Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Pre-release)

Re: Star Wars: Episode VIII (Pre-release)

And I was just watching a scene last night... I loved when he flipped out and trashed the computer bay, then the other guy mentions "a girl" and kylo turns, force grabs him and pulls him forward into his grip like a boss. "WHAT girl?!"

Off topic, but I've been watching 'Poldark' on BBC1, and was struggling through most of the other night's episode to place a very familiar face. As it happens it was Sebastian Armesto, the actor who played that First Order officer!

Not only that, but actor Pip Torrens who appeared in Ep7 also stars in Poldark. As does a certain Caroline Blakiston!

.. anywho, fun fact for the day :)

Stopping a laser in mid air isn't lame.

Hey around here we had to listen for 17 years about how the Jedi in the Prequels were like superheroes (which they weren't). Then in this movie a guy stops a blaster bolt in midair (not too good with your lightsaber eh?) and that's fine. That's the most superhero-esque thing in SW yet. Not to mention it's a completely unneeded power. Every other Jedi can deflect blaster bolts. It's something very young Padawans can do. So you're going to use a power that takes your concentration away from the battle to stop that one bolt? I have no problem showing new powers, within reason, but this one was just a "Really?" when I saw it.

Hey around here we had to listen for 17 years about how the Jedi in the Prequels were like superheroes (which they weren't). Then in this movie a guy stops a blaster bolt in midair (not too good with your lightsaber eh?) and that's fine. That's the most superhero-esque thing in SW yet. Not to mention it's a completely unneeded power. Every other Jedi can deflect blaster bolts. It's something very young Padawans can do. So you're going to use a power that takes your concentration away from the battle to stop that one bolt? I have no problem showing new powers, within reason, but this one was just a "Really?" when I saw it.
And like Ive said before, even Yoda has to grunt and concentrate when he's going stuff like that.

They're not neo from the matrix

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

To be fair, Kylo wasn't in a battle. The only threat was that bolt. Vader stopped bolts in ESB. Seemed to snuff them out of existence

I was always under the impression that Vader stopped those bolts with his gloved, armored, robotic hand.

I was always under the impression that Vader stopped those bolts with his gloved, armored, robotic hand.

I would assume they'd have blown his hand clean off then. And the way he casually uses the same lifted hand to pull the gun from Han, I just assumed he was using the force through the entire thing.

Pretty sure he used his other hand to snag the blaster...

I would assume they'd have blown his hand clean off then. And the way he casually uses the same lifted hand to pull the gun from Han, I just assumed he was using the force through the entire thing.

Pretty sure he used his other hand to snag the blaster...

He used both hands...

2 in the right, one in the left, then grabbed the gun with left.

*all time fave scene*

Killed me to sell my replica of the blaster in that scene.

He used both hands...

2 in the right, one in the left, then grabbed the gun with left.

*all time fave scene*

Killed me to sell my replica of the blaster in that scene.
You know what was so awesome about that?

It took almost 2 movies for our heroes to come face to face with vader.

None of them ever really confronted him in ANH.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

and MORE awesome, is Han, only knowing from reputation, turns and fires with no hesitation.

So Kylo stopped a blaster bolt in midair. Maybe it's a dark side thing. Maybe it's a light combined with dark side thing. I don't really care; I thought it was cool. That was my litmus test, it was cool.

It didn't bother me. I mean, hasn't EVERY Star Wars movie done something new with The Force that hasn't been done before?

Leia did. She stood right up to him and got all snarky.

To be fair, Kylo wasn't in a battle. The only threat was that bolt. Vader stopped bolts in ESB. Seemed to snuff them out of existence

I assume Vader's arms were absorbing the blasts. Since Lucas said that without arms he can't use Force lightning I would guess that other related powers involving projecting/absorbing energy is also out of the question. Absorbing energy from blaster bolts is a Force power that has been in books though.

I think that's what's awesome about the force is it is mysterious and in the right or wrong hands it can be advantageous or extremely dangerous. In my mind I see no rules. If the user is powerful in the ways of summoning it to their will, then there is almost nothing it couldn't do.

I personally thought the bolt stop was awesome as heck.

Leia did. She stood right up to him and got all snarky.
Good point. It's funny. A friend of mine was complaining about the prequels lately and he said, "how come Vader never recognized threepio?"

But when I thought about it, the only time they were ever in the same room was in the carbon freeze chamber. And threepio was in pieces!

It goes to show you how great these characters are. That moment when Han shot Vader on weapon was likely the first time he had every come close to him. Did Vader EVER meet artoo in the series?

Good point. It's funny. A friend of mine was complaining about the prequels lately and he said, "how come Vader never recognized threepio?"

Because it's totally stupid that Little Orphan Annie built Threepio.
Think about it - would it cost less or be easier to build a blender, or to buy a blender?
Because in the Star Wars universe, droids are appliances.
I know you're a prequel fan, so I'll say this as gently as I can...
George Lucas went full retard. Never go full retard...

Because it's totally stupid that Little Orphan Annie built Threepio.
Think about it - would it cost less or be easier to build a blender, or to buy a blender?
Because in the Star Wars universe, droids are appliances.
I know you're a prequel fan, so I'll say this as gently as I can...
George Lucas went full retard. Never go full retard...
Don't get me wrong, there are a tone of things in the prequels that they didn't have to do. And those things made them worse.

Particularly by tying individual characters to the OT.

but I've softened on them over the years. Particularly because I fell in love with the clone wars cartoon. And also because somewhere around the first avengers, I started to hate the film making of all these new modern ones. I can't believe I get excited when I see a movie that DOESNT have a major city get partially destroyed. Hell, I consider civil war to be a brave art film just because a city isnt destroyed at the end.

And because of that, I look back and a! Thankful that the prequels are as authentic and original as they are.

Hell, when someone says "prequel", those films are what you think of.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back