Could Disney finally give us the remastered, unedited Star Wars we want?

Or you can do what I did and rip the movie to your computer, crop the image in a video editor program, and render it as a file on your computer. Then all you have to do is connect your computer to your tv via hdmi and watch it that way. The render will lessen the screen quality (which imo actually doesn't look half bad on the DVD), but it's legal (since, presumably, you won't be distributing it outside your household) and it gets you the full screen appearance without losing any of the picture.

Just a thought, but if you don't have the software to do it, that will cost you something (cuz Windows movie maker just won't cut it)

What's fun is the elements made to create the ESB Super 8 reduction were struck before the final 35mm edit was locked. There are a few editing and sound differences as a result. (Nothing earth shattering, but it's SW, so any variation is of immense interest. ;) ) The folks at originaltrilogy.com discovered this.

Interesting, I'll have to dust off the films soon then and have a look.

Hmmm, we may not have the TV set up before viewing time anyway. Maybe it's best to stick with the little TV for now, then DL Harmy's for later.
Then again, even with the rectangle effect, it's probably bigger than what we'd see on the 32".

Thanks for the info, guys!

image.jpg

I have a 65" and after 15 minutes of watching the image just like this, I forget about it. The image being displayed is bigger than what I had when I was a kid watching these movies.

Still really hope Disney comes through.

Or you can do what I did and rip the movie to your computer, crop the image in a video editor program, and render it as a file on your computer. Then all you have to do is connect your computer to your tv via hdmi and watch it that way. The render will lessen the screen quality (which imo actually doesn't look half bad on the DVD), but it's legal (since, presumably, you won't be distributing it outside your household) and it gets you the full screen appearance without losing any of the picture.

Just a thought, but if you don't have the software to do it, that will cost you something (cuz Windows movie maker just won't cut it)

I ripped my discs and ran them through Handbrake, it cropped them just fine. It won't scale larger than the original file so they were rendered at 720 wide. I haven't played them on a big screen, just my 22in monitor. Not great but it's my preference over everything else available.

Here are some caps, notice the is no episode prefix on this release.
Star Wars.mkv_snapshot_00.00.38_[2014.08.27_20.14.18].jpgStar Wars.mkv_snapshot_00.07.50_[2014.08.27_20.13.47].jpgStar Wars.mkv_snapshot_00.07.55_[2014.08.27_20.12.53].jpg

Last edited:
I didn't even think about handbreak for that...I used the videopad editor. Your way would have been much simpler. I think I'll be use that for ESB and RotJ

View attachment 368996

I have a 65" and after 15 minutes of watching the image just like this, I forget about it. The image being displayed is bigger than what I had when I was a kid watching these movies.

Still really hope Disney comes through.

Yeah, I picked up a 60" last night. It will be an improvement. I'll probably download Harmy later, but the old one will be fine for now. I might have to video her expression during the opening crawl / SD scene...

I just tried to rip ESB, but for some reason handbrake will not scan the source. Any advice? (sorry for the detour, guys, but I'd really like to get this done)

Handbrake won't rip a copy protected disc. I run AnyDVD and copy the files to my hard drive, then run Handbrake.

Honestly, even if you could view the whole picture in a way that would fill the screen without cutting off the sides or top/bottom of the image, the image quality is pretty godawful on the "bonus discs." The resolution is lower than a DVD, the transfer suffers from a lot of bad noise reduction, etc. On a smaller TV, it's perfectly fine (I watched it on my 32" computer monitor a few years back and didn't really mind it), but on a larger TV, the warts really show. It's particularly glaring when compared to the 2004 DVDs which, while certainly flawed, were also a lot cleaner image-wise than the bonus discs.

Still, they're the only legal game in town.

Indeed, while I might really want to get my hand on a higher resolution, high quality OT - I doubt my kid (who's used to watching Octonauts streaming on YouTube) will hardly notice any resolution issues with a movie she's never seen before.

I'm watching the 2006 bonus disc 'original' version right now and while the black bars on top and bottom are pretty big the image does go from the tv frame to tv frame on the sides. My tv is set to the 16:9 ratio.

25430952065418-vi.jpg

The chopped & shopped original negatives of the OTs are not the only original film prints of those movies still in existence. Why not source the 2006 DVDs from a decent second-generation print? It would probably have been cheaper than a full-boogie redo of the original negative and still much better quality than the DVD release we got. Just the fullscreen difference alone would have sold me, never mind some dust & scratches.

Last edited:
The chopped & shopped original negatives of the OTs are not the only original film prints of those movies still in existence. Why not source the 2006 DVDs from a decent second-generation print? It would probably have been cheaper than a full-boogie redo of the original negative and still much better quality than the DVD release we got. Just the fullscreen difference alone would have sold me, never mind some dust & scratches.
If the negative of Star Wars was indeed butchered from making the 97' special edition, a print would be the best option.
I know of at least one IB technicolor print that is in great shape, and had been offered to Lucas at one point.

Your picture appears to be stretched horizontally.
View attachment 369295

Exactly. You can "fit" the screen to your screen width, but you'll end up with black bars on top and bottom and the image will end up stretched. Plus, if memory serves, you'll also have a dead zone on top and bottom because the "image" includes the black letterbox bars.

Basically, with the '06 DVDs, your options are different versions of fun-house mirror, black boxes/bars all around, or zoomed and cropped. The image can't display normally.

Yeah, but they didn't care to. Why bother scanning anything when you can basically just transfer an existing image onto different media?

If the negative of Star Wars was indeed butchered from making the 97' special edition, a print would be the best option.
I know of at least one IB technicolor print that is in great shape, and had been offered to Lucas at one point.

I've heard the negative was NOT in fact "butchered" to the point where it no longer exists. That was a "certain point of view" kind of statement from Lucas. My understanding is that it's entirely possible to do a true, archival version of the OOT, at least in a technical sense. Like, the technology and the film exists to do it. But it'd cost money, and there are rights issues at stake. And, more importantly, the current generation of blu-rays is "fine" by the public's standards.

I mean, bear in mind that the general public isn't exactly made up of videophiles. Most people that I know can't really tell the difference between when motion interpolation is turned on or off on their TVs, or if they can, many of them think that having it turned on makes things "look more real." No joke. The public doesn't notice stuff like color palette shifts, crushed blacks, too much DNR, etc., at least not on a conscious level. They might sorta recognize that something seems "off," but they'll generally ignore it unless it's pointed out to them.

Actually, not to derail this, but it makes me wonder if Peter Jackson's HFR version of the Hobbit films might've been better received if he'd simply never mentioned that he was doing it at all, and just...put it out there. Like, I'd bet most people would say "It seems more real" or "I didn't really notice."

This thread made me watch Star Wars again last night (no episode 4 in the crawl :) ) For my money ($0 ;) ) I don't think there is a better option out there at the moment than Harmy's despecialized. I can't get enough of Han and Greedo in the cantina, such a cold hearted SOB. :cool The film holds up to the test of time, warts (not that there are many) and all. I'd still like to see it scanned again and preserved though. It amazes me how engrossed I get watching it, even in my 40s. Tonight is...(cue the Imperial theme ;) ) The Empire Strikes Back!

Just as a reminder, the RPF does not allow the discussion of how to download bootleg/pirated content. Thanks.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back