images on the looker gun (as well as your link) and found it difficult to find any decent detail pictures so I'm afraid it's not at the top of my list. But it is on my list :)

appvandergriff - I like the snitch idea and I think my nephews would like it too, Seems there are a few different props out there already that have different details so if you have any links to images or advice on what is considered the "correct" details, please feel free to share.

ahoudini - I thought the looker gun was an off beat suggestion, never heard of the overthruster or Buckeroo Banzai before. Just checked out some youtube clips, I've been missing out :). It's on the list but not at the top I'm afraid. Great looking prop though!

As I said before, if there are multiple requests for the same prop then that will probably sway me, otherwise I'll pick one and make a start this weekend.

Please keep the suggestions coming!

Thanks

Hi all, I decided to go with the Golden Snitch as my first project, it's a fairly simple shape and will make a nice little prop :)

I started it a couple of nights go so have some progress to share with you now, it will be pretty slow going as I have to fit it around everything else and I'm still a bit green.
My main problem at the moment is getting some good reference pictures from different angles, especially the underside.

I'm going to try and model the snitch from the Deathly Hallows (with the raised details not the engraved details). If you can help me out with some more reference pictures then please add them here or link to them.

Here are a couple of WIP pictures, crit/suggestions about details or advice on setup for 3D printing are very welcome.

Turbo_Sausage_Snitch001.jpg
Turbo_Sausage_snitch003.jpg

That looks good. sorry I did not catch your question about the 1999 gun. I have a ton of pic's but no real screen size confirmed on that.

Re: 3D model project ideas - Turbo Sausage - Golden Snitch WIP

This is great! Of course, I'm a huge Potter nerd so I'm biased, but you did an outstanding job! If you want someone to test print this, I have a RapMan 3.1 3D printer. ;)

This is great! Of course, I'm a huge Potter nerd so I'm biased, but you did an outstanding job! If you want someone to test print this, I have a RapMan 3.1 3D printer. ;)
Thanks Digitizit, the details might be too small to come out well on a FMD extruder but I'll let you know how/where I'm gonna share it once it's finalised and converted to an STL file.

THAT IS AWESOME!!!! I referenced you in my Harry Potter thread:
http://www.therpf.com/f9/harry-potter-trunk-7-years-hogwarts-box-217763/
Are you planning on having this 3D Printed?
Thanks apvandergriff, I do plan to get this printed when it's finished, probably at shapeways and in plastic (although it would be cool in brass or gold!). I'll post the results here
Very impressive work, the lighting really makes it pop.
What did you use to model and render the Snitch? Whatever it was you made it look very cool.
Thanks renaissance man, it was modelled in 3ds max and rendered in Keyshot (highly recommended Keyshot for quick beauty renders with minimum setup!)

Thanks Digitizit, the details might be too small to come out well on a FMD extruder but I'll let you know how/where I'm gonna share it once it's finalised and converted to an STL file.

That's entirely possible, but I can print at .1mm layer thickness. I've managed to get some pretty small details out of it.

I have a cast of the snitch that came out of the molds they used for the screen used versions, and yours looks bang on from what I can tell. I'll dig it out of the box to compare, but it looks great! If you offer this, either as an STL or as a finished piece, I'm interested!

Would you consider doing a version that reads "I open at the close"?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 297

That's entirely possible, but I can print at .1mm layer thickness. I've managed to get some pretty small details out of it.

I have a cast of the snitch that came out of the molds they used for the screen used versions, and yours looks bang on from what I can tell. I'll dig it out of the box to compare, but it looks great! If you offer this, either as an STL or as a finished piece, I'm interested!

Cool, if you get time to dig it out that would be great, thanks

Would you consider doing a version that reads "I open at the close"?

I did consider it, but I was worried that the text would be too small to be readable and it might look better/tidier as it is. Shapeways give some minimum sizes for things like embossing and details, they advise that any text is at least 0.5mm to be legible. And with the snitch scaled at 35mm diameter I'm sure the text would be below that in certain areas. I'll do more research into it and may try anyway though. It's not such a bad thing if it can't be done, as in the movie it did't have the writing on it all the time. (cop-out I know!).

I managed to test converting the model to an STL using Netfab and uploaded it to shapeways to see how much it would cost to print out. It's not too bad as I made it hollow to keep the cost down. Already receiving messages asking if I will be making it available to sale but I may test print one first as I don't want to upset anyone if it doesn't come out as intended.

Thinking about making a simple stand for it as well. Stay tuned

Last edited:

Did you order one through Shapeways? What material did you or would you get it printed in?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back