ESB and ROTJ stunt light saber blade source

Quote from wookiepedia

"During the filming of Episode V, it was decided creating an in-camera glowing effect was more trouble than it was worth, so the spinning rods were swapped for CARBON rods. While these new blades were less cumbersome than before, they were still very fragile and frequently broke. However, they continued to be used for Episode VI.[54]"

Last edited:
Have you considered Carbon fibre fishing rods??

Edit: Also look into obtaining an old Javelin, I believe the rear part of a Javelin is tapered extruded aluminium.

HTH :)

You "could" use carbon fiber now--it's become less expensive and is now safe.
In fact, your best bet is to visit a shop that makes custom pool cues. Same tapered shape.

Ya I should look into that for the longest time I thought some of the bladed stunts Luke had in empire were tapered and sized just like pool cues ! lol also I heard someone said either Steve sansweet or don bies Im not sure which said this but they said they even used an old tank antenna as a stunt blade(s)!

anyone know another good place for tapered rods aluminum or carbon here in the Dallas Texas area? I'm eager to get these sabers started

Last edited:
Well, I'm your neighbor down here in Houston--but will see if I can help track down a source ;)

Not sure how much I'd buy into Sansweet's OT prop input.
He wasn't involved until the new trilogy, and was previously notorious for his knowledge of action figures and toys (Tomarts Guide). He may have more knowledge than I suspect, but he had been known as a "toy man"...lol.
His involvement grew when he joined LFL for TPM.

I wanted to update all my fellow board members that I found a plain csrbon rod no fiber in it that was supposedly used in the OT stunt sabers by many sources I firmly believe James kenobi was right because when I bought these carbon rods that were 3/4 and 1/2 inch in diameter INSTANTLY SHATTER when they striked one another! And keep in mind I did not put a lot of weight behind my blows I spent 60$ total on these two rods but I guess it was worth seeing if they worked or not but seriously these would have made horrible saber blades so those people who say carbon was used and I don't mean carbon fiber as it was not really around back then need to buy a couple and you will see what I'm talking about . So for my replicas aluminum it is !

Yep, I'll add +1 for aluminum. from what I've seen and read on these forums it seems like a very economical and practical choice. I'm still unsure of where or how the tapered, hollow, and rounded tip tubes come from. I've never seen any. Maybe, as has been said, they were custom made for LFL

I'd also like to add that I see metal sleeves (tubes) embedded in the Flash-Gun sabers, in order to hold the blades in. Were they set in place by pouring resin in there? stuffing around it with foam? ..magic..?

I've never noticed the sleeves do you have a picture showing the sleeves?

Yep, I'll add +1 for aluminum. from what I've seen and read on these forums it seems like a very economical and practical choice. I'm still unsure of where or how the tapered, hollow, and rounded tip tubes come from. I've never seen any. Maybe, as has been said, they were custom made for LFL

I'd also like to add that I see metal sleeves (tubes) embedded in the Flash-Gun sabers, in order to hold the blades in. Were they set in place by pouring resin in there? stuffing around it with foam? ..magic..?

hmm I just took some screencaps (I'm lazy today)
Also - I can't find it but I swear there is a pic of the Barbican Saber form the emitter end.

Picture 65.pngPicture 66.pngPicture 67.pngPicture 68.png

Edit: the first pic, something reflects light beneath the bunny-ear ring. I thought this was a tube like the last pic.

Well after shopping around and reading something I researched multiple things I read is that the said they used carbon and or graphite rods after my researching inreally see it as a MAJOR possibillity that graphite couda been used as I was told by the company that sold me my ill fated carbon blades that people who use both graphite and carbon I'm rod form can seldomly tell the difference so that as a possibillity and that fact that some of the stunt blades esp in Empire I picked up a graphite pool stick its nice and tapered and once cut to the right lengths and all covered up with reflective tape should look pretty darn close to the original but I'm still holding out for done tapered aluminum blades anyone find out where I can find those??

After many months and careful research I missed something they did use carbon rods and aluminum both were used in empire and Jedi one of the things I missed was something I posted myself ! They stated that the carbon rods were very fragile and broke all l The time which would explain the carbon rods I broke broke very soon after I bought them so after all my research I'm going to build my stunt sabers using carbon rods and aluminum tubes one of each I believe the carbon rod would be the most accurate as it seems that's what they used more so than the aluminum here's that quote from my source did I posted earlier on this form so like I said it's very clear and I found out that they used both carbon rods and aluminum tubes

Here's the quote

"Mark Hamill and Bob Anderson duel with carbon rods.
During the filming of Episode V, it was decided creating an in-camera glowing effect was more trouble than it was worth, so the spinning rods were swapped for carbon rods . While these new blades were less cumbersome than before, they were still very fragile and frequently broke. However, they continued to be used for Episode VI."

So now on to order some new carbon rods and some reflective tape !!

Now I need some advice from you guys who are way more talented than I ...how do I get a solid carbon rod into a luke ROTJ Yuma stunt that has a hole in the nipple smaller than the solid carbon blade ? An adapter of some sort? ???
Cause in that Yuma pic it looks like there's tape or a plaudits something holding the blade on

Thoughts?

Last edited:
James kenobi you said that luke ESB bladed stunt saber from Christie's auction had an aluminum blade. Do you have the auction description writing that says what the blade was made out of ?????any writing details from that auction at all?

In the prequels when they're using aluminum blades they bend ALOT, but in ESB and ROTJ we sever see boh or photos of any remotely bent stunt blades
Are we sure they were aluminum ?? aluminum eventually bends esp as blades

Every thing I read says they were. Carbon/graphite

Last edited:
Just a little info for you on your quest, hopefully it may be of use to you??

Earlier in the thread I mentioned fishing rod. In rod terms as I understand it Graphite & carbon refer to carbon fibre & carbon fibre fishing rods were introduced in the mid 1970's just in time to use as stunt saber blades in ESB.

In ROTS the Anakin saber blade was made from Texalium.

I also mentioned a Javelin as a possible source for an Aluminium blade. An aluminium javelin is extruded & I believe they're hardened, hardened aluminium wont bend as easily as regular aluminium, they're hollow & tapered.

HTH :)

Last edited:
We'll I finally found a blade and material that's pretty darn accurate.....

I took a still of one of the vader and luke bespin BTS photos where they both have their sabers upright giving me a good side view of the tapering of the blades did some " measurements" comparing and using my MPP sizing it to Vaders then measure ect ect lol then while shopping at academy sports of all places!! I found a rod that got the size spot on!!! I'll post better pics later best I could get cause the thing is looong lol just like they were on set!! Here's the pic

http://s992.photobucket.com/user/Saberman90/media-full/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zps2e1bd395.jpg.html

Last edited:
Since you have photobucket why not use the IMG copy - paste function instead so that your picture is revealed here immediately like so :

I do prefere threads with pictures offer those that don't.

Anyhoo ... what is that sports equipment in your hand ... which after much inquiries and deliberations you decided to use as a stunt blade?!

Chaim

its a real long golf club shaft made of real thin lightweight carbon steel or so im told thats the material. its the most lightweight blade ive ever held. spent a whole 12.99 on it and it DOES NOT bend at all!! its now my material of choice!! bought two of em and can put em down !!! i HIGHLY recommend themi can even give you the prod# if you'd like

Since you have photobucket why not use the IMG copy - paste function instead so that your picture is revealed here immediately like of so :

[url]http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Stuntbladelightsaber_zpse854900b.jpg[/URL]

I do prefere threads with pictures offer those that don't.

Anyhoo ... what is that sports equipment in your hand ... which after much inquiries and deliberations you decided to use as a stunt blade?!

Chaim

its a real long golf club shaft made of real thin lightweight carbon steel or so im told thats the material. its the most lightweight blade ive ever held. spent a whole 12.99 on it and it DOES NOT bend at all!! its now my material of choice!! bought two of em and can put em down !!! i HIGHLY recommend themi can even give you the prod# if you'd like

Golf shafts are either made of steel or graphite. The only company that does a combo is AeroTech who makes a steel fiber shaft, but they've never done one in that color scheme that you've shown. If it is as light as you say, then it's just a graphite shaft.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back