Breakfast at Tiffany's Dress

The Senator

I think I'm going to try to make Audrey Hepburn's black dress from Breakfast at Tiffany's.

Pictures:
Front
Back

Has anyone made this, or does anyone have any pattern suggestions?

I stood face to face with this dress when I was in London back in September. There is a Christie's auction house in my mom's neighborhood of South Kensington. It was on display later to be auctioned off. It was just there in the middle of a room on a mannequin behind a velvet rope, unattended. I could have reached out and touched it if I'd wanted to...no protective case or anything.

The thing about it that struck me was how small Audrey Hepburn must have been to fit into it. it was the tiniest waist I've ever seen on a dress. Very cool.

Of course it smelled of wet cats and that guy from the A Team. Ha.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeatleTrooper @ Feb 8 2007, 12:53 AM) [snapback]1414306[/snapback]</div>
The thing about it that struck me was how small Audrey Hepburn must have been to fit into it. it was the tiniest waist I've ever seen on a dress.[/b]

She suffered from poor nutrition during those crutial adolescent growth years hiding out from the Nazis. Yes, made her very thin indeed.
Classy dress, classy lady.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BeatleTrooper @ Feb 7 2007, 11:53 PM) [snapback]1414306[/snapback]</div>
I stood face to face with this dress when I was in London back in September. There is a Christie's auction house in my mom's neighborhood of South Kensington. It was on display later to be auctioned off. It was just there in the middle of a room on a mannequin behind a velvet rope, unattended. I could have reached out and touched it if I'd wanted to...no protective case or anything.

The thing about it that struck me was how small Audrey Hepburn must have been to fit into it. it was the tiniest waist I've ever seen on a dress. Very cool.

Of course it smelled of wet cats and that guy from the A Team. Ha.
[/b]

Wow. Yeah, I knew they were auctioning it off a while back. I wish I could have seen it. Could you tell what kind of fabric it was made of? I read somewhere that it was a Givenchy pattern/dress, but I haven't yet read (or have forgotten) what the material was.

And rest assured, if I *do* make this dress, I won't be hugging any wet cats. Or guys from the A-Team. :lol

It was pure black with no pattern to the fabric. Not flimsy material for sure. It wasn't shiny and might have been a thick silk blend. I'm just not sure.

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back