MPC X-wing Build in Progress

Ok, last 2 guns are back on and the engine nozzles are setting up now. Just a touch of super glue on the guns and a bit of primer and I'm back to where I was. I think I'll work on a temp base for the stand so I don't have to mess with that vise again.

photo 9.JPG

It's really coming together now. It's amazing how different it looks when it's all the same color. I sprayed primer on the last of the parts that needed it and touched up the damaged parts. I did a dry fit of the parts on the temp stand. I'm thinking about gluing the wings in the open position, they really don't want to close all the way and don't quite want to stay all the way open either. I'm also debating cutting out the glass on the canopy, right now it's masked and primed.

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

I'm about to start painting the x-wing and I've seen a lot of people put down a black undercoat, what is the reason for this? I've done some searching trying to find an answer. The only possible clue was someone mentioned it was black underneath because that is how the guys at ILM did it. Something to do with the white spray paint being weathered and the black showing through. I'm planning to airbrush acrylic paint on to the model and use a combination of weather techniques, oils, pigments, liquid mask, but nothing abrasive. Do I need to bother with the black undercoat? Any info will help, thanks.

Oh, I think I remember reading something about spraying thinner through an airbrush on to the white spray paint to weather it. I remember there was supposed to be a video of the technique but it was a broken link.

just a related tidbit (i'll leave why they used black to others)...
the color of your primer subtly affects the depth and final color of the topcoat although this is more apparent on a larger object such as a car but the principle is the same (to my eyes anyhow. i've done alot of painting in my time).
experiment over the years and you will see....
no, you don't necessarily need to use black but some are able to achieve a certain scale "shading" effect.
by the way, a lot of bright red cars are painted yellow first to make the red "pop". want a darker deeper red? well then you know what primer to use....

looking for a toylike looking cheesy white? spray white topcoat over white primer.
going for a slightly cartoony look? paint dark shadows in before you topcoat.
experiment with paint viscosities.
and it's no more bother to paint on black primer than grey primer.

Last edited:
just a related tidbit (i'll leave why they used black to others)...
the color of your primer subtly affects the depth and final color of the topcoat although this is more apparent on a larger object such as a car but the principle is the same (to my eyes anyhow. i've done alot of painting in my time).
experiment over the years and you will see....
no, you don't necessarily need to use black but some are able to achieve a certain scale "shading" effect.
by the way, a lot of bright red cars are painted yellow first to make the red "pop". want a darker deeper red? well then you know what primer to use....

looking for a toylike looking cheesy white? spray white topcoat over white primer.
going for a slightly cartoony look? paint dark shadows in before you topcoat.
experiment with paint viscosities.
and it's no more bother to paint on black primer than grey primer.

Thanks for the info. I've heard about the primer coat effecting the color of the paint but I wasn't sure if that was true for all kinds of painting (I heard that about painting interior walls). That's a trip about the red having a yellow undercoat, it makes sense though. I will ponder this information.

So I put a couple coats of camouflage gray on the various parts the other day, now I'm finally gluing the model together. Just have to wait for the glue to set up. Looking forward to painting.

1408303175.794329.IMG_2005.JPG

So I put a couple coats of camouflage gray on the various parts the other day, now I'm finally gluing the model together. Just have to wait for the glue to set up. Looking forward to painting.

View attachment 364468

That looks awesome! I love it when the model starts coming together and it resembles a beautiful ship. Can't wait to see how this turns out!

SB

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Small update. I've been filling seams on the X-wing now that it's glued together. 3 of the 4 seams worked out the 4th was not so great. I attribute this to these old kits, ill fitting and not lining up. The 4th panel had a lip and the top and bottom did not line up, both were slight. At first I tried breaking the glue in the panel and re-gluing it, the fuselage just has too much bend in it, it wasn't going to sit right no matter what, and that would not fix the panels not lining up either. so Instead I decided that since there is a lip I could cut some very thin plasicard to lay over the top of the panel and glue on. It worked perfectly, I'll just have to putty the edges of the panel to make it look like it's supposed to be there.

The bad seam
photo 1.JPG

One of the back seams.
photo 2.JPG

This a view of the panels not lining up, you can't see the lip from this angle.
photo 3.JPG

The new plasticard panel to level the panel and line it up.
photo 4.JPG

Looking good! That panel on the side line up on mine, fortunately, but this is a great alternative! Well done!

SB

Thanks StevenBills. I've had to deal with a lot of warped parts. It's required a lot more work to straighten out than I've posted on here. Like the whole top half of the fuselage was bowed and one side was not straight. At least the build is almost done, only a little sanding left.

Update: I sprayed some primer on the seams I puttied, and only one needs more work because of the putty shrinkage. I should have that knocked out tonight.

I'm still trying to dig up reference photos for the weathering. Most of the pics I find are pretty old and not very high resolution, so if anyone has a resource for good clear x-wing pics.

...I'm still trying to dig up reference photos for the weathering. Most of the pics I find are pretty old and not very high resolution, so if anyone has a resource for good clear x-wing pics.

One thing I've noticed is that the weathering really depends on which bird you're doing.

...I'm still trying to dig up reference photos for the weathering. Most of the pics I find are pretty old and not very high resolution, so if anyone has a resource for good clear x-wing pics.

You can find lots of reference here http://www.modelermagic.com/?cat=18
These are mostly pics from museum displays, so there is some damage that wasn't present originally. Use older photos as well to get a better idea of how they looked originally.

So I'm going to do Red 5..... [insert groans about another red 5 here]. I have never made a x-wing before and it'll probably be a while before I get around to making another one. So I'm going with the most iconic one. Funny thing is I don't really see that many Red 5's on here, it's usually Red 3 that I see.

Any way I'm needing good clear photos of red 5, I've got several but I want some more, specifically focusing on each part, wings, between the wings, each side of the fuselage, engines. A paint map would be good if anyone has one, I know the general jist of the paint scheme but there are details that I don't want to miss. What would be even better it someone has really amazing pics of the MPC red 5, I have a couple.

I need stuff like this.
underwing3.jpg

And this.
pdf-rip.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back