MPC X-wing Build in Progress

Small update. I found a couple new reference photos that show what I'm going to call panel warts. I knew that they were there because you can kind of see them in some photos but I found some good photos with the fuselage painted black which gives away the shape and placement. I'm not sure that I'm going to add all of the warts because panel lines on the MPC don't match up to the larger studio scale models. I've already added a couple and will add a couple more.

photo 5.JPG

Also a shipment with some future projects have arrived.

photo 6.JPG

Small update. I found a couple new reference photos that show what I'm going to call panel warts. I knew that they were there because you can kind of see them in some photos but I found some good photos with the fuselage painted black which gives away the shape and placement. I'm not sure that I'm going to add all of the warts because panel lines on the MPC don't match up to the larger studio scale models. I've already added a couple and will add a couple more.

View attachment 369372

Also a shipment with some future projects have arrived.

View attachment 369374

Very nice pickup,

I recently purchase a Fine Molds of the Falcon,It is one of the most expensive models I have purchase except for some of my Resin Models I have picked up..

Clarence

Very nice pickup,

I recently purchase a Fine Molds of the Falcon,It is one of the most expensive models I have purchase except for some of my Resin Models I have picked up..

Clarence

Thanks, I have a Finemolds 72nd scale Y-wing coming too. Did you get the 144th scale or the 72nd scale? Both the Falcon and Slave 1 models I bought were the 144th. I'm thinking about buying the photo-etched exhaust grills for the Falcon and maybe the landing gear baffles, but I haven't decided on if I'm going to build it with landing gear exposed or retracted. It's hard to stay focus on the X-wing with new kits sitting there.

Thanks, I have a Finemolds 72nd scale Y-wing coming too. Did you get the 144th scale or the 72nd scale? Both the Falcon and Slave 1 models I bought were the 144th. I'm thinking about buying the photo-etched exhaust grills for the Falcon and maybe the landing gear baffles, but I haven't decided on if I'm going to build it with landing gear exposed or retracted. It's hard to stay focus on the X-wing with new kits sitting there.

I bought the 72nd scale,I am not sure when I be building it though,I have so many kits now to build it will be a while before I do,my first build will be my Mike Salzo 37.5 TOS Battlestar Galactica as soon as I get the rest of the supplies for it...

...I found a couple new reference photos that show what I'm going to call panel warts. I knew that they were there because you can kind of see them in some photos but I found some good photos with the fuselage painted black which gives away the shape and placement. I'm not sure that I'm going to add all of the warts because panel lines on the MPC don't match up to the larger studio scale models. I've already added a couple and will add a couple more.

View attachment 369372

Those add a lot to the overall presentation of the model. Can't wait to see it colored!

SB

I bought the 72nd scale,I am not sure when I be building it though,I have so many kits now to build it will be a while before I do,my first build will be my Mike Salzo 37.5 TOS Battlestar Galactica as soon as I get the rest of the supplies for it...

I'm jealous, I'd really love to get my hands on a 72nd scale Falcon, but I'm too new and don't want to spend that kind of money on a kit just yet. I'll probably pick up a MPC and mod it. I've seen those Salzo kits, they're amazing.

Those add a lot to the overall presentation of the model. Can't wait to see it colored!

SB

Thanks, I've decided to stop jacking with it and get to painting. None of the panel lines match up which messes with the placement of the warts. I've already primed the new stuff and I'll get a new base coat of paint on this weekend, I'm also planning to start masking off the markings on the wings this weekend. About time right.

You mentioned before that you're doing Red 5, right?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

StevenBills, that is the plan.

I did put a coat of the base color paint on the parts that were still showing primer (no pics though), it'll need another coat though. I need to get my hands on a small metal straight edge, the only one I have is huge. I'm going to paint on my markings and not use the decals, but the masking tape I have is twice as wide as I need it, hence my need for a small metal straight edge.

I finally got around to painting the red today. I masked off parts, used a paintable mask for some large chipped areas, and I used the salt method for small chips. I'm not crazy about the salt method, I think I used to much water and it cause some discoloration in the paint. So I scratched those spots up with my sand paper and now it looks super scratched and chipped, a bit more than I would like but I'm going to go with it. I think I'll do yellow next.

IMG_2053.JPGIMG_2052.JPGIMG_2051.JPG

Nice build up, I will have to keep your improvements in mind when I build mine. Good luck with the rest.

Thanks Constantine.

I did some more painting yesterday. I've skipped the salt and just used tape and liquid mask, it turned out better. I scuffed it up some to give it a bit of physical weathering. I think I'm going to go back and touch up some of the red parts, it's really bugging me now, it just looks to damaged to me. Pics!

IMG_2065.JPGIMG_2063.JPGIMG_2064.JPG

Do you remember the diameter of brass tubing you used for the guns?

Ok I've got 3 of the 6 sizes of tube for you.

The inner core - ?
Sleeve around inner core (not actually seen, just fills space) - 3/32x.006
The long piece - ?
The 2nd largest outer layer - ?
The largest outer layer - 3/16 x .14 or 4.76mm
Half circle (styrene) - 3/8 or 9.5mm

They should all slide together without any space or wiggle room. I used CA to glue it all together. When you put the CA on quickly slide the pieces together, if you do it slowly the CA might set before you get it in position, I ruined a couple pieces that way.

Sweet. I'll be stopping by the local hobby shop to see if they have the right stuff. I was looking at the MPC X-Wing I'm currently working on, and thought, "I'm putting all this work into making it look cool, and these guns look like crap."

So I decided I needed to rebuild my guns as well! Thanks for the info.

SB

Ok, it's been a while since I've made an update, but that doesn't mean that I've been completely idol. I've finished painting the markings that required masking. I've even started on airbrushing on some of the burn marks. I've still got a little bit of airbrushing to do and some touch up from where paint was taken off from the painters tape on the guns. Then I'll be drawing on some blast marks with a fine pen and giving some more weathering with oils and pigments. PICS!!!

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2187.JPG

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back