Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

As I recall, in the novelization Rey hears a voice telling her to finish Kylo Ren off but she regains control and decides against it. In the movie, a (convenient) chasm opens up, ending any further interaction. It'd make for an interesting twist if they do the ol' morality switcheroo on Rey and Ben but I'd kinda hate to see Rey go down that path. She's so likable, at least to me. Granted, that would stir emotions I never had when the same happened to Anakin. I honestly didn't care that much then.
I don't think they can reverse Rey and Kylo's roles at this point. Kylo Ren committed an unforgivable crime by killing Han Solo.

While some might argue that Vader was redeemed after killing Jedi younglings, Obi Wan and countless others - this was a deathbed redemption. While there could be parallels drawn, we never had him kill a character that we had so much invested in like Han Solo. I'm just not sure the audience is ready for that kind of "morality switcheroo," Kylo Ren might be redeemable, but not to the point where he can be rewarded by becoming the hero.

But, hey - who knows what they may do.

I wouldn't mind seeing them buck the whole redemption thing and make Kylo bad to the end. I think it'd be aping Vader's arc a bit too much otherwise.

The trick there is if balls of steel are maintained and it turns out or new Jedi heroin is actually the one that slaughtered all Luke's academy people while she herself was a child, and not Ben Solo, "Jedi" will have no play.

If you read Bloodline, you'll see that that can not possibly be the case.

I wouldn't mind seeing them buck the whole redemption thing and make Kylo bad to the end. I think it'd be aping Vader's arc a bit too much otherwise.

I agree 100% I would love to see Kylo fall even further and be consumed by the Dark Side. More so than Vader. Maybe he kills Snoke? Make it really really Dark! :)

As far as a redemption thing goes, anything is possible but I hope not. I was kind of disappointed with how kylo go so badly dominated by Rey. She literally picks up a lightsaber for the first time and whoops the hell out of, presumably, the most powerful dark jedi active at the moment. Kylo got pretty wrecked at the end of the movie too so we should see some heavy scaring. I know that shot to the gut from Chewie really hurt Kylo but I hope a freshly healed and trained Ren is really OP. I really want to see Luke completed shred the Knights of Ren or similar foes but none of the knights use lightsabers except for Kylo, or do they?? Guess we'll see. Luke's only real moments as a powerful Jedi were from ROTJ and I think we are way over due for Master Jedi level Luke Skywalker.

As far as a redemption thing goes, anything is possible but I hope not. I was kind of disappointed with how kylo go so badly dominated by Rey. She literally picks up a lightsaber for the first time and whoops the hell out of, presumably, the most powerful dark jedi active at the moment. Kylo got pretty wrecked at the end of the movie too so we should see some heavy scaring. I know that shot to the gut from Chewie really hurt Kylo but I hope a freshly healed and trained Ren is really OP. I really want to see Luke completed shred the Knights of Ren or similar foes but none of the knights use lightsabers except for Kylo, or do they?? Guess we'll see. Luke's only real moments as a powerful Jedi were from ROTJ and I think we are way over due for Master Jedi level Luke Skywalker.

She didn't just up and whoop Kylo. He had some things working against him such as having fought Finn which exerted some energy... oh yeah... and that FRIGGIN' HUGE BLAST WOUND inflicted to his side by Chewie's bowcaster and bleeding out.. I'd say he held up way better than most would under the circumstances.

Personally I think Kylo's going to be really crazy in the next one. He was merely transitional in Ep7. I'm sure with his training complete he will be more collected and much more dangerous.

Well we need to remember Kylo is basically half-baked and was also gut shot with a weapon thats power is emphasized multiple times throughout the film. Toward the end of the film, Snoke references continuing with the next part of his training. I do agree it's a little odd how capable Rey is with the Force and a lightsaber (as has been endlessly discussed) but I'm holding out hope there is a good reason for it. If it's never explained, I will have a big issue with that but we still have two more movies to go before we're at that point. TFA seems to hint there is more going on though so I'm hoping it all pans out.

As I make my way through Life Debt all I have to say is if Gallius Rax is NOT Snoke I may never read another Star Wars book again. Book is great, by the way.

Last edited:

Well we need to remember Kylo is basically half-baked and was also gut shot with a weapon thats power is emphasized multiple times throughout the film. Toward the end of the film, Snoke references continuing with the next part of his training. I do agree it's a little odd how capable Rey is with the Force and a lightsaber (as has been endlessly discussed) but I'm holding out hope there is a good reason for it. If it's never explained, I will have a big issue with that but we still have two more movies to go before we're at that point. TFA seems to hint there is more going on though so I'm hoping it all pans out.

Don't forget that he just killed his father, which could either fuel his dark side energies or make him more conflicted. And I thought that Rey's ability to defeat Kylo was explained in the title.

Well that's true. I do think the novelization describes that rather than feeling stronger after killing Han, he felt just the opposite.

As I make my way through Life Debt all I have to say is if Gallius Rax is NOT Snoke I may never read another Star Wars book again. Book is great, by the way.

I have a niggling in the back of my head. It may end up being right, or I might have missed something and be utterly wrong. But wouldn't it be interesting if Rax/Snoke and Palpatine were competing to be Plagueis' Apprentice? And Palpatine found use for him after besting him. I can see Snoke pulling a Jacen and looking for other Force-using traditions that aren't Jedi/Sith. I've only just started Life Debt. Does Rax have the same disfigurement as Snoke? If it predates the Emperor's death, I can see that being a souvenir of Palpatine defeating him decades before. If it doesn't, than I can let that theory go. ;)

--Jonah

The Gallius Rax thing is interesting although it seems like such a reveal would be rather anticlimactic to your average movie goer that hasn't read these books unless the movies delve into Snoke's backstory too. Otherwise, the reaction might be more like, "Ohhhh, Snoke isn't his real name at all! He's actually.........another guy I've never heard of before".

The Gallius Rax thing is interesting although it seems like such a reveal would be rather anticlimactic to your average movie goer that hasn't read these books unless the movies delve into Snoke's backstory too. Otherwise, the reaction might be more like, "Ohhhh, Snoke isn't his real name at all! He's actually.........another guy I've never heard of before".

Well, I have said before Snoke's backstory only needs to satisfy the story they are telling. So from the film the general audience knows he leads the First Order, may or may not be Force sensitive but seems to be in a position to "train" Kylo Ren (which may or may not mean what we think it means), has clearly been in a terrible accident, and is very concerned about Luke creating new Jedi. If it were revealed in the film he was a former apprentice to Palpatine, trusted with a great secret on Jakku from which he may have learned something Palpatine never discovers for himself but greatly valued, is Force sensitive, commanded an Imperial remnant, and may have been injured greviosuly in the Battle of Jakku, that would be very easy to convey over the next two films.

It's gotta be him otherwise this is a tremendous waste of intrigue for Chuck Wendig and the story group.

If he's not force sensitive he must have a kill switch implanted in Kylo's head otherwise he wouldn't stand a chance against him.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back