MOS General Zod Kryptonian Build, slow but steady

Belts are done! I strung together 8 of these segments and strapped them around my waist. No comments on my waistline please :) The bend as expected and I think I'm going to e very happy with them. Question is though, do I leave it on the velcro or replace that and stitch them to a stretchy strap instead with the velcro at the ends as fasteners? Decisions decisions.

It took about 4 hours to sand down the edges and make the four holes in each segment and then drizzle in new resin with a popsicle stick.
Belt-strap.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking I will fasten the first/last segments to the chest and the backplate. What do you think? The velcro and rings don't seem to be quite tight enough. Also the back plate isn't done yet, I put it up just to see how it hangs, unfortunately my dress form doesn't have a butt so the cod piece wouldn't stay up with its straps.
Side-Straps.jpg

Attachments

• Side-Straps.JPG
    Side-Straps.JPG
    821.1 KB · Views: 183
Thanks IceTyrant. This is my first build and I'm surprised that nobody has offered any advice or pitfalls to avoid. I'm finding them the hard way. :-/

I've started building up the details on the back of the chestplate. I figured if I mess up at least it's on the back. Learned quite a bit about some craft foam techniques to get tapered and curved objects (the light grey objects). The white PVC probably won't get much more detail since it's all covered up by the cloak and "poofs" the cloak out from the back.

One more thing: The space up around the top rectangle bump will be filled in with foam and covered up by Apoxie Sculpt so that I can contour the back up to the grey hump.
Back-details.jpg

Last edited:
The outer collar is done and some of the front details. I still have one that goes from the top corner of the crest to the outside edge and the beveled contours around the holes.
Collar-Front-details.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

So, these are little support triangles for what will be a skin of craft foam and then a skin of worbla. I could have used Apoxie Sculpt but it would probably be pretty heavy after. Trying to keep the weight down.
Support-Triangles.jpg

I'm having a fairly successful attempt at stretching the craft foam over the triangle "ribs". Some of the triangles will get an impromptu xacto shave down later.
One-Side-Covered.jpg

Both sides are skinned. I'll probably underheat the worbla a bit to keep it taught. If it does sag I'll have to use a bondo or something to fill it in. Still this is pretty light to wear.

And... my fingers have a slight glazing of superglue now :-/
Both-Sides-Covered.jpg

Last edited:
Here's the back of the collar and the bevels on the front are now skined in worbla. I think I will use a tiny bit of apoxie sculpt to smooth out the seams and fill in that inner corner a tiny bit, it's too steep.
Back-of-collar.jpgBevels-covered.jpg

Here's a shot on the progress around the collar. I'm stalling and working on other stuff until the apoxie sculpt arrives. The collar is nine pieces. Three on the back half, and three on each side as they slope down to the front. I think I'm going to buy a pool noodle and cut it down to get that nice slightly rounded top.
Collar-progress.jpg

@100Topher, Thanks.

Here is the result of redoing the top of the collar with a half round cap made from copper pipe insulation tubes. The Apoxie sculpt has also been applied to make some of the front/back details and fill in on the front sides. I will need to sand like a mad man to get it smooth and flat sided. BTW the Apoxie has virtually no odor at all. Also, use a little water on your fingers and and makes Apoxie butter smooth and it won't crack/pit as badly either.
Apoxie-front-collar.jpgApoxie-back.jpg

Last edited:
Added the crest to the front finally. I figured I could save a ton of Apoxie by just layering up foam like a contour map so I could spread the Apoxie over the receding layers. It worked like a charm! I only purchased 1lb of the stuff and I haven't even gone through half of it yet. I now realize I need to fix the scoop over the right shoulder, it seems to be a different curve than the left. Drats! That's what I get for doing it half awake.
Crest-layers.jpgCrest-apoxied.jpg

Here are the details for the collar that 'm currently working on. I'm about 2/3rd's done. There are three foam pieces per inch and there's 29" of collar. Each strip plus on every other strip a small 1/3rd wide raised strip. Each big strip is tapered so it will go around the bend. Even this it still ended up slightly slanted on the back strip, oh well.
Collar-details.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back