Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Lol, yea I simplified it but its because it took me out of the moment. For me, I think I would have "bought it" if he hadn't been hanging with his back to the mountain and having to cross his body. Im not saying I would have bought it if it was some other way either but I just see the angle and see that shoulder of the arm with the gauntlet holding them to the mountain going "pop".

I do agree with you about some and those same scenes and thinking about it after the fact but this one wasn't one of them for me.

One TV show that's really starting to bug me lately is NCIS. I've been a loyal fan since it started, but the first 2 episodes of season 12 have really started to turn me off.

Here's the reason: they always feel the need to have the one "big evil bad guy" who can be used for the next season or 2.
- First there was Ari Haswari until he was killed.
- Then the had The Frog who was the obsession of Jenny SHeppard, until he's killed
- Then there was Benham Parsa, then Alejandro Riverea.
- Now, in the very first episode of season 12, we have a new bad guy: a Russian terrorist named Sergei,

Can't they just continue without having the obligatory bad guy always in the background trying to destroy the team (they always have to try and destroy the team).

Mabye I'm just getting to grumpy in my old age.:angry:D

Scenes where a person is hanging from a cliff/building/bridge/etc. by their fingers, and someone is trying to grab them before they let go and fall to their death. The rescuer can barely make fingertip contact throughout the entire attempt, but when the hanging person lets go the hero above can miraculously reach another foot or so enough just in time to grab the victim's wrist and pull them to safety.

AGREED! I would also like to expand on that... Anybody who is remotely out of shape would NEVER be able to hang JUST from their fingertips... especially after a massive fist fight which includes a lead pipe, broken chair and smashing through some kind of window, followed a long winded foot chase through the woods or urban jungle obstacle course and then of course concludes with the standard trip and/or fall resulting in our hero(s) hanging for their lives... which is ALWAYS a one handed grab!

SIGH... But isn't all this why we all go to the movies in the first place? ;)

You don't see it much now, but how about night shots filmed in the day with a dark filter? GAWD...
Black costumes on a black set...at night.
Movies in the 60s and 70s routinely did night scenes where you couldn't tell anything going on, on a TV, anyway. Always drove me nuts.
Action movies set in countries with incredibly strict gun control....yet the characters have no problem securing top quality military grade ordnance.
Yeah, that always got me as well. In Ronin, where the heck could you find a SAW? Also, thanks for not putting an 'I' in Ordnance, people have always done that.
Clean cut, recently shaven and barbered soldiers with clean uniforms after being in the field for days, weeks, months.....
Amen, the pretty boy actors don't even get dirty! Heck, my field BDUs looked like they could stand up on their own even after I threw them in the washing machine, they had so much dirt and grime ground into them...
The way that once anyone becomes part of a "couple" all they ever drink is wine.
Good one. Who the heck drinks wine with regularity anyway? I know plenty of people of means, and they drink high-end liquors, not wine.

This is another one that makes me hate Foley artists: A character has just bought a large soda. It's full to the brim. He takes his first sip and...Ssssllluuurrrrp! That sound you get at the BOTTOM of the cup, when you're sucking half air. (See John Travolta in Savages.) I KNOW the cup is full; I can SEE that there's no air in the straw; yet for some reason I can't be trusted to KNOW that he's drinking soda because I'm not hearing anything? It's that whole "There has to be an accompanying sound with every visual" thing. How stupid do they think I am?

Don't answer that.

There is a door squeak that is used way, way, way too much. Currently can be heard at the beginning of that Lexus commercial where the guy enters his apartment to find water leaking into it from the apartment above.

ENOUGH WITH THE SQUEAK

Red lasers on weapons, seems like every scene in every movie and TV show that features a bunch of people with automatic weapons all dressed up in full tactical gear they always have red lasers on their weapons. Then they have to the scene where the heroes are bunched together by said tactical types with red dots all over them or they're tipped off by the laser, which is the reason why tac teams don't use lasers and those that do, esp. in the military, use IR lasers which are only visible with NVGs. The worst has to be the sniper that uses a laser, what sniper worth their salt actually uses a laser which only serves to alert their intended target and possibly give away their position?

- - - Updated - - -

This is another one that makes me hate Foley artists: A character has just bought a large soda. It's full to the brim. He takes his first sip and...Ssssllluuurrrrp! That sound you get at the BOTTOM of the cup, when you're sucking half air. (See John Travolta in Savages.) I KNOW the cup is full; I can SEE that there's no air in the straw; yet for some reason I can't be trusted to KNOW that he's drinking soda because I'm not hearing anything? It's that whole "There has to be an accompanying sound with every visual" thing. How stupid do they think I am?

Don't answer that.

On the subject of drinks and cups, I hate it when they use obviously empty cups, I see this all the time on Castle and it drives me nuts. You see the characters drinking from one of those to go coffee cups but you can just tell by the way they hold it that they're empty, they just move all wrong for there to be anything in that cup, it just seems to be too light.

The deleted Biggs scene is like that. Biggs and Luke are drinking from empty cups and way over-mime the fake drinking. They take deep, cup-emptying draughts from them repeatedly. Are these Cups of Holding?

On that score you also have the post coitus waking/getting up scene. A couple have just been making the beast with 2 backs half the night, but when they get out of bed, they drape a sheet round themselves or have their back to their partner and sheepishly put on a robe or quickly scurry on some clothes. They've just been all over your unholiest of holies, why so shy all of a sudden?

A large explosion that looks like a large field of hundreds of buried minefield breaching chrages laid out in rows and set off at a right angle to where the main explosion happens. Real explosions happen all at once, not in a slow series of 'wave' smaller detonations. Man, that drives me nuts to see that.
Every door has to make a slamming sound (which would startle people in real life), every car has to squeel tires when it takes off or goes around a corner, even on a dirt road. Every bullet must make an impact sound. I don't get it either.
On that score you also have the post coitus waking/getting up scene. A couple have just been making the beast with 2 backs half the night, but when they get out of bed, they drape a sheet round themselves or have their back to their partner and sheepishly put on a robe or quickly scurry on some clothes. They've just been all over your unholiest of holies, why so shy all of a sudden?
Yeah, and why do they also always have clean underwear on?

In their defense I think that has more to do with television censors or film age ratings.

A large explosion that looks like a large field of hundreds of buried minefield breaching chrages laid out in rows and set off at a right angle to where the main explosion happens. Real explosions happen all at once, not in a slow series of 'wave' smaller detonations. Man, that drives me nuts to see that.

Then there's the explosions that explode with a massive fireball no matter what type of ordnance was used, everything from a hand grenade to a 2,000 lbs. bomb explodes with a fireball yet when you see real life ordnance go off there's more smoke and debris than fire.

A large explosion that looks like a large field of hundreds of buried minefield breaching chrages laid out in rows and set off at a right angle to where the main explosion happens...
Then there's the explosions that explode with a massive fireball no matter what type of ordnance was used...
And, of course, they have to show the explosion again and again from all 47 different camera angles. Okay, we get it, the building blew up. Can we move on now?

How about every cop show/ movie where, no matter how long a squad/ response car has been parked at the scene of a crime, the blue and red lights have to be left on, flashing and rotating. I can understand on initial arrival, but later on, when the excitement has abated, they are usually turned off. (I presume this is more of a visual thing for directors who want to make the scene more dynamic, rather than procedurally correct). Still looks stupid IMHO

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back