Things you're tired of seeing in movies

How about the "let me say something very profound or revealing to the plot of the film... pause... then... turn toward but not look at the camera and... repeat what I just said..."

Then we hear the dramatic music follow - DHUM DHUM DHUMMMMMMMM.... DHUM DHUMMMMMM

UGH...

The following phrase drives me nuts as scrip writers love writing like this. I hear it all the time in movies and TV shows:
Character One: "How is Character X doing?"
Character Two: "As well as can be expected."
Seriously, who talks like that in real life?

I have heard that used in real life a lot.
Might even have used it myself at some point.
Really? I even asked around my office the other day, and everyone agreed they'd never heard anyone say that before. One of my coworkers said, "The only time I've ever heard that is on TV. Seems like a clunky way to say something."

End credits scenes are bonus material. Nobody's forcing you to sit through credits, if you don't want to.
It's nice for the folks who put work into the film to know that their names might have an audience.
The end credits scent a small reward for those who choose to stay.
Knowing this my brother still doesn't stay because he doesn't have the patience. I haven't been with him to the movies in over 20 years, I think.
I like the post credit scenes, the 1st one I recall seeing was in Tenacious D and the POD, since then I have always referred them as "golden nuggets" (though not always golden
;) ) and have included one in each of our fan-films
Watching Agents of SHIELD last night reminded how silly movies & TV shows are about people communicating via hidden comms like a Secret Service agent or something, most of the time they don't have anything in their ears but they almost always press a finger or two against their ears when they talk like the earpiece has the push to talk button. Then to make matters worse they never seem to talk into anything resembling a mic, they just talk out into air as opposed to their wrist, a jacket lapel, a shirt collar, or anywhere else that a mic might be hidden.
This bugged the hell out of me in the Avengers, especially the non-existent ear piece. The "push to talk" when there is an ear piece always bugged me too, but I have to admit to using that several times in fan-films, when we tried filming those scenes without touching the ear piece, it looks as though the actor is just talking to themselves. As far as talking into the air, I assume they have a whisper mic on their neck, although that would be bulky for a SHIELD agent wearing a suit and tie, at least the ones I could afford. (I'm sure the agency has better tech than I do) :)

Yeah, but we all know it is just a visual aid to let us know they are using it and not just talking into the air. Same way with young Charles Xavier, I mean why does he have to push his temple to turn on his telepathic powers?

But you know what I'm really tired of? People not taking their shoes off indoors.............oh wait, we already went through that.:lol

Yeah, but we all know it is just a visual aid to let us know they are using it and not just talking into the air. Same way with young Charles Xavier, I mean why does he have to push his temple to turn on his telepathic powers?

Thinking about it, I think the whole push the ear to talk initially started as agents pressing their ears to hear something coming over their ear pieces better, much like they'd do in real life, but has since changed to pushing the ear to talk. But however it came about it needs to stop, visual aid or not, I'm sure writers and directors can come up with other ways of showing that an actor is talking to a hidden mic besides touching their ear. Same with Xavier, I got very tired, very fast of seeing Xavier touching his temples every time he was supposed to be using his telepathy in First Class, they could have had him squint a little or put on a slightly blank look occasionally to change things up a bit.

I guess the Prof X temple button is one of those cases where the film maker assumes the viewer is a total moron. Same thing that weapons are shown being loaded or ****** when it was already done beforehand.

I guess the Prof X temple button is one of those cases where the film maker assumes the viewer is a total moron. Same thing that weapons are shown being loaded or ****** when it was already done beforehand.

Forgot about that one, so annoying. Just as bad is where someone is seen threatening with and/or waving a gun around only to actually chamber a round moments later when their initial threats aren't getting them anywhere. What are they doing trying to threaten people with a weapon that has no round in the chamber?

Threaten people who don't know anything about guns and therefore don't immediately see they weren't actually loaded at first. Works often enough in robberies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just as bad is where someone is seen threatening with and/or waving a gun around only to actually chamber a round moments later when their initial threats aren't getting them anywhere. What are they doing trying to threaten people with a weapon that has no round in the chamber?
Reminds me of a friend of mine from years ago who was a state trooper. He walked in on a robbery in progresss at a gas station totally by accident. The robber pointed a M1911A1 .45 caliber pistol (with a hammer on the back of the slide area) at him, not knowing he was a state trooper as my pal was in civvies at the time. Well, he noticed that the hammer wasn't back, so disarming him with a breeze. As the guy was handcuffed in the car that showed up with backup, my friend asked him why he hadn't ****** the hammer if he wanted to be taken seriously. The would-be robber actually admitted he hadn't done it so he could for dramatic effect if he'd needed to, as the movies all had robbers doing that.
Score one for for the good guys in regard to stupid audiences, the troopers all said...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back