Commercial Towing Vessel Nostromo - A L I E N

Great looking model. The only thing that would disappoint me if I were in your position, is that for that kinda money, I would expect the dishes to not just be obviously nabbed from a couple of Millennium Falcon kits.

Elsewise, that's a thing of beauty, for sure!

--Alex

Last edited:
Hi Albertese,

This and other models like this are made up of hundreds of parts from many different kits, including the Millennium Falcon.

I think Andyrowlands62 put it best - "Very nice rendering of the refinery" meaning the builders interpretation of the refinery.

Here is a link to what I believe is from the actual studio prop:

http://i320.photobucket.com/albums/nn348/deraenged/bits5sm.jpg

Albertese, when standing in front of this model, I understand the price tag. I don't think photo's can convey the experience.

People just take it for granted that Nostromo was towing this thing, but it's MASSIVE, I would assume there are corridors and control rooms and all sorts of stuff in there, I know it's refining millions of tons of ore, but how did the ore even get on board, even if it's doing it automatically, you'd assume someone would have to over see what was going on in case it screwed up !!??!!

Fun trivia: the Alien novel says it's an oil refinery. One might presume it's carrying fuel for the Nostromo to do it's towing as well.

There's something a little too regular about the detail for me...seems like a lot of little domes all exactly the same size while my mind's eye seems to want more variation there. I did a kit bash of this years ago that was about 14-15 inches across. I'd love to do it again some day, maybe just a little bigger.

Off topic, but if Nostromo is a towing vehicle, how does it generate thrust with the refinery behind it like that?

I always thought the thrust from Nostoromo was vectored through the refinery. In the undocking sequence, you can see that the Nostromo main engines line up with ducts on the refinery. These images are from the grail of behind the scenes history of Alien "Alien Makers"

Nostromo Docker detail.jpgNostromo Docker.jpg

Great looking model. The only thing that would disappoint me if I were in your position, is that for that kinda money, I would expect the dishes to not just be obviously nabbed from a couple of Millennium Falcon kits.

Elsewise, that's a thing of beauty, for sure!

--Alex

I thought that the original model miniature that was used for filming included parts from SW kits because they were all too common in parts bins in hobby shops at the time. If that's the case, wouldn't some of the parts be obvious while others not so much?

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back