3D models - Turbo Sausage

Re: 3D model project ideas - Turbo Sausage - Golden Snitch WIP

Only just came across this thread! Very cool to see the process come together.

Still planning to order a print from Shapeways come pay day later this week ;)
I'll have more snitches than I know what to do with soon!

I'm guessing you arent planning on releasing the 3d file free Turbo Sausage? Understandable of course, it looks like a lot of effort has gone into it!

I was planning on making my first "cast" process using my 3D printer with a snitch file, and this would be a fantastic first go at that. It looks absolutely brilliant!

Further to my earlier post - I went to purchase a print of the model this evening, but had an error come up that it in fact couldn't be printed!
From the email I received, it could be that it's a bit too fragile. Perhaps thickening the snitch a bit so it's a bit more solid will remedy the issue. And unfortunately add a little bit to the cost.

Just thought I'd give a heads up - and perhaps anyone who has a decent knowledge of printing their models from Shapeways can shed some light on how to best make it strong, as well as keeping the cost down :)

Further to my earlier post - I went to purchase a print of the model this evening, but had an error come up that it in fact couldn't be printed!
From the email I received, it could be that it's a bit too fragile. Perhaps thickening the snitch a bit so it's a bit more solid will remedy the issue. And unfortunately add a little bit to the cost.

Just thought I'd give a heads up - and perhaps anyone who has a decent knowledge of printing their models from Shapeways can shed some light on how to best make it strong, as well as keeping the cost down :)

Hi joostin, thanks for the heads up!

Strange that Shapeways let me upload it and gave me green ticks for all of the minimum thickness specs. I'll see if I can get more info on why it failed and when I get some spare time (probably at the weekend) I'll try some different versions with thicker walls etc. I could make the 'shoulders' part of the main piece but that will require a 4mm hole at the bottom of the model, I could also try a completely solid piece with no holes or separate parts but that will obviously bump the price up.

If anybody has any other suggestions feel free.

And thanks again for the feedback joostin.

I just had a quick look and it seems as though the main issue is that the small parts may get lost during the polishing process. I'll copy and paste the reason from Shapeways below as it's quite interesting to read about the process. I'll also add a picture of the part that they are referring to. I think the easiest ways around this will be to either choose a material that doesn't require the same polishing procedure or I could just lengthen the post on the 'shoulder' part so that it's combined dimension is above 25mm, which would mean adding 10mm to it.

Shapeways - "

Model or Part Too SmallDescription This product has parts that are too small to be manufactured in this material. In order for us to print, clean, quality check, and ship your model, we must be able to handle all of the parts without losing them through various stages of manual and automatic processes. We therefore require that the smallest part of the product to have the sum of its dimensions be greater than 25mm. (X + Y + Z > 25mm). All materials specified as dyed or polished are manually cleaned and then submerged in a circular vibratory tumbler full of thousands of ceramic pellets for several hours. Each pellet is approximately 4.5mm wide and 11mm long, and will exert a slight pressure on all sides of your model during polishing. Any part that is smaller than the size of one pellet is typically lost or not polished consistently on all of its surfaces. We encourage you to iterate on your design to ensure a quality print. Please consider: 1. Enlarge or remove the unattached parts of your model that do not meet this requirement. Or 2. Order this model in a material with a smaller minimum size requirement.(Unpolished Strong and Flexible, Detailed Plastics, or Frosted Detail Plastic) ".

rejection.jpg

I'll still try adding slightly different variations to see how it affects the prices etc. but I may first concentrate on trying the original design with a modified/lengthened part.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited:

625x465_2351504_4433755_1408132353.jpg

Hey all, I have now added the modified file to Shapeways and hopefully it will pass they're 'manual' inspection.

I also added a solid model out of interest for price comparisons. (Complete with 14k gold! for you millionaires)

Attachments

• 99x74_2351504_4433755_1408132353.jpg
    99x74_2351504_4433755_1408132353.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 437

Turbo,
I am definitely interested to see how this come out. Are you ordering one?

Turbo,
I am definitely interested to see how this come out. Are you ordering one?
Im sure I will at some point as it did turn out really well, the only thing that's stopped me clicking the buy button is the postage, I'm in the UK so the postage is almost as much as the 3d printing. The main reason for doing this was to gain some experience modeling and to learn a bit more about the 3d printing process [emoji3] which I have!

Thanks for the snitch suggestion btw apvandergriff, it was a great idea. I hope you end up with one.

Made some progress with a display stand for the Snitch, kept it simple but managed to incorporate the Deathly Hallows symbol into the base.

Stand (1)_30.jpgStand (2)_30.jpg

Here's a link to the Shapeways page in case anyone is interested in seeing the models. I changed my name from Turbo Sausage to Form 3D on there but it's still me. If you have your own 3D printer and would like to have a go with the file for yourself please PM me with your details/intentions. Cheers

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/Turbosausage

Last edited:

I've finally ordered myself a snitch and stand in polished plastic, I'll update when I have more to report

Aw Turbo! I was about to offer you a free print (wouldn't be able to promise to match the quality of shapeways!) so that you didnt have to pay for your model - I am also based in the UK!

If you ever want to test something, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Aw Turbo! I was about to offer you a free print (wouldn't be able to promise to match the quality of shapeways!) so that you didnt have to pay for your model - I am also based in the UK!

If you ever want to test something, I'd be more than happy to help out.

Doh! Thanks for the offer anyway Fawbish, I'll keep you in mind for future projects. It will be good to test the Shapeways system anyway as I plan on doing a lot of 3D modelling in the future. What printer do you have? Recommend it?

Doh! Thanks for the offer anyway Fawbish, I'll keep you in mind for future projects. It will be good to test the Shapeways system anyway as I plan on doing a lot of 3D modelling in the future. What printer do you have? Recommend it?

I have the XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 - so far I am very happy with it, but I am only just getting into my "print" journey. Check out my testing and thoughts over here as I update it with images of the printers work - http://www.therpf.com/f9/trials-tribulations-my-da-vinci-1-0-3d-printer-220694/

I have just looked at uploading one of the 3D models I have worked with to shapeways, the prices look quite hefty but not as bad as I'd imagined. In terms of selling prints, that would possibly be another avenue I'd look into once I'm creating a few more models.

Looking forward to seeing how the shapeways looks! I imagine with their stuff the prints will look phenomenal.

I have the XYZprinting Da Vinci 1.0 - so far I am very happy with it, but I am only just getting into my "print" journey. Check out my testing and thoughts over here as I update it with images of the printers work - http://www.therpf.com/f9/trials-tribulations-my-da-vinci-1-0-3d-printer-220694/

I have just looked at uploading one of the 3D models I have worked with to shapeways, the prices look quite hefty but not as bad as I'd imagined. In terms of selling prints, that would possibly be another avenue I'd look into once I'm creating a few more models.

Looking forward to seeing how the shapeways looks! I imagine with their stuff the prints will look phenomenal.

Just had a quick look through your thread, it looks like a lot of fun, bit of a learning curve too!. It's great to see the prints that you've done so far and will be interesting to see what your able to produce in the future. :cool

Last edited:
Re: 3D model projects - Turbo Sausage - Golden Snitch WIP

Turbo Sausage,

Excellent work! :thumbsup I was wanting to make my own snitch, but after seeing the affordable versions you offer through Shapeways, I went ahead and purchased two of the smooth yellow ones. I'm going to attempt to apply some 24k gold leaf and make and attach some wings. I let you know how that works out!

The solid gold version and its price certainly brought a smile to my face. :D

ATL Kenobi

Just placed my order for the revised model using my store credit from the original ;)
Keen to see how it turns out!

Turbo Sausage,

Excellent work! :thumbsup I was wanting to make my own snitch, but after seeing the affordable versions you offer through Shapeways, I went ahead and purchased two of the smooth yellow ones. I'm going to attempt to apply some 24k gold leaf and make and attach some wings. I let you know how that works out!

The solid gold version and its price certainly brought a smile to my face. :D

ATL Kenobi

Hey ATL, that's great news. Hope that the delivery cost didn't sting you too badly. Great idea with the gold leaf, I'll be interested to see how it turns out! Please do share your progress with us by either posting some pics here or sending me the link to your own thread.

I just had to add the 14k solid gold option, it's tongue in cheek but wouldn't it be awesome!? Somebody somewhere must have a few grand spare? This needs to exist..

Just placed my order for the revised model using my store credit from the original ;)
Keen to see how it turns out!

Excellent joostin, I'm pleased to be able to tell you that I have received the green light from Shapeways, the polished plastic Snitch has passed the inspection and is on it's way to the Forge! Yours won't be far behind :)

Last edited:

Pictures of finished or in-progress snitches anyone? I'd love to see how they are coming out!

Have you thought of etched brass for wings? I can't remember if the body design changed when the wings came out.
I'd love to get one of these in polished brass!

I got to hold a real production snitch (briefly) during production of the second film. If it didn't HAVE to go in a box to be delivered within the hour, I would have grabbed a camera.
Oh the missed opportunity!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back