Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

I can't watch Ep 8 because I'm not invested in the storyline/characters from TFA...
In my opinion, TFA was an extremely poor movie, a copy of ANH, more plot holes than I have time to list here, awful dialogue and too 'Disney'...

Examples of why I thought TFA was terrible...

Not one original new Planet or setting...
First Order, Resistance, Republic are nonsensical political organisations after ROTJ...
Lightsabers that 'call-out'...
Back story to Luke's Bespin Lightsaber is "for another time"...
Poe Dameron shooting one TIE Fighter after another instantly whilst doing aerobatics in his X-Wing, totally out of sync with how that works in EVERY OTHER Star Wars film ...
The Millennium Falcon coming out of Hyperspace 100 yards above Starkiller Base surface using the reactions of a human being and surviving, in fact if any ship in Hyperspace can get through the shield then why not just send an unmanned ship at Hyperspeed into the mouth of the Starkiller Weapon/Base and destroy it?
The opportunity to have Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill in-shot together in a Star Wars movie lost/ignored
Kylo Ren... really?

and so-on and so-on...

I could go on; however, the point is that I don't need to have conjecture about TLJ because I won't be seeing it...
As far as I'm concerned the Star Wars movie series ended with ROTJ and the Saga was completed by the Expanded Universe...
I would be prepared to accept losing the Expanded Universe IF DISNEY HAD USED SOME IMAGINATION, made something original and remained true to the Star Wars ethos...

I love Star Wars, it's my passion, Rogue One was excellent for me because it had to conform to the Star Wars world that existed beteween Ep3 and Ep4 and remained faithful to the 'feel' of Episodes 1-6...

I will never forgive Disney and JJ Abrams for the mess that is TFA, a mess that has ruined any future Star Wars movies for me as I don't really care what happens to characters and storyline from TFA any more...

Rant Over

Last edited:
i wished ep7 was more a journey about how luke would rebuild the jedi order. instead it was skipped for what many say was something similar to ep4 and while i enjoyed it i did see the similarities and had little interest in many characters like finn. Rey im curious to find out more about but finn i even found annoying at times. hopefully ep8 will deliver something fresh and new altho i am worried a bit.

I can't watch Ep 8 because I'm not invested in the storyline/characters from TFA...
In my opinion, TFA was an extremely poor movie, a copy of ANH, more plot holes than I have time to list here, awful dialogue and too 'Disney'...

Examples of why I thought TFA was terrible...

Not one original new Planet or setting...
First Order, Resistance, Republic are nonsensical political organisations after ROTJ...
Lightsabers that 'call-out'...
Back story to Luke's Bespin Lightsaber is "for another time"...
Poe Dameron shooting one TIE Fighter after another instantly whilst doing aerobatics in his X-Wing, totally out of sync with how that works in EVERY OTHER Star Wars film ...
The Millennium Falcon coming out of Hyperspace 100 yards above Starkiller Base surface using the reactions of a human being and surviving, in fact if any ship in Hyperspace can get through the shield then why not just send an unmanned ship at Hyperspeed into the mouth of the Starkiller Weapon/Base and destroy it?
The opportunity to have Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill in-shot together in a Star Wars movie lost/ignored
Kylo Ren... really?

and so-on and so-on...

I could go on; however, the point is that I don't need to have conjecture about TLJ because I won't be seeing it...
As far as I'm concerned the Star Wars movie series ended with ROTJ and the Saga was completed by the Expanded Universe...
I would be prepared to accept losing the Expanded Universe IF DISNEY HAD USED SOME IMAGINATION, made something original and remained true to the Star Wars ethos...

I love Star Wars, it's my passion, Rogue One was excellent for me because it had to conform to the Star Wars world that existed beteween Ep3 and Ep4 and remained faithful to the 'feel' of Episodes 1-6...

I will never forgive Disney and JJ Abrams for the mess that is TFA, a mess that has ruined any future Star Wars movies for me as I don't really care what happens to characters and storyline from TFA any more...

Rant Over

As much as I enjoyed TFA, you make excellent arguments I can't deny. If anything TFA took the taste of the Prequels out if my mouth and was a bridge from the OT to a new generation.

I'm hoping TLJ goes a better and more original direction.

the point is that I don't need to have conjecture about TLJ because I won't be seeing it...

Rant Over

Then why are you even in this thread?

I guess I ought to stop pointing this out, but we seem to have a growing problem with people who feel compelled to come onto a thread talking about Ep. 8 and tell us over and over again why they hated TFA, and why they will never ever watch Ep. 8 and so on and on and on.

Just why?

It's fine... don't like it. It's all good.

But why do those of us who have a positive outlook have to hear about it?

Free speech? Yeah, sure...

I think it's something else. i think it's that negativity loves an audience, and since it rarely has one on it's own it has to go looking for one; among those who disagree with it.

Once more.... back to discussing TLJ, shall we? Can we have an end to complaining about how much some people didn't like TFA? This isn't the TFA thread! Go over there and complain if you like... at least it'd be on topic.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=252080&highlight=(Post-release)

Rant Over

We saw 2 different films because I LOVED it and Kylo Ren? Hell yes, really!

I believe we're just getting started and these characters are going to grow a lot more in the films to come.

I guess I ought to stop pointing this out, but we seem to have a growing problem with people who feel compelled to come onto a thread talking about Ep. 8 and tell us over and over again why they hated TFA, and why they will never ever watch Ep. 8 and so on and on and on.

Just why?

While i agree with you especially about there being no need to hear what is wrong with ep7 in detail, there is no denying you cant exclude talks about ep7 and what people would like ep8 to have that was not in ep7. aslong as it is still in line with the subject of the thread and not just a negative rant.

That wasn't really how it was presented though. If that was the intent of the author it didn't come across.

Another part of it (and this is flatly not directed at anyone in particular) but the anonymity of a board like this has an effect on some of not doing any self-censoring and they just pop in blasting away. This happens a lot on a different board i'm on where people pop in out of the blue running their mouths without any respect for others or the way the place works. If you take a board - any board - there's a way things are done and handled. It may not be to your liking, but there's an order to them. One of the things I used to like about the limited registration periods here was that you'd be forced to follow for a while and get the lay of the land before joining. I'm not sure that's done anymore. But I digress. The anonymity allows people to say a lot they normally wouldn't.

Personally, if i see a thread on a flick from Quentin Tarentino - I just avoid it. I don't like his stuff. Period. End of story. I don't feel the need to jump in and tell everyone that. If I saw TFA and didn't like it (i did though) i'd feel compelled to chime in once to say it didn't work for me and here's why. I'd likely respond to counter posts, etc, but I wouldn't pop in over and over to say I don't like it. Just doesn't work that way IMO, or at least it shouldn't. Freedom of speech? whatever. They've made it clear this place has it's limits. People get spoken to for simply mentioned the name of someone banned for example - even if they didn't know they were banned. (Not arguing the point, pointing out the limit). The freedom of speech angle isn't protected, and frankly, is covered by saying it once. 15x is massive overkill.

If you don't like something, some need to learn to just let it go. There's far more things out there for you to invest time in liking.

And it's not to say there should never be dissent either. Their always should. But it should be in response to the conversation in hand and have a place. Not a random 'i don't like it' (or worse).

Bottom line, treat others and their threads/conversations with respect and there shouldn't be any issues.

It’s a shame things degrade at some point on threads like this. Seems it’s mostly when there’s nothing new to post.

I’m here every day reading, though rarely post. I enjoy reading people’s rants, as long as it doesn’t turn into something that suggests another’s POV is wrong. As long as it’s respectful, who cares?

I for one loved TFA and am REALLY looking forward to the next movie.

I loved how the good “guys” were so likable. Almost instantaneously. And while I was initially confused about Kylo, and his sucky baby whining, I came to actually really like his character. He’s his grandfather’s grandson for sure, but without the gravitas that Anakin developed. He’s pathetic, but I’m genuinely curious what they’ll turn his character into, and really think Snoke will be something grandly evil. At least I hope.

I too was bummed that Luke and Han never got to re-unit. Like really bummed. But I am super stoked to see Luke and Rye together, and see what they’re going to do with Finn’s character. AND what’s up with Poe????

Ya- they succeeded in making me want to see more.

Oh- and we WILL get to see Luke and Chewie! I'm guessing.

Then why are you even in this thread?

Just why?

It's fine... don't like it. It's all good.

But why do those of us who have a positive outlook have to hear about it?

Free speech? Yeah, sure...

I think it's something else. i think it's that negativity loves an audience, and since it rarely has one on it's own it has to go looking for one; among those who disagree with it.

Once more.... back to discussing TLJ, shall we? Can we have an end to complaining about how much some people didn't like TFA? This isn't the TFA thread! Go over there and complain if you like... at least it'd be on topic.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=252080&highlight=(Post-release)

Yeah the complaining gets old.

in the Rogue One thread I gave my negative review, argued a bit, and left... it was the Rogue One review thread... opinions on it fit there.

Now if I go into Young Han Solo and just complain over and over about Rogue One... come on. Ridiculous.

I was going to argue point by point the mostly non sensical complain lists above... but why bother.

It's ENTERTAINMENT kids.. you didn't like TFA, great! You're in the minority... stop being the VOCAL minority and whining in a thread about episode 8. At least go to the old TFA thread and do it there.

It's funny to me to hear so much negitivety and banter about TFA. If your a SWs fan you may not like one as the best or worst but be a SWs fan. Love all the diferances ..... looking forward to 8-9-10 and so on....

There's a lot of space being taken up complaining about the complainers, seemingly more than space being take up with complaints about VII and VIII, if we're on the subject of real estate. Never was a Star Wars thread created where prequel hate didn't infect it eventually and I lived through it.

It's a bit difficult to speculate on VIII without mentioning what came before it. Don't take it so hard people.

There's a lot of space being taken up complaining about the complainers, seemingly more than space being take up with complaints about VII and VIII, if we're on the subject of real estate. Never was a Star Wars thread created where prequel hate didn't infect it eventually and I lived through it.

It's a bit difficult to speculate on VIII without mentioning what came before it. Don't take it so hard people.
Absolutely.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Kristen is going to have to go to therapy for writer's cramp from trying to put the point across that this is the Ep8 pre-release discussion thread, not the "I want to gripe and moan about what I don't like in other Star Wars movies" thread. I guess the urge to tell everyone that you hated TFA is not to be denied, huh? Give us a break and realize that we don't give a rat's ass what you think about anything in this thread other than conjecture and news about Ep8. Get thee hence that we may continue!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back