Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Okay, but I know this is a stretch for a sci-fi forum, ;) but how many of you have actually seen a women do that right afterward?
I sure haven't, and I had my share of opportunities to witness that, even before I was married.

Got a good one that's been bugging me recently....

Self-destruct systems on spacecraft. Other than being a plot point, they're existence makes NO sense whatsoever. Let's look at Alien, for example. The Nostromo is a space freighter, hauling cargo. Yet, the ship has a very convenient self destruct system. Why does a space freighter has a self-destruct system? Even better, all ships of the Federation in the Star Trek universe has this as a feature. Why? The self destruct system on the Nostromo is like having a stick of C4 wired to a button on a semi-truck. For Federation ships, it's like having a giant sealed port in the bottom of a cruise ship to cause it to sink. Heck, even more so for Federation ships, there's no need for it. I had someone suggest that they have them in case of having enemies board their crafts. With pre-TOS vessels I get, but with TNG on forward, they have forcefields that can be erected at every section of the ship (unless the ship doesn't have any power, the forcefields may not work, but the self-destruct wouldn't work either. In fact, there's one episode of Voyager where it showed how easy it is to disable the self-destruct system by someone who knows the ship and have it targeted from the outside with phasers of enemy spacecraft).

The only way a self-destruct makes sense in a space-craft is a battleship (for example, a Battlestar like in Battlestar Galactica), as they wouldn't want the enemy to get their hands on weapons and ammo supplies, or to be used in a last ditch effort of ramming the enemy and taking out as many as they can. I can see a self-destruct wired into the Sulaco from Aliens. But for civilian or exploration ships, like the Nostromo or the Enterprise-D and other vessels circa TNG on forward, they make no sense except as a plot device.

The only example of this being averted is in Jason X, where a character from the late 20th century asks the characters of the future if the ship has a self-destruct, and one of the future people saying something like, "Self-destruct? What'd be the point of having a stupid think that?" (or something along those lines).

So, in short, I'm tired of seeing built-in self-destruct systems in space-craft that clearly don't need or even should have had them. The Nostromo shouldn't have had it, the Enterprise-D shouldn't have it, no civil or exploration vehicle should have them! Ships for battle having them makes more sense.

Its the alcohol she is used to, she can drink her local stuff all day, but she is not used to Belloq's wine, which he is.

All out of good fun, check out my attached pic.

EDIT

And here is the Tube of You video for this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUAueFkVYvA

Marion would be WASTED.jpg

Last edited:
Got a good one that's been bugging me recently....

Self-destruct systems on spacecraft. Other than being a plot point, they're existence makes NO sense whatsoever. Let's look at Alien, for example. The Nostromo is a space freighter, hauling cargo. Yet, the ship has a very convenient self destruct system. Why does a space freighter has a self-destruct system? Even better, all ships of the Federation in the Star Trek universe has this as a feature. Why? The self destruct system on the Nostromo is like having a stick of C4 wired to a button on a semi-truck. For Federation ships, it's like having a giant sealed port in the bottom of a cruise ship to cause it to sink. Heck, even more so for Federation ships, there's no need for it. I had someone suggest that they have them in case of having enemies board their crafts. With pre-TOS vessels I get, but with TNG on forward, they have forcefields that can be erected at every section of the ship (unless the ship doesn't have any power, the forcefields may not work, but the self-destruct wouldn't work either. In fact, there's one episode of Voyager where it showed how easy it is to disable the self-destruct system by someone who knows the ship and have it targeted from the outside with phasers of enemy spacecraft).

The only way a self-destruct makes sense in a space-craft is a battleship (for example, a Battlestar like in Battlestar Galactica), as they wouldn't want the enemy to get their hands on weapons and ammo supplies, or to be used in a last ditch effort of ramming the enemy and taking out as many as they can. I can see a self-destruct wired into the Sulaco from Aliens. But for civilian or exploration ships, like the Nostromo or the Enterprise-D and other vessels circa TNG on forward, they make no sense except as a plot device.

The only example of this being averted is in Jason X, where a character from the late 20th century asks the characters of the future if the ship has a self-destruct, and one of the future people saying something like, "Self-destruct? What'd be the point of having a stupid think that?" (or something along those lines).

So, in short, I'm tired of seeing built-in self-destruct systems in space-craft that clearly don't need or even should have had them. The Nostromo shouldn't have had it, the Enterprise-D shouldn't have it, no civil or exploration vehicle should have them! Ships for battle having them makes more sense.

LOLOLOL I totally agree with that. I was watching Spaceballs last week (love that movie, one of my favs) and at the end I love the fact that they make fun of self destruct when they flip down the panel for the "Cancel" button and it has a repair tag that says "out of order" Have a nice day. Thanks! KaBoom!

And speaking of Trek, I was talking to my Dad the other day and he is a HUGE Star Trek Voyager fan and he asked me "How come they have to loose weapons, shields, warp drive AFTER they are attacked, seems like a running plot hook ALL THE TIME" and he also asked me "How come Spock is twice as strong as any man, 50% of the time?" LMAO at a my Dad. And my Dad watched TOS when it was broadcast live in the sixties and he asked me what I thought. Cool!

I told my Dad "Well, if none of that stuff ever happened, it would be a really boring show pops" LOL

But he does have a point.

Well, the self destruct on a federation ship does make sense to me, just like US Navy ships have all kinds of ways to blow up or ruin stuff in case the ship is boarded and overrun. When I was in the army, we had kinds of way to destroy sensitive stuff if we'd ever been overrun as well. You wouldn't want someone to pull a Kahn on you, you'd want the chance to deny a highly value asset to your enemy.
So in a tactical sense, yes, the self destruct on a federation ship makes plenty of sense to me. Now, the Nostromo? Yeah, I agree with you there, that makes no sense to me at all.

Well I can imagine a scenario where the ship is heading towards a planet, and all the steering and breaking systems go dead.

With no way to fix it, you either have to detonate the ship, or just accept that millions of tons of steel is going to go slamming into the populated planet at a thousand times the speed of sound.

Well, the self destruct on a federation ship does make sense to me, just like US Navy ships have all kinds of ways to blow up or ruin stuff in case the ship is boarded and overrun. When I was in the army, we had kinds of way to destroy sensitive stuff if we'd ever been overrun as well. You wouldn't want someone to pull a Kahn on you, you'd want the chance to deny a highly value asset to your enemy.
So in a tactical sense, yes, the self destruct on a federation ship makes plenty of sense to me. Now, the Nostromo? Yeah, I agree with you there, that makes no sense to me at all.
The problem with Federation ships is some of the inconsistencies of TNG, at least on TV. One episode they would be sneaking into the neutral zone and shooting it out with someone and the next episode the 6th grade class from deck seven would ask for a tour of the bridge.

The problem with Federation ships is some of the inconsistencies of TNG, at least on TV. One episode they would be sneaking into the neutral zone and shooting it out with someone and the next episode the 6th grade class from deck seven would ask for a tour of the bridge.

The thing with Starfleet is that they're a para-military organization, they run on military protocol with ranks and uniforms, the crew have access to small arms, and they're ships are armed while at the same time they're officially not the Federation military but act as such in times of war. Starfleet is sort of like combining the US Navy with National Geographic & NASA and move them from out of the DoD to the State Department, in others words they're a very odd hybrid that's neither fish nor fowl but a combination of both. But it's because of this militaristic aspect of Starfleet that their ships have a self destruct.

Are you saying naval ships such as aircraft carriers and battleships actually do have self destruct systems? Wow, I did not know that.

Here's one that get me--the way average ordinary people get stuck on the tops of these super tall buildings and still can act like it's no big deal. Stuff like that last King Kong movie--at the end the girl and the dude are on top of the Empire State Building, they are on a platform no bigger than 10' X10', no rails no nothing, a thousand feet up, and yet they are running around and embracing, kissing etc, not worried the least about slipping, or a gust of wind knocking them off. It's as if they were no more than a few feet off the ground. I don't care how brave you are, in a situation like that you would be on your belly hugging that platform like there was no tomorrow.

How about people who fall/jump out of a plane but are close enough for a two-shot matching speed.
The real facepalm moment is when they're also able to hold a conversation in that setting.

Are you saying naval ships such as aircraft carriers and battleships actually do have self destruct systems? Wow, I did not know that.
Well, I know for sure that back in the day, ships carried thermite charges to destroy the main guns on a ship to render them inoperative in case they were boarded by the enemy. They didn't carry a charge to sink the ship that I'm aware of (most large ships have openings you could open up to scuttle a ship if you needed to do that), I'd like a Navy vet to share their knowledge on that point (I was in the Army).
The German sub U-505 was boarded by the US Navy in WW2 as the crew had already tried to scuttle it, the first takeover of an enemy vessel in wartime since 1812. The Germans didn't have a charge lit that I'm aware of, they'd just opened the valves to allow the sub to sink but the US sailors were too fast and managed to keep her from sinking. You can see the U505 today in Chicago.
Here's one that get me--the way average ordinary people get stuck on the tops of these super tall buildings and still can act like it's no big deal. Stuff like that last King Kong movie--at the end the girl and the dude are on top of the Empire State Building, they are on a platform no bigger than 10' X10', no rails no nothing, a thousand feet up, and yet they are running around and embracing, kissing etc, not worried the least about slipping, or a gust of wind knocking them off. It's as if they were no more than a few feet off the ground. I don't care how brave you are, in a situation like that you would be on your belly hugging that platform like there was no tomorrow.
Good one, I'd never thought of that before.

That and the Federation prides themselves more on being explorers and diplomats instead of being military/fighters (in fact, they are only fighters when there's a conflict that they're dragged into).

That and the Federation prides themselves more on being explorers and diplomats instead of being military/fighters (in fact, they are only fighters when there's a conflict that they're dragged into).

You mean Starfleet, right? Because the Federation is the government while Starfleet is the military/exploration arm of the Federation.

Here's one that's alway bugged me, hyper-intelligent animals. No one, in m opinion, has properly depicted a hyper-intelligent animal, my bug has always been that the writers always seem to equate intelligence with knowledge even though they are two completely different and separate things. I don't care how smart an animal is, it's going to know how to do anything outside of its experience whether through direct observation or through learning/experimentation.

The worst offender has to be Deep Blue Sea where the sharks take out the cameras like they knew what a video camera was. Considering that nowhere was it shown that they could see a camera and in turn see themselves on a monitor there's no frigging way that they'd recognize a camera for what it is, for that matter, neither would a human who's never encountered a camera of any kind before. Then there was that scene where one of the sharks grabbed one of the scientists that was strapped down into a gurney type thing, swam with it at the observation deck window at full speed and let go to have it/him smash into and crack the window like it actually understood the laws of physics. I'm sure that with its heightened intelligence that it could eventually figure it if it saw it happen elsewhere or did something similar once before but there's no way that it would just know that that would happen if it did it.

I got one.

Movies where some character, vehicle, army, etc. is described as being incredibly badass and powerful, and which then gets taken out like a punk without ever really being able to showcase said power, or gets taken out soon after it does so.

The most recent example of this that I can think of is Pacific Rim with the other jaegers, like the Russian and Chinese ones. They're supposed to be these badass machines, and yet, they end up taken out very quickly.

But it also happens in, for example, Desperado, when Antonio Banderas' buddies show up with their rocket launchers and machine-gun cases, and they get killed like, 2 minutes after arriving. Sure, they do a few cool things, but then they're dead and it's like "What was the point of that?"

You also get some of this in Godfather I and III with the supposedly invincible Corleone muscle guys. In Godfather I, you have Luca Brasi, who is physically imposing, but is dispatched VERY quickly. In Godfather III, you have the twins guarding Michael, who get taken out quickly, too.

One movie that actually handled this quite well was the original Predator, where you got to see the commando team be badasses in their assault on the guerilla base. To my way of thinking, that made the threat posed by the Predator all the more impressive, because you knew it was taking out guys who had already demonstrated how tough they were. Compare that to Pacific Rim, and the other jaegers just look like wusses.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back