Space Cowboys ship, Battle Beyond the Stars FINISHED!

Re: Space Cowboys ship, Battle Beyond the Stars

Hey Markus, Are the "catamaran" greeblies really correct? they don't look to be full round 'hot dogs' Do you have one of the kits? I'm looking for pics from one now.

I don´t see any real evidence of the parts on the ship being full round...but my eyes are not that trained when it comes to identify kitparts for studio scale building

Markus

You forgot to mark the Veron TomTit parts as identified...100% sure about this (see my older post)

Markus

Is there any chance of getting dimensions or measurements of those parts? I would love to have that information!

Lee spotted parts from the Stromberg / Lindberg Space Base kit, and since I have that one, I could confirm it:

Attachments

• IMG_1234.JPG
    IMG_1234.JPG
    725.1 KB · Views: 525

Updated the parts map with a fair few more pieces. Not doing too bad considering the only ref is off the BluRay :)
SpaceCowboy_Parts_v03.jpg

Re: Space Cowboys ship, Battle Beyond the Stars PART ID HELP NEEDED :)

All of the models were built at Roger Corman's New World Studios in Venice, CA, and filmed there as well (sadly, the facility, a converted lumber yard, no longer exists). Nell was designed by James Cameron, and built by Pat McClung. Robert and Dennis Skotak, along with Maury Shallock (sp?), Tom Sullivan, Brian Chin and several others contributed to the model crew (Brent Scrivner may have been there during that film, not sure -- he passed several years later, sadly). The Skotak brothers were responsible for many VFX shots, mostly the non-moco shots, which were handled by another crew, led by Chuck Comisky (who supervised the entire VFX shoot).

Extensive kit bashing and "found objects" were used for the miniatures. I started at New World as a model maker just the VFX work for Escape from New York was wrapping up. All the miniatures were located in the model shop at that time. The space station was hanging from the ceiling for many years. Lots of Airfix and Monogram Saturn V parts on that one, including EMA ("Plastruct") parts, along with Evergreen styrene sheets and parts.

The shop did not have any elaborate tools, though Brent did bring in his own vacuum former periodically; very little molding or casting was done there until Android, my last film there.

Sorry I cannot provide specific details regarding Cowboy's ship. It was one of my favorites though, and I held it in my hands many times. It was not very large, to my recollection. Although I was not fond of the design, Nell was clearly the best made in terms of modeling quality. Pat did a fantastic job on the detailing. I believe that Jim Cameron may have actually painted the ship. He may even have carved the green foam shape (which was either bondoed or glassed, can't recall). Pat could tell you for sure. My comments are recollections from conversations with Robert, Dennis, Brian and Brent primarily.

Hope this helps, at least a little...

Jay Roth

Sure does Jay!
Of course if you'd taken some pics of it, that would have been really handy :)
Yeh it's not a big ship, I have blown up some of the HD stills and printed them out at 'real' scale. It makes finding and checking parts a little easier.
Would you have any idea who owns it these days?
L

The joy of part ID's continues... and, I discovered what makes up the end-caps for the Saturn V halves! L'eggs containers, dangit. Here's 2 pics of me fitting the (one!) vintage L'egg that I do own to the First Stage half.

Attachments

• IMG_2566 A.png
    IMG_2566 A.png
    765.4 KB · Views: 370
  • IMG_2568 A.png
    IMG_2568 A.png
    737 KB · Views: 372

Ahh the good old Leggs pod. Going to have to fight some Y-wing builders now.

If you're still looking for those bellows looking things on the landing gear, they look remarkably like the air flap control bellows used on 1960's and earlier VW Beetles, Ghias, etc.. It sits under the right hand side cylinders, and holds the cooling flaps on the fan shut until the engine warms up. As it warms up, it expands - opening the flaps to cool the cylinders. Would have been cheap and plentiful about the time that movie was made.

Hmmm, a very interesting idea/suggestion
http://hugues.tipi.free.fr//photo/techniquevw/CalorstatCox.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone confirm if these are the 'Leggs Eggs' I should be looking for?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nos-3-Vintage-1970s-Leggs-Eggs-Nylon-Pantyhose-Stockings-Sheer-Toe-Nude-EGG-Q-/390748889103?pt=Vintage_Women_s_Clothing&hash=item5afa72e00f

Howdy,
I think Duncanator is right about the car thermostat bellows. BBtS Space Cowboys ship Thermostat bellows.jpg
They have been making them for every car and truck model since the thirties. You'll have hundreds to chose from. However I think your scratch build is just as good.

Duncanator, and Darth Ronnow, I certainly appreciate the input! I have no size information on the bellows parts you are talking about; based just on my personal measurements of screencaps that I enlarged to match confirmed parts, the finned leg engines have a diameter of 30.0mm (1.2"). And so...

I am gambling on it being a Williams Brothers product, specifically, the Wright J-5 Whirlwind engine cylinder.

The William's Brothers aviation engines fit the correct time period, and were available in a multitude of scales. The R/C modeling crowd has used these products for decades to appropriately "period-dress" their models, so, while it's a gamble, it is not inconceivable...

The lower portion of the engine cylinder is an amazingly close match... but figuring out just which scale of the J-5 is the question! I'm really hoping that it is the 1/5th scale 'cause I just ordered up four of them. I should get them in a few days...

Attachments

• William Brothers 1_5 Scale J-5 Radial Cylinder.jpg
    William Brothers 1_5 Scale J-5 Radial Cylinder.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 399

Until someone else provides a better match within available parts from the 1979 time frame, I am calling this identified: 1/5 scale Wright J-5 Whirlwind from the William's Brothers aviation engine kit. Your mileage may vary. :)

Attachments

• IMG_9196 A.png
    IMG_9196 A.png
    811.9 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_9198 a.png
    IMG_9198 a.png
    751.9 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_9200 a.png
    IMG_9200 a.png
    701 KB · Views: 365
  • IMG_9201 a.png
    IMG_9201 a.png
    796.2 KB · Views: 338
  • IMG_9204 a.png
    IMG_9204 a.png
    801.2 KB · Views: 364

Looks good! I've just emailed a couple of places about the metal pieces too see if they have anything. But this seems very close!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back