Things you're tired of seeing in movies

The thing that you have to understand is, aside from small indie and arthouse studios, all studios make movies to make money, they never have been and probably never will be interested in making art. All of the major film studios (and TV studios too) are not in the business of making art or even entertainment, they're in the business of making money and film and TV just happens to be how they make their money. So it's really rather pointless to complain about Hollywood doing certain things because all they care about is money because that's the it's always been and will probably always be as well. Not that it wouldn't be nice if we got a studio or studios that actually cared about putting out a good product in addition to making a buck but even then it won't matter because even if the head of the studio cares you can guarantee that his board and chief stockholders won't and he costs them money at the expense of creating art then he/she is going to find themselves out of a job when the board votes them out in favor of a new CEO who's more than willing to sacrifice art for profits.

That said, I don't think it's unfair to wish that studios believed that making quality product would mean they'd make more money.

I think what actually ends up happening, though, is that you get people in charge who don't know what quality product actually is. They know what moneymaking product is, but not quality, and therefore, if and when you end up with a good film that makes a lot of money, they have no idea how to replicate the effort at any level other than the most superficial. And their instincts on what to do in the future often end up either being "Recreate the superficial stuff from before" or "take the superficial stuff from before and embiggen it."

20 second scene of the leading man taking his shirt off for no apparent reason than to show us all that the actor spent 6 months in a gym before filming.

Really seems like EVERY damn movie has that scene now.

20 second scene of the leading man taking his shirt off for no apparent reason than to show us all that the actor spent 6 months in a gym before filming.

Really seems like EVERY damn movie has that scene now.

Hey, women represent a terrific, historically underserved population when it comes to film. And, of course, the most obvious way to cater to them is to assume that there's a "female gaze" identical to the "male gaze" and to provide them with beefcake shots to appeal to that gaze.

Still, most of these scenes feel so pasted on that it serves no pupose storywise. Guardians of the galaxy anybody?

If it is indeed a ruse to get more women to watch these kinds of movies, it's kinda sexist to presume that you can lure them in with a 'beefcake treat'.

Still, most of these scenes feel so pasted on that it serves no pupose storywise. Guardians of the galaxy anybody?

If it is indeed a ruse to get more women to watch these kinds of movies, it's kinda sexist to presume that you can lure them in with a 'beefcake treat'.
I don't think it's any more sexist than, say, putting attractive women in advertising to sell more cars, beer, burgers, or whatever, to men. Granted, men are generally easier to predict and/or manipulate when it comes to the old "sex sells" philosophy (damn you testosterone!!!), but what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

You are right. I'm still tired of seeing it in movies though.

I also dislike when people in movies are going on a vacation and they bring giant pieces of luggage with them that apparently weigh nothing because they are indeed empty.

Also quite irritating when people just walk in a house and don't close the door behind thenm.

Or just hang up the phone without saying goodbye first.

People never lock their door, either.

And characters who get home and stay in their work clothes for longer than five seconds. Who doesn't change the minute they get home?

Also quite irritating when people just walk in a house and don't close the door behind them.

Who does that? "You're letting the bugs out!"

- - - Updated - - -

And characters who get home and stay in their work clothes for longer than five seconds. Who doesn't change the minute they get home?

I'm in my pajamas 5 minutes after I'm through the door.
I thought I was some kind of weirdo...

When people walk up to the edge of a cliff they've never been to and get within a half an inch of the edge with no way of knowing what's underneath. Anyone see the scene in "San Andreas" where they almost drive into the open fault? They walk up to within a foot of the edge. Nobody in real life would dream of getting that close!

I also dislike when people in movies are going on a vacation and they bring giant pieces of luggage with them that apparently weigh nothing because they are indeed empty.
Or how about someone going off for a couple of weeks and their bag isn't big enough for their toothbrush. Are they planning on buying all the clothes they will need when they get there?
Also quite irritating when people just walk in a house and don't close the door behind them.
On sitcoms you see it all the time. On Big Bang Theory, it's so annoying because a person as riddled with mental issues like Sheldon is would never allow that.
Or just hang up the phone without saying goodbye first.
God, that drives me nuts, too.

Similar to suitcases is when people are carnying cardboard boxes that are obviously empty, a recent episode of the last ship was bad for that.

But the biggest culprit for "this box isn't as heavy as it should be" has to go to Kellys Heroes for the casual way people are throwing about boxes full of gold bars.

Speaking of getting up after being asleep, what about when you see women wake up from having been asleep for hours and yet their hair looks like just like it did when they went to bed. That's part of what I think I found so funny about the end of the opening scene in Guardians of the Galaxy when Starlord's one night stand shows up, she actually had a pretty serious case of bed hair.

Or how about someone going off for a couple of weeks and their bag isn't big enough for their toothbrush. Are they planning on buying all the clothes they will need when they get there?
Now that depends on where you're going and possibly the currency exchange rate. When we used to go to the States on holiday a lot I would have little more than a carry on bag for a 2 week trip, hit a couple of malls on the 1st day and a big holdall and stock right up.

Speaking of getting up after being asleep, what about when you see women wake up from having been asleep for hours and yet their hair looks like just like it did when they went to bed. That's part of what I think I found so funny about the end of the opening scene in Guardians of the Galaxy when Starlord's one night stand shows up, she actually had a pretty serious case of bed hair.
The funniest thing is when right after... well, you know, and people still have their underwear on. :confused

Another after being asleep... when someone turns on a light and their eyes have adjusted within miliseconds...

OR

Women going to sleep with ALL their makeup on

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back