Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
Subscribe
    6 Days Ago  May 18, 2017, 5:19 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #176

Treadwell said: View Post
    Agreed. Fontaine was an interesting character for a one-shot, but recurring? And the focus of episodes? No.
    you people have no sense of fun ;o)

I liked the fontaine character for more than one short guest shot. the takeover episode was just a fun diversion.

as was the baseball episode. i hate sports and i liked that episode just to see them out of their element
    From
    Annapolis MD
    6 Days Ago  May 18, 2017, 6:44 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #177

What?! Haters of the baseball episode?! Baseball was a love of Sisko's. For me it just made sense to have at least one episode about it. Besides, you had some great things happen in that episode. Obrian infusing gum with scotch, Worf's classic "Death to the opposition", and "Find him and kill him" lines.

You want to talk about grinding gears...all the holo deck malfunction episodes across multiple shows. That got old for me.
    From
    Somewhere on the Salish Sea
    4 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 1:35 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #178

I didn't like the really bland Federation anthem in "Take Me Out to the Holosuite", and generally I don't like the TNG+ Vulcan haircuts (same as I hate the TNG-era Romulan foreheads). Why could they not find the same hairdressers that did such a good job on the Vulcans and Romulans in TOS and the films?

I like Vic, but agree he got a little overused at points. Agree about the malfunctioning holosuite stories. But I like Exri. I like her arc, I like how she didn't want to be joined and was learning to deal with it. I like how the joining changed her and she found a new track that neither Ezri on her own nor Jadzia Dax had been following. I like how she found closure with those elements of her prior life -- some differences, some things the same... I also like where her story goes in the Relaunch novels following the series finale.

The whole O'Brien thing is probably one of my biggest gear-grinders. *sigh* He was an officer up until Ron Moore couldn't tell the difference between rank and position. We definitely needed enlisted insignia in TNG and DS9, so getting that was a good thing -- but it shouldn't have been O'Brien. *grump*

--Jonah
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 8:34 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #179

I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.

I can't help but wonder if Bashir and Dax got canned, because nana visitor and him started dating/got married ?

it made much more sense for the doctor and dax to get together. they fit together better.
    From
    Woodbridge, VA
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 9:47 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #180

It was already established that Dax had a fondness for Klingons so I thought it made perfect sense, and it was a great way to shake things up and be different which was why I loved this show so much.
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 11:53 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #181

Angelus Lupus said: View Post
    Not to mention it was kinda racist towards Vulcans "LOL, they all look the same!"
    But yeah, a whole episode about baseball? Not the best. I didn't like the one that was entirely about Vic's holographic bar being taken over. And really, what was the point of a sentient 60's lounge-singer holo-program anyway?
    Holo-novels. It was a novel, or environment, with a heaping helping of nostalgia and entertainment. I think the concept grows out of gaming that is mor than just FPS and war games ... the ability to explore a time, place, cultural zeitgeist that you can interact with.
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 11:57 AM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #182

KrangPrime said: View Post
    I also hate the dax worf relationship.

I 'm rewatching a little out of order, but it seemed to get NO buildup, and just kind of happened.
    Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 12:20 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #183

KojiroVance said: View Post
    Watch in sequence, it was set up. I think in prior joining Dax was an ambassador to the Klingon Empire, and so was well versed in their culture. IIRC even liked and respected it.
    yep. That I saw. I got through seasons 1 -4 and am watching season 5 a tad out of order ;o).

From what I can tell so far, she isn't fond of worf at all. 10 episodes later, they are suddenly linked to the hip ;o).

Meanwhile, for four seasons, she started to and continued to flirt with bashire until that stopped when kira got pregnant lol.
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 12:50 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #184

And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).
    From
    Annapolis MD
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 2:00 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #185

KrangPrime said: View Post
    And why was morn not given his own series?

I always wonder how he got to be such a great running gag.

there is one shot where worf throws him off his chair, and the actor inside did a great reaction shot with just his eyes and hands ;o).
    For me, Morn was proof that at least one of the writers on the show liked/watched Cheers. He was the Norm, of the bar.
    3 Days Ago  May 21, 2017, 2:18 PM - Re: Star Trek: stuff that grinds my gears... #186

Morn was a great example of writing and acting. The actor did well, they had running gags about his "conversational" ability. This is where ST usually was way better than other TV SF ... though others have caught on and is no longer an "exclusive brand" known for that. It's recognized for "phasers," "beam me up," "transporter," etc. :P

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk