Things you're tired of seeing in movies

To be fair, in Pacific Rim the other jaegers get wiped out so quickly easily as means of showing just how much stronger the two new kaiju were supposed to be. We get a glimpse of how good the Aussie jaeger is supposed to be and we're told about the others so it's supposed to really hammer home just how much tougher the new kaiju are when we see these badass jaegers get taken out.

One thing that really annoys me and something that Pacific Rim actually avoided doing was to kill people off one at a time throughout the course of the movie. It's typical of horror movies and any type of action/survival movie where you have a bunch of people against one or a group of baddies, you'll lose 1 person every 15 minutes or so throughout the movie until you're left with just the hero and maybe a side kick or two. I liked that Pacific Rim killed off all of those jaegers nice and quick instead of dragging it out one by one. Aliens also did well (unlike its predecessor) in killing off most of the Marines in just one long scene and once we get to the last stand we lose the rest of the extra cast in pretty short order.

Last edited:
I got one.

Movies where some character, vehicle, army, etc. is described as being incredibly badass and powerful, and which then gets taken out like a punk without ever really being able to showcase said power, or gets taken out soon after it does so.

Yeah like the marines in Aliens

'Game over man!, Game over!'

J

Marion wasn't drunk off his wine. She was pretending to be and fell due to being nervous. You might be too if you are a prisoner to the nazi's. You try to run away but the dude that isn't f'n around comes through the tent door. You know damn well he gonna take you out since he tried to burn / kill you and Indy.

Also that wasn't a dude in that drinking game. That was hot chick vs. She yeti match

All out of good fun, check out my attached pic.

View attachment 350112

In Kasdan's original script, Marion grabs a handful of snow in each hand and presses it to her temples. This is supposed to magically sober her up. Obviously the "picking up the snow" part of the scene didn't make the final cut, but when she sees Indy, she throws the snow down...and it shatters!

Which brings me to a gripe: Foley artists. Do they think we're idiots? If we don't hear the breaks squeak (MASH Jeep), will we not know the vehicle is stopping? If the door doesn't squeak, will we not know the door is opening? Why does every flashing light have to be accompanied by a beep? (I think it was in Last Days on Mars that there's a shot of a ship floating away in space and there's one red light blinking, and of course every blink is accompanied by that Apollo-era radio beep.) Why does every action on a computer screen require a sound? Film is supposed to be a visual medium, but they throw in so much unnecessary crap that it becomes redundant. Films for the sight-impaired? [Deep breath. End rant.]

Yeah the beep on the watch in commando was annoying too, strange how it wasn't doing that every time he sneaked up behind someone.

In Kasdan's original script, Marion grabs a handful of snow in each hand and presses it to her temples. This is supposed to magically sober her up. Obviously the "picking up the snow" part of the scene didn't make the final cut, but when she sees Indy, she throws the snow down...and it shatters!

Which brings me to a gripe: Foley artists. Do they think we're idiots? If we don't hear the breaks squeak (MASH Jeep), will we not know the vehicle is stopping? If the door doesn't squeak, will we not know the door is opening? Why does every flashing light have to be accompanied by a beep? (I think it was in Last Days on Mars that there's a shot of a ship floating away in space and there's one red light blinking, and of course every blink is accompanied by that Apollo-era radio beep.) Why does every action on a computer screen require a sound? Film is supposed to be a visual medium, but they throw in so much unnecessary crap that it becomes redundant. Films for the sight-impaired? [Deep breath. End rant.]

Cool fact about the Kasdan script. I had no idea that they cut out a magical "gotta get sober quick" trick from the movie.

Right there with you about all the extra sound effects. My first post on this thread was about my gripe with how movies portray "hacking" and computers in general. I hate it every time I see someone on a computer and there is a sound effect for a progress bar, a sound for when the progress bar reaches 100%, a sound effect for when a file is clicked, a window is opened / closed. It's endless and really bugs the heck out of me. Probably because I work with computers every day. But still...

Something else to mention is when there is a battle scene between two secret groups of super natural creatures, yet no one notices that stuff going on. As if because the battle happens at night no one will notice?

I recently tried to watch I Frankenstein. Which is a crap movie and I could only get half way through it before I turned it off. But there is a battle between the gargoyles and demons. And when a demon dies it bursts into flame and ash and descends to hell, when a gargoyle got killed it bursted into intense bright blue / white light and went back to heaven. This battle scene took place at night just after the gargoyles yelled at Arron Ekhart's character about keeping a low profile, only to get into a HUGE battle that supposedly no one in the city saw? C'mon! Like no one in the city looked up to see this bright light moving up in the sky to ask "What the heck was that?"

Speaking of stunning, how about those magical tranq darts that work on any person or critter regardless of sizes and weight and which work immediately to boot. In real life tranqs require a bit of time before they start to work and for it to work a specific amount is required depending on the size and weight of the target; too little, it won't do anything; too much, it dies.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

MFP 2020;3368871but when she sees Indy said:
and it shatters![/I]

Because with the snow edited out, the only thing that could be in her hands are shot glasses, since those were the last things she was handling. While I agree with a lot of the examples of unnecessary sound effects you gave, this one is an excellent example of how sound effects help tell the story and fix things.

My first post on this thread was about my gripe with how movies portray "hacking" and computers in general. I hate it every time I see someone on a computer and there is a sound effect for a progress bar, a sound for when the progress bar reaches 100%, a sound effect for when a file is clicked, a window is opened / closed. It's endless and really bugs the heck out of me. Probably because I work with computers every day. But still...

The thing is, everybody has a computer now, and I'm pretty sure nobody has used a sound theme or scheme on a computer since the late 1990s. It just smacks of some executive saying, "Are you sure it's clear enough? If they don't hear a beep, will they know the guy turned his phone off before he put it in his pocket?" I hate being treated like an idiot.

I just saw a 1960 episode of Peter Gunn in which a revolver cylinder goes ZZZZZ! I assume it was a carryover from Westerns.

Movies that have no idea what timeframe they take part in. The first Wolverine movie was downright insane when it sort of takes place in Nam and right afterward, but everyone's running around with modern weapons and uniforms.
In X men future past, there's a guy standing guard with a Kevlar helmet on in 1973... He's only a good decade ahead of time.

The self destruct on The Nostromo really bugs me. They spent so much effort in building up an incredibly realistic portrayal of a working commercial space vessel, its mission and crew, then throw in the biggest illogical cliche in the book when it's not even necessary for the story to progress.

They make a big thing out of needing to load up the shuttle with engine coolant (leading to the demise of Parker and Lambert) and Ripley even shouts at Mother that she's turned the coolant systems back on to stop the self destruct.

One line of dialogue when they are arguing after Dallas' death that they could blow the ship by turning off the engine coolant system would have dealt with the silly self-destruct thing. I guess Ridley decided not to trust the viewer's intelligence. Pity.

I've got another - this might have been mentioned... Computer OS's that have these fancy interfaces and unrealistic apps that seem to be common place for our oh-so common hero...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back