Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

I have a question.

On the right side (or the suit's left side) where the cape attaches there is a hump, like it doesn't lay right. I also noticed this in pics of Cavill in the suit. What causes that? Is it intentional or a flaw?

I have a question.

On the right side (or the suit's left side) where the cape attaches there is a hump, like it doesn't lay right. I also noticed this in pics of Cavill in the suit. What causes that? Is it intentional or a flaw?

Do you mean where the trapezius meets the shoulder, the dip? If so, that's just because the suit doesn't fit the mannequin properly. The shoulder muscle from the undersuit is kinda sticking out. I can't say I've seen this happen on Cavill though.

No go on the fabric. :(
"Hi! thank you for your email. Sorry this is the only one we have in stock (Insert link to dark navy fabric here)"

No, surprisingly. Although black shouldn't be too hard to find...
Theres a large fabric warehouse not too far from me, I'll see if they have anything when I get the chance.

Im not sure that it is the same fabric material that all been discussed , but i found this : Spandex World fabric Catalog - 4187

Although the spelling are different : Glissenette and Glissnet .

Also found this : spandex fabrics, lycra fabrics, wholesale spandex fabric, spandex lycra, stretch fabric, nylon spandex, printed spandex, nylon print, nylon trico, polyester print fabric, stretch sequin fabric, hologram fabric, stretch vinyl, poly spandex fabrics, co

The Matte Glissenette material and its under the category of mesh material . Is this the same material ? and its 4 way Stretch . Is it closer that what we are looking for ? Or it might be difficult to find the correct color , what if we get the white Matte Glissnet to dye with the accurate color ??

Im also working on my MOS suit and in the stage of working on the chain mail texture to test print on Fabric .

Found these on facebook and thought I'd share
1395228_670825342927678_512348822_n.jpg1463022_691257737551105_1033067089_n.jpg1470277_691257914217754_2026791674_n.jpg1476049_691258670884345_1655412002_n.jpg1385661_670839952926217_1700793253_n.jpg

Nice, thanks for sharing these photos!

Incoming wall of text.
I've been doing some more fabric searching on the net and I've found a few places that have a micro mesh in navy etc. Some differ slightly in the nylon/spandex ratio and I'm not really sure what the physical differences are between them. Either way, I bought a couple of meters of a 'Sheer Stretch Navy Blue Micro Mesh' (82% Nylon 18% spandex) from an Australian website called Glitter and Dance, not cheap at $18 a meter + shipping, but I really need a physical example of this stuff to compare with. (I almost bought a micro mesh from another website in America but they wanted $50 for the shipping!) The colour seems a bit...BLUE compared to some of the other navy colours I've come across which are a more desaturated, dark grey-ish navy, might just be the photograph, who knows.

Another thing I've been wondering is how sheer the material really is. We have a bunch of old clothes in the garage and I managed to find some black stockings (opaque unless stretched) and just some non-stretch, see-through, mesh fabric attached to a skirt. I modeled them over a skull so you can see.

Sitting on top.

Stretched stocking over skull.

The difference? Under the sheer fabric you see everything, every crevice, and it's not even 'stretched', just sitting ontop. The stockings on the other hand only reveal whats pressed against the fabric and not much else, which I believe is the look we're trying to achieve. I have a feeling the sheer stretch mesh might be too transparent showing the outline of all the muscles attached to the under bodysuit regardless of the lighting.

Nice, thanks for sharing these photos!

Incoming wall of text.
I've been doing some more fabric searching on the net and I've found a few places that have a micro mesh in navy etc. Some differ slightly in the nylon/spandex ratio and I'm not really sure what the physical differences are between them. Either way, I bought a couple of meters of a 'Sheer Stretch Navy Blue Micro Mesh' (82% Nylon 18% spandex) from an Australian website called Glitter and Dance, not cheap at $18 a meter + shipping, but I really need a physical example of this stuff to compare with. (I almost bought a micro mesh from another website in America but they wanted $50 for the shipping!) The colour seems a bit...BLUE compared to some of the other navy colours I've come across which are a more desaturated, dark grey-ish navy, might just be the photograph, who knows.

Another thing I've been wondering is how sheer the material really is. We have a bunch of old clothes in the garage and I managed to find some black stockings (opaque unless stretched) and just some non-stretch, see-through, mesh fabric attached to a skirt. I modeled them over a skull so you can see.

Sitting on top.

Stretched stocking over skull.[img]

The difference? Under the sheer fabric you see everything, every crevice, and it's not even 'stretched', just sitting ontop. The stockings on the other hand only reveal whats pressed against the fabric and not much else, which I believe is the look we're trying to achieve. I have a feeling the sheer stretch mesh might be too transparent showing the outline of all the muscles attached to the under bodysuit regardless of the lighting.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and nice demonstration. The non-stretch sheer mesh in the first picture is very transparent, to the point where it creates no shadows against the fabric in the recessed areas. The stretched stocking is closer to the look of the material of the screen used suits, like I said on the first page, the translucency of the fabric wasn't immediately apparent until I saw the way the reflective surface shifted in the light from different angles and I moved in close, and the fabric was "more like pantyhose than UnderArmor." Up close it's discernible that the fabric is quite translucent and thin, but from a few feet back the density of the chainmail pattern makes the material seem more substantial than it is.

I don't have a skull handy, but here are some photos using a sword hilt and a sample of black Glissnet that I picked up from the fabric store. It still seems the closest to the in-person appearance of the fabric on the film suits out of all the samples I've tested.
When relaxed, the Glissnet doesn't immediately appear translucent, only when it's stretched taut or held up to the light. If you blindfold yourself with a piece of it, you can see well enough to count how many fingers a friend is holding up, but not well enough to read small text on a computer screen, like this post on the RPF. It has a very tight close weave like the fabric on the screen-used suits.

Sword:
[URL=http://s100.photobucket.com/user/Lunaman1/media/Man%20of%20Steel%20Fabric/20131208_233727_zpse4ff5211.jpg.html][IMG]http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m7/Lunaman1/Man%20of%20Steel%20Fabric/20131208_233727_zpse4ff5211.jpg[/URL]
Glissnet draped, relaxed:

Glissnet stretched taught, shows the steel on the highest areas, creates shadows in areas that are concave:

The highlights and lowlights shift in the light as the angle of observation changes:

For comparison, here's a sheer blue stretch mesh with a much more open weave. Easily translucent when draped, relaxed:

Fully transparent when stretched.

Thanks for the examples, the weave/translucency does look very close to this image:

When my fabric arrives I'll put it over the skull again and see how it compares. Glissnet and Micro mesh look like the same thing, and I'm pretty darn certain it's what they've used, its just about finding the right colour.

In his image you can see the guy putting his hand through the sleeve, and his fingertips are visible showing its translucency aswell:

And for those who havn't already seen it. They used the same process for spiderman with the muscle undersuit. They've used a sheer black mesh to attach the parts to, I wonder if they went the same route with Superman.

6350628615_9115462939_b.jpg

Last edited:
Received the fabric today, here are some photos:

The fabric looks bluer than it actually is, the last photo is probably the better representation of color.
OKAY so.. the 'weave' is looser than Glissnet and the screen-used fabric. When looking at these fabrics on the net I found two different types. One was Hexagonal (my fabric) this pic shows it well:

POMNAV_1z.jpg

...and the other is more of a crosshatch (tiny squares). It's a tighter weave and less translucent. This is what you want.

I'm not sure if all micro mesh uses the same weave pattern. I may just order samples from now on. :lol
Here's a polish site selling navy Glissnet:
www.tanecznepasje.pl - Glissenette Navy Blue

Glissnet does come in shimmer and matte variations, something to keep in mind before ordering, might want to contact the seller if it isn't listed as one or the other.

Received the fabric today, here are some photos:

The fabric looks bluer than it actually is, the last photo is probably the better representation of color.
OKAY so.. the 'weave' is looser than Glissnet and the screen-used fabric. When looking at these fabrics on the net I found two different types. One was Hexagonal (my fabric) this pic shows it well:

...and the other is more of a crosshatch (tiny squares). It's a tighter weave and less translucent. This is what you want.

I'm not sure if all micro mesh uses the same weave pattern. I may just order samples from now on. :lol
Here's a polish site selling navy Glissnet:
www.tanecznepasje.pl - Glissenette Navy Blue

Glissnet does come in shimmer and matte variations, something to keep in mind before ordering, might want to contact the seller if it isn't listed as one or the other.

Thanks for posting all of these great example pictures in these last few posts. I agree with your assessment, but on the plus side that color is top-notch!

I guess the tuff part for me has been the chainmail texturing. I do think this is a mesh like you guys have found but with the metallic silver lining to it underneath. So how to do up the texture now that should be interesting.

"You can save them, You can save all of them."

Haven't made any progress on the fabric, I sent that polish site an email but they haven't responded, I guess they don't speak English.
I did want to ask peoples opinions on Faora's armor though. I'll be starting her in a couple of weeks or so with a lifecast of a friend. I have been searching all over for any information regarding her costume and haven't found a thing!
I've been looking at as many images as I can find and have noticed a few things, such as the lacing holding the back and front chest pieces together, boot covers, and the breather she gives Lois on the Black Zero is identical to the one she wears, just with added chest armor.

(Back piece removed in this scene)

I'm trying to figure out what they cast it in. It's flexible, at least the breather thing is (wouldn't be surprised if the whole costume was though, she has to perform stunts/fight scenes wearing the thing). Either a flexible urethane resin or a flexible foam like FlexFoam-iT I assume. Maybe even a combination of both, that collar seems fairly thick, hard to imagine it being all resin.
Any ideas?

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I don't have any more Superman news/updates yet. :p

Haven't made any progress on the fabric, I sent that polish site an email but they haven't responded, I guess they don't speak English.
I did want to ask peoples opinions on Faora's armor though. I'll be starting her in a couple of weeks or so with a lifecast of a friend. I have been searching all over for any information regarding her costume and haven't found a thing!
I'm trying to figure out what they cast it in. It's flexible, at least the breather thing is (wouldn't be surprised if the whole costume was though, she has to perform stunts/fight scenes wearing the thing). Either a flexible urethane resin or a flexible foam like FlexFoam-iT I assume. Maybe even a combination of both, that collar seems fairly thick, hard to imagine it being all resin.
Any ideas?

Sorry for going a bit off topic but I don't have any more Superman news/updates yet. :p

Oh, I went back and looked at the suits again recently and they only have her other armor set on display (from the earliest scenes on krypton). Her cloak was actually a thin leather or very convincing faux-leather, several pieces sewn together in a patchwork/jigsaw layout. Some of the more vertical elements, like the "spinelike" details were cast in foam rubber for flexibility, while the bigger main pieces looked to be hard fiberglass.
I would imagine the materials would be similar on her earth armor: foam latex for the details that lie closest to the bodysuit and follow the longer lines, rigid fiberglass or plastic for the outermost armor plates.

Oh, I went back and looked at the suits again recently and they only have her other armor set on display (from the earliest scenes on krypton). Her cloak was actually a thin leather or very convincing faux-leather, several pieces sewn together in a patchwork/jigsaw layout. Some of the more vertical elements, like the "spinelike" details were cast in foam rubber for flexibility, while the bigger main pieces looked to be hard fiberglass.
I would imagine the materials would be similar on her earth armor: foam latex for the details that lie closest to the bodysuit and follow the longer lines, rigid fiberglass or plastic for the outermost armor plates.

I was curious about the cape also and suspected leather. Thanks for the confirmation!
Also thought the same way for the hard/soft parts. I'd probably do the shoulder pauldrons in hard or semi-rigid resin, along with the breast plate and maybe thigh armor. Gauntlets could go either way. The rest flexible. I have this set image during the Smallville fight where Antje is sort of twisting and you can tell the back piece is flexible.

On a side note, that breather looks like a pain to mould. I assume it's done in sections..

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back