Our "Jurassic Park" cryocan - in progress...

:p exactly, as long as YOU are happy with your own work :)

:D

...sent a couple questions to the resident cryocan authority, Rylo, about the last things on my to-do list for this build. Really, I'm mostly trying to figure out an efficient way to trim the bottom of the emptied Barbasol can. Getting the can empty & bottom off were really no problem...trimming it past the indentation at the bottom has me a little stumped though. :)

Any thoughts from other folks are welcome too...

...sent a couple questions to the resident cryocan authority, Rylo, about the last things on my to-do list for this build. Really, I'm mostly trying to figure out an efficient way to trim the bottom of the emptied Barbasol can. Getting the can empty & bottom off were really no problem...trimming it past the indentation at the bottom has me a little stumped though. :)

Have you looked on amazon or bladeplay. Com at their barbasol can safe. It has a false bottom that screws off. They cryorack or the base of the can might need to be modified for this route though... Also not sure how large the can is on the inside. I have one coming in the mail this week!

Have you looked on amazon or bladeplay. Com at their barbasol can safe. It has a false bottom that screws off. They cryorack or the base of the can might need to be modified for this route though... Also not sure how large the can is on the inside. I have one coming in the mail this week!

The one on bladeplay is the new logo. Ain't ideal but might work to get ideas.

100% worthless for a proper cryo rack. The threads are huge. One needs every bit of available space inside the can for a properly sized rack to fit. Most also have a plate at the top of the can.

Sent you a PM.

We made a rig (allowing the cans to be clamped in place without damage) for the lathe and simply machined them off. It can be a little tricky, but makes for a clean cut and proper fit.

So, I'm just about finished. :) Have to find a gasket for the thing, do the final cut on the 'Barbasol' can, (the safety can cut, initially used, isn't going to work since the gasket has to go past the slight indentation at the bottom of the can - if you have a can you can take a look at the indented area round' the rim at the bottom & see what I'm talking about), & label/fill the microcentrifuge tubes.

I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

In progress painting pics, (collage):
View attachment 332723

Finished pics, (collage):
View attachment 332724

Finished pic - edited:
View attachment 332725

Finished pic - next to can:
View attachment 332726

...it's down to the little details now & I'm glad to be done with most of the work, honestly. :)

looks just like it! so cool!

Haven't looked there, but I'll see if anything applies. :) Thanks!

The one on bladeplay is the new logo. Ain't ideal but might work to get ideas.

Gotcha'.

Sent you a PM.

We made a rig (allowing the cans to be clamped in place without damage) for the lathe and simply machined them off. It can be a little tricky, but makes for a clean cut and proper fit.

Responded to the PM. :) Thank you much for the response!

looks just like it! so cool!

Thanks! :)

My husband says he wants one of these every time we watch the movie! I would like to be that wife to get that gift. I've been doing some digging and I came across your thread. In one of the threads you stated that you were going to post the 3D plans once you had them all worked out. Did I miss them or have you not posted the plans or are you not going to post the plans?

I'm away from my hobby o' working on props for a while as I'm dealing with big-time employment issues & such. :) I haven't released the 3D files for my build & haven't gotten around to cleaning them up to do so. Sorry. I have almost no time to dig into the hobby right now, as I gotta' make sure I keep a roof over my kids' heads & so on...

After reading through the majority of the thread, I wondered two main things. Could someone point me in the direction of the correct Barbasol can? What is the correct size of the tubes (there's 0.5 ml, 1ml, 2 ml, so on)?

After reading through the majority of the thread, I wondered two main things. Could someone point me in the direction of the correct Barbasol can? What is the correct size of the tubes (there's 0.5 ml, 1ml, 2 ml, so on)?

They don't make the correct can anymore sadly.

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Tapatalk 2

That's what I've heard, but I wondered if anyone was able to locate an eBay seller, et cetera. Do you happen to have any info on my second question?

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back