Want to build OB1 ANH saber - where to start?

HeartBlade

Sr Member
Hey guys

So I want to try my hand at building an Obi Wan ANH weathered saber, ideally to be as accurate as possible (using authentic parts or accurate replicas of those parts) and with all metal parts. Eventually I would like to incorporate things like a crystal and make a reveal, lights, and sound. :D

I would like advice on where to start with this project such as what kit to buy, what threads to read, tips and tricks, etc. I know that the MR is innaccurate but I dont know if the Romans or Russ rep is more accurate. Im still a noob when it comes to building things however and dont have power tools to help me with the process. I know this is a long process that will most likely require kit bashing and slowly upgrading overtime.

Anywhere.

Start anywhere.

Also, if you use the search feature on the RPF you'll find a trove of Obi ANH saber building tips, tricks, parts makers and real world parts, assembly and finished builds for inspiration.

Let us know what you find and what your plan is for your build.

As far as replica parts go, you can't go wrong with Roman's. You can purchase everything in one go and have it in no time. With russrep parts you'll have to wait for each run.

Hi there,

and should you decide to go all real vintage parts then know that the pommel is
made of chromed plastic ... not metal:

Chaim

Here is my Roman's AFBB, received in October

DSC_0830_zps2d906496.jpg

I just completed an Obi saber using Roman's parts with a Russ booster as one of my first builds. Roman's parts are excellent, fit together very easily and don't require any special tools.

Definitely start by reading through some existing threads on the Obi saber, there's tons of info on here that can help you make yours very accurate. Have fun with it!

Thanks for the feedback and support so far. Started going through the threads and sent an email to Romans to start out.

Im not sure I want to go fully authentic parts like grenade, graflex, etc. The emitter itself sounds like a really expensive purchase.

Quick question about these parts. So I ebayed a graflex to see how much they would cost and saw that they would go for about $300. I was wondering if these companies produce these parts again or if there is a company that accurately replicates these parts. As cool as it would be to have a grenade from WWI as a part, I do feel a little bad about destroying a part of history. A Han Solo Mauser would be crazy.

If you want to start collecting real parts, you should keep an eye on the Junkyard. Often people are selling various parts that are usually quite a bit more reasonably priced than what you will find on ebay.

And I wouldn't say that $300 is the going rate... some sellers on eBay might want that.... but it's definitely on the high end of the pricing scale.

A better range would probably be $150-$200.

And there are deals to be had... I managed to pick up a graflex 2 cell on there in excellent condition last month for $100... you just have to keep checking.

I will back up the statement that you can't go wrong with Roman's excellent replica parts. I just received my third complete kit. The quality and attention to detail is simply outstanding.

Thank you everyone for your great advice so far. Did a search and am reading through a ton of threads. Am planning to buy a Romans kit but am not sure if Im going to try weathering myself or just buy the weathered kit so am planning on looking at how to weathered threads before choosing a kit.

Seems like a vintage Obi will cost at least $4000, maybe more but the good thing is it would take at least 5 years to collect all the parts, maybe more so a ton of time to save and earn (lol. Got to stay positive). The pictures were very inspirational.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back