Build Log - Map to Thrawn (Ashoka)

Sealing the Foam

Now that I have the final shape, I proceeded to seal the foam with drywall spackle. I used the spatula in the photo above to press the spackle into the foam.
View attachment 1810938

And once everything was covered and dry, I sanded everything down using a disposable nail file / emory board. These are great since there is a coarse and fine side and it thin and flexible to get in between the gap.
View attachment 1810939

Next I mixed up some spackle with water to create a thinned goop that will help get into the gaps better and spread it across the entire surface to smooth out sections and give the overall look a smoother appearance.

Below is the final spackled piece. I then mixed up some Mod Podge and grey acrylic paint and applied it to the entire surface for a total of two coats.
View attachment 1810942

View attachment 1810953

Once that dried, everything received another sanding including removing the visible brush strokes. This was then followed by two coats of filler primer and more sanding but gentler than before with 500g and 1000g sandpaper on the exterior surfaces.
View attachment 1810944
Dude I’m loving this

What I also love is instead of 3d printing stuff like this you go back to the roots and build it all from scratch

Hats off to ya

The Finished Product

Next up was applying a black wash. I basically used some standard DecoArt acrylic black paint from the local hobby store and mixed it with some distilled water. Wetted everything with some water and applied the wash using a paint brush. Pretty forgiving process if you mess up or if you want to experiment. Two coats was enough to get the color where I wanted. I liked how the wash gets into all of the nooks and cracks.
12b Wash - Initial.JPG

13a Wash - Final.JPG

13b Wash - Final.JPG

After this I used a microfiber cloth dipped in IPA to gently remove the heavier sections of the wash and fine tune the look. After wards I dry brushed some black, brown and light grey to give it more character and finished it with 2 coats of Krylon Matte Clear to seal everything up.

And here are the finished photos. Size wise, I think I made good choice since it will fit in my display case nicely. If I had the room I would have left it the original height but the beauty here is you can customize it to what suits you.
23 Final.JPG

24 Final.JPG

20 Final.JPG

22 Final.JPG

A final collage of a few select photos to show the progress.
IMG_0493.JPG

awesome result! thank you for sharing all the progress :) you made great justice to the ball kit and pushed it further with the display base :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back