Help making small TARDIS signs

Data

I am building a small model TARDIS (approx 20 inches tall), using a laser cutter at school. I don't know what scale the model should be, as I am using it to house my computer and based measurements off of plans drawn by another member (it should be pretty close to 1:5). I am to the point where I am looking to get some signs in- I would like these to light up as per the original TARDIS (I am basing it off of David Tennants tardis). Not sure what my options are for getting them to light up, the signs need to be approx 8" by 1", I'm not a sign maker so I really have no idea what I am doing. My only thoughts so far are really thin acrylic (1/16") with black vinyl stuck on the back of it- problem is, I don't know how small a vinyl cutter can go. If anyone has any thoughts about this it would be much appreciated. This is my first foray into modeling and I'm having a blast!

A few pics.

photo-3 by photogeek121, on Flickr

photo 2-2 by photogeek121, on Flickr

photo 1-4 by photogeek121, on Flickr

Now... onto get a sample to fix that pesky paint color....

Last edited:
Ok, I think I might have a solution worked out. Laser cut a piece of 1/16 plexi out, with a vinyl cut set of letters on the back should do it. Just need something white, thin, and cheap to diffuse the internal LEDs.

Simpler and cheaper would be a sign with transparent letters printed on the back of clear film, backed with a piece of white translucent plastic.

Simpler and cheaper would be a sign with transparent letters printed on the back of clear film, backed with a piece of white translucent plastic.

Thanks for the response, but knowing my printer and what has happened in the past is that any printed on letters would not be dark enough to block the light, and would light up with the sign rather than be backlit. I've got a friend with a vinyl cutter so it shouldn't be too pricey (plus it's only 4x8 inches total).

As for build progress I am on spring break so I finally have a lot of time to put into this. I've redone the paint any weathered most of it, I'm to gluing in the windows and some detail pieces (sign boxes, ugh). Will get pics tomorrow (and change to a build thread), but it looks really nice.

Of course, whatever works. I used the printing method on my full-sized Tardis; I did have to use three stacked layers of printed transparency to get full light blockage.

lamp1.jpg

Would you ever consider selling kits?
Hey! Well, big delay. Classes ended and I just kind of avoided this project. It's close to being finished though!

Unfortunately, there are no near future plans to make kits from this. I would love to do it in the future, whenever that will be, but at this point I am using the laser cutter at my school for everything, and I am not sure they would let me use it for kits (it's definitely worth asking though).
Would anyone be interested in a kit? It's a lot of sanding and glueing, simply because not all of it snaps together very well. The plywood warp contributes to this however.

If anyone is planning on laser-cutting their own TARDIS, I do have one thing to recommend. DON'T use plywood, regardless that it is cheap and easy to cut. It warps like heck... I'd definitely look for something like MDF on a Rev2.

I'll try the transparency layering. I think I have a few sheets around here...

Ok, I've tried transparencies and I don't think its going to work well for this model. My printer just can't get dark enough ink to block out the light, even with 3 layers, and I'm not sure I want to go more than that.

I had luck with making a laser-cut sign with some thick cardstock painted black, however I would need to glue all the insides of the letters on. So far this is looking like my best option, but I no longer have access to the laser cutter at school due to summer break.

I've read around about vinyl cutters and it looks like most people can't do anything smaller than 1/4 lettering. Lucky me because my "Public Call" lettering is 0.21 inches.

Anything else I can try or modify? Maybe some other technique with the transparencies will work.

You could have the transparencies printed at a print shop on a good printer.

Did a bit of reading online, and I'm going to give transparencies one more chance. I think my problem was using 10 year old transparency paper in a laser printer. I'll pick up some more paper and try in our inkjet and see how it goes.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back