Things you're tired of seeing in movies

Why would they take off their shoes? I don't take off my shoes when I enter a home. Is that the culture of some other countries? Most of us in America don't do that unless our shoes are muddy. Unless its some crazy old lady with white carpet.

Why would they take off their shoes? I don't take off my shoes when I enter a home. Is that the culture of some other countries? Most of us in America don't do that unless our shoes are muddy. Unless its some crazy old lady with white carpet.
It's pretty common out here in the west coast, actually.

It's definately a cultural thing. In Finland, it would be considered rude to walk inside with your shoes on.

I don't see the point of it unless your shoes are dirty, are the floors made of paper there or something? If its a cleanliness issue, why not just take off your underwear also?

I don't want to smell your stinky ol' feet.

Along those lines, people who arrive home from work and don't change. I don't even have to wear a tie or anything but I still switch out to comfortable lounging-around wear right away. To use TV examples, the way Archie Bunker and Al Bundy would stay in their work slacks, belt and tucked-in button-down all evening at home always threw me.

My dad used to do that though. But my mother always changes into some kind of sports suit with sweatvest or at least something comfy.

On the new show The Goldbergs-- everytime the father comes home from work, the first thing he does is take his pants off and just walks around in his underwear for the rest of the day. Yeah, that's weird, but when he does it it sure is funny!

Might've been mentioned, but I'm too lazy to wade through 50+ pages to check, but how about when, on sitcoms mainly, two people are having a conversation, one person leaves the room, then another person walks in the room right afterwards to keep the scene rolling? Was that person just waiting quietly in the next room for them to finish talking? Also, when someone's talking on the phone (again, mostly in sitcoms) and they somehow manage to have a conversation despite the character only allowing, like, two second spans between their talking for the other person to speak. I've noticed it a lot before on Seinfeld, which really sticks out because sometimes they choose to have the other person's voice audible through the phone, and THOSE conversations are perfectly spaced out :D

I don't see the point of it unless your shoes are dirty, are the floors made of paper there or something? If its a cleanliness issue, why not just take off your underwear also?

I think it's largely a cultural thing, most, if not all Asian households take their shoes of inside the house, even those where the make of the household is not Asian. My sister, sister-in-law, & mother-in-law are married to white guys and they all take their shoes off inside the house, they might not have when growing up but they certainly do now.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Shoes are inherently dirty. You don't know what sort of stuff you've been standing in, especially if you've used a public toilet.

Most people don't have stinky feet. The main cause of that is wearing shoes too long, so they don't have time to air out , wearing the same socks for days and poor hygiene.

Another couple nitpicks: When a movie is being promoted, and all the promotional material CLEARLY shows what the main villain looks like (Toys, novelizations of the film, trailers, shirts, etc...) But then you watch the movie, and the villain has his face hidden in shadow or in disguise for half the movie (example: Red Skull in TFA). Also, whenever horror movie trailers come out, they all have that scene at the end where it's oddly quiet, and the main character's just standing there... then "OHMYGOSH THE MONSTER JUMPS OUT AGGGGHHHH!!!!" I hate that.

It's pretty common out here in the west coast, actually.
It is? I've lived in California my whole life (53 years and counting), and I know of only one person who takes her shoes off almost immediately after she gets home. I hate having to wear shoes myself, actually, and more often than not even I don't remove them as soon as I get home.

It is? I've lived in California my whole life (53 years and counting), and I know of only one person who takes her shoes off almost immediately after she gets home. I hate having to wear shoes myself, actually, and more often than not even I don't remove them as soon as I get home.
It's a practice in my home and in the home of at least three of my buddies' homes, off the top of my head. In my 48 years in the SF Bay Area (off and on with some years abroad) I've known a few homes that do this - not the majority but a few. Granted mostly Asian but a couple of white folks, too.
I can't speak for SoCal - I can just say it's not rare, in my experience. Maybe it's more of a thing with us tree-huggers up north.

Last edited:
Once I am home for work, and the car is in the garage my shoes come off.

I take my shoes off at my mums house, and at some of my friends, generally speaking if you go somewhere and the hosts aren't wearing shoes, its usually a good sign you should be taking yours off.

Yeah, my wife has decided we need to do this as we're putting in a new hardwood floor right now and her parents have always been big on taking off your shoes. Otherwise I've never met anyone who does that and I've lived in each coast, been to all 50 states and several other countries.

Look, I'm certainly not saying there is anything wrong with taking your shoes off in someone's house, and I'm sure it is a cultural thing, mostly. But where I come from if you went into someone's home and immediately removed your shoes, it would be extremely rude. That is something that you only do if asked or given permission to do. By doing it you would be insinuating that you feel free to treat my home as if it was your own. Until I give you the 'Mi Casa Su Casa' bit, you do not have the right to do that in my home.

At least that's the way it is where I grew up. But I grew up in the South--people worked really hard in the blistering heat all day, so yeah, feet tend to smell a little bit in those conditions. So maybe that is why it is different there.:lol

I'd rather clean your dirt than smell your stink.

Getting back on track from footwear etiquette, how about when a characters gets shot/ stabbed in the arm/leg/shoulder, yet still keeps going? I know it's possible, but I'm guessing most people would laythere screaming in pain or just pass out.

Getting back on track from footwear etiquette, how about when a characters gets shot/ stabbed in the arm/leg/shoulder, yet still keeps going? I know it's possible, but I'm guessing most people would laythere screaming in pain or just pass out.

That's not just limited to stab or gunshot wounds, though. Watch ANY action movie and you'll see people not only surviving, but still going strong when they've had any number of debilitating injuries occur. Like, that one where the martial arts master villain kicks the hero's knee sideways (but somehow the hero can still stand/limp/fight on it?). Or the number of concussions that most heroes, villains, and "heavy" henchmen seem capable of weathering, given the kind of impacts their skulls take. Nobody ever seems to suffer lacerations when heading through a glass window... Nobody seems to get tired particularly when engaging in about of fisticuffs that lasts for 20 freaking minutes...

Don't get me wrong. It's visually exciting and I accept most of it because of that, but if you stop and think about it, most action films have heroes (and often villains) that are apparently made of rubber.

Oh, and speaking of fistfights, one movie that I saw recently which (surprisingly) got one important aspect of that right was Divergent, where the heroine basically gets her ass kicked regularly because SHE HAS NO MUSCLE TONE AND WEIGHS A BUCK TEN SOAKING WET but was going up against people who had AT LEAST 30 pounds on her, often with a substantial amount of that being muscle. She'd try to tackle some bigger dude and he'd just pick her up and throw her across the freaking room, and rightly so.

Yeah, like Carmen in "Starship Troopers" where the bug runs her through the shoulder with something about 2-3" in diameter. Yet minutes later, she still holding up a heavy rifle and firing. She even gets hugged after the rush would have died away and doesn't wince at all. Look, I have been shot and that was a grazing impact from a tiny little bullet and that hurt like heck. If I got something that big punched through my shoulder like she did in the movie, I'd shoot anyone who touched me afterward, assuming I didn't pass out from the paint to start with.
I do and have always done. Grew up in the Seattle area. There are a lot of folks around here who do the same.
I live between Seattle and Portland (have lived here since 1998) and only know of one family that does this.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back