Man of Steel Fabric update--Warner Bros Studio Museum visit.

View attachment 256344View attachment 256345View attachment 256346View attachment 256347hi lunaman, i have bought the blue royal dark glissnet but i think it is too much shiny..what do you think ? here some pics of the fabric and one of the fabric stretched on a old latex batman 89 torso Painted metal... with the great pannaus emblem

Thanks for sharing the photos. I don't think the shininess is inappropriate once it's stretched taught, though the color does seem a bit too rich and purply. Both of those concerns would be muted a bit once you apply the dark grey-blue/nearly black chainmail pattern over the top. You've done a great job demonstrating the way the fabric translucency shows the details of reflective musculature underneath.

The film suit's fabric layer is a navy blue, a little desaturated.
http://www.metro.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/MOS-08233C.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5498/9370060470_ec08fc0145_o.jpg

supermanmanofsteel.jpg

Last edited:
Happy to share. Yes, I should have expressly stated that the fabric on the Superman suit is blue, while I was only able to find a sample of the Glissnet in black. The most accurate way would be to get the dark blue fabric and screenprint or handpaint the chainmail onto it, and use that over a metallic bodysuit like the one RevolutionZ is building.
http://www.therpf.com/f24/man-steel-muscle-structure-suit-wip-193879/

A really good dye sub print and puffy job like Eldonnaty's work will look fantastic and be much more practical, but the film suit's effect is only really possible with a translucent fabric.

thanks Lunaman for all the great info, I have a question? you mentioned something about the puffy chainmail was also done with stencil what product would you paint over the stencil? a regular puff pain? or something else I don't know about

hope my question is not confusing
best
K

thanks Lunaman for all the great info, I have a question? you mentioned something about the puffy chainmail was also done with stencil what product would you paint over the stencil? a regular puff pain? or something else I don't know about

hope my question is not confusing
best
K
You would use dimensional fabric paint, like Tulip "Slick" brand paint. Dimensional fabric paint is informally called "puffy paint" or "puff paint" because certain types can puff out when steamed.

You would use dimensional fabric paint, like Tulip "Slick" brand paint. Dimensional fabric paint is informally called "puffy paint" or "puff paint" because certain types can puff out when steamed.

thank you for the info Lunaman :)
I'm planning on making my own pattern from Sonjou Muscle suite and trying to do my research to see how I can get it done as real as possiable pretty much just like everyone else here LOLLLL.

best
K

hi all, have someone bought glissnet fabric like me? i would like to se if there are glissnet more accurate than mine.. im not satisfied 100% because it is not the right blue, looks to shiny , and more like a woman fabric ... i would like to know if someone have news about the real fabric used in the movie... all the interview i have seen they call it "thin mesh" ...the problem is to find a matte navy glissnet...

maxxx8 - It may be a good idea to print the MoS pattern onto white matte glissenette fabric. This would get you the color you need and then you could use the dimensional paint over the chainlink pattern.

What I don't know is - who could print on this material, or how much it would cost.

Hmm there'd be no point in printing a MoS pattern over the glissnet as it kind of defeats the purpose of the pattern. The pattern is there in lieu of a muscle under suit. No point using glissnet without the silver muscles to show through. Although, one may be able to dye the glissnet the correct color.
I've been away from the forums for a while so I don't know if this has been disussed, but I bought the MoS blu ray + DVD combo and was surprised to see no mention of the suit in the special features. Was hoping for a more 'Iron Man-esque' behind the scenes showing the making of. I fast forwarded through the last half of it as I was in a rush (so maybe I missed something?), but I didn't see a darn thing related to the making of the new suit.

Lunaman: Does the glissnet material have a 'shimmer' to it? Or is it matte, with only the silver muscles providing the sheen?
For e.g.
teallxtl2.jpg

EDIT: If not, I think I may have found a suitable material..

Last edited:
Lunaman: Does the glissnet material have a 'shimmer' to it? Or is it matte, with only the silver muscles providing the sheen?
For e.g. http://www.tissufabrics.co.uk/fabri...eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/e/teallxtl2.jpg

EDIT: If not, I think I may have found a suitable material..
The glissnet I found at the fabric store had a slight satin shimmer. I went back and re-examined the screen-used suits last week, and the material on the Man of Steel suits is mostly matte with the silver muscles and chainmail providing the sheen, as far as I can tell, and it is a dark, slightly grayish blue. Glissnet was just as close to the material as I could find at the store in terms of weight, stretch, and transparency.
I'd be very interested to hear about your alternative material, if it is indeed mostly matte.

The glissnet I found at the fabric store had a slight satin shimmer. I went back and re-examined the screen-used suits last week, and the material on the Man of Steel suits is mostly matte with the silver muscles and chainmail providing the sheen, as far as I can tell, and it is a dark, slightly grayish blue. Glissnet was just as close to the material as I could find at the store in terms of weight, stretch, and transparency.
I'd be very interested to hear about your alternative material, if it is indeed mostly matte.

It's just an image I found of an expired ebay listing. The seller stills sells the material, but I've checked their store and can't find the "Midnight Blue" anymore, just regular navy, which is VERY dark, almost black. I'll have to send them a message to see if they still have it/can get it. Here's an image. Let me know if its close/worth pursuing:

EDIT: Ugh, it's so hard to pin down an actual color from all these photos, in some, like the one with the kid, it looks very blue, in others, like you said it looks more greyish blue, almost turqoisy:
Shock-Turquoise-Dark.gif

As in this image posted on the previous page.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/08/gepe8edy.jpg there you have it ppl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It's just an image I found of an expired ebay listing. The seller stills sells the material, but I've checked their store and can't find the "Midnight Navy" anymore, just regular navy, which is VERY dark, almost black. I'll have to send them a message to see if they still have it/can get it. Here's an image. Let me know if its close/worth pursuing:
[url]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q231/Giordanos/KGrHqJHJBFGnKB5FrBRuws5k15w60_35_zps56e2b8cb.jpg[/URL]
This "Midnight Navy" is the closest I've seen to the actual fabric color.

The following sunlit photo is one of the best at showing the way the suit looks in person. It's a shame it's mostly in shadow.

Last edited:
This "Midnight Blue" is the closest I've seen to the actual fabric color.

The following sunlit photo is one of the best at showing the way the suit looks in person. It's a shame it's mostly in shadow.

anyone else notice the chainmail on the chest in that pic is upside down? lol
also lunaman, have you got a good look at the boots on the suit?i have seen a few pics were it looks constructed the same way a the spider-man raimi boots were and another pic i saw had some strange piece on the heel which is hidden by the cape.. 886153_684836204874389_1714146722_o.jpg

anyone else notice the chainmail on the chest in that pic is upside down? lol
Hahah, yes, RevolutionZ pointed that out when he first sent me the picture. It's another clue confirming that the suits aren't printed with a color or muscle gradient, otherwise the upside-down pattern would never have made it to screen do to the muscle gradient not lining up when upside-down. The suit fabric is one color throughout the blue sections in every direction, and translucent to show the shine of the muscle suit beneath.

also lunaman, have you got a good look at the boots on the suit?i have seen a few pics were it looks constructed the same way a the spider-man raimi boots were and another pic i saw had some strange piece on the heel which is hidden by the cape.. View attachment 259549

The boots are built similarly to the Raimi Spider-man boots, there is an internal shoe structure that resembles the upper of a men's tuxedo loafer that is covered with a red spandex sock/boot (seams around the ankle and down both sides vertically) that is sewn to the blue suit fabric at the calf and the junction is covered with another of the raised pattern details glued down to represent the 'top' of the boot. The boot is covered with a glossy chainmail pattern that is dark grey/black, versus the chainmail on the suit that is a very dark blue/black. The sole is another appliance piece with a slight heel that (like the boot tops' border, wrist cuffs, belt, emblem, oblique and leg details) was modeled, 3D printed, and then cast in a flexible rubber and glued on.
manofsteel+superman+boots.jpg

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/fp/Henry+Cavill+Exclusive+Stars+Set+Man+Steel+vop9FyrugCAl.jpg

By the way there are some good photos of the display suit at this address that show the suit at various angles and in various lighting conditions, these are exactly the kind of photos I would have taken if I was allowed to take pictures during my visit. I believe this is the same suit and display that I have inspected in person. Should answer certain questions that I can't get across in words. Photo credit to Jasoninhollywood.
http://hollywoodmoviecostumesandpro...06/man-of-steel-superman-suit-on-display.html

In the image you shared there is an extra "booty" slipped over the normal boot that wraps around the whole front, sides, sole and back, and has some sort of reinforcing material on the heel without patterning. I suspect this was added for extra protection, durability or traction during a stunt sequence where the normal boots would be damaged.
This was not the normal state of the 'hero' shoes. For an easy example, there are reasonably clear shots of Henry's heels and feet featured in the last images of the trailer, and there are no such booties present.
Man of Steel - Official Trailer #2 [HD] - YouTube

Last edited:
Hmm there'd be no point in printing a MoS pattern over the glissnet as it kind of defeats the purpose of the pattern. The pattern is there in lieu of a muscle under suit. No point using glissnet without the silver muscles to show through. Although, one may be able to dye the glissnet the correct color.

I'm really new to this, so I don't know the best way , but I was seeing how others dye-print their patterns over white lycra and then use dimensional paint to make it stand out (for example the black lines and honeycomb pattern on spider-man or the chainmail on MoS). I don't think dying would affect it's transparent properties since it's a thin see-thru material.

It sounds like the approach people are looking at here is to find the same color fabric and then perhaps add the chainmail texture after without having anything printed to base it on? If so what is the best way to do something like that? Does it end up being faster than printing it and hand painting it with dimensional paint?

I'm really new to this, so I don't know the best way , but I was seeing how others dye-print their patterns over white lycra and then use dimensional paint to make it stand out (for example the black lines and honeycomb pattern on spider-man or the chainmail on MoS). I don't think dying would affect it's transparent properties since it's a thin see-thru material.

It sounds like the approach people are looking at here is to find the same color fabric and then perhaps add the chainmail texture after without having anything printed to base it on? If so what is the best way to do something like that? Does it end up being faster than printing it and hand painting it with dimensional paint?

Ah, well if you want to do it by hand with the puffy paint I guess you could either use a stencil, or like you said, print the chainmail pattern on the fabric and go over it by hand. If you wanted to do it more professionally you would get the raised pattern screen printed with a high density ink, although I have no idea what the cost would be.

Photos of the suit taken by Jasoninhollywood. Showing the suit from different angles and how the appearance changes with different lighting and levels of flash.

man+of+steel+superman+costume.jpg

henry+cavill+superman+costume.jpg

superman+suit+manofsteel.jpg

manofsteel+superman+suit.jpg

man+of+steel+superman+costume.jpg

manofsteel+superman+symbol.jpg

manofsteel+superman+costume.jpg

manofsteel+superman+suit.jpg

manofsteel+superman+suit+detail.jpg

manofsteel+superman+suit+cuff.jpg

man+steel+superman+suit+detail.jpg

man+steel+superman+costume+detail.jpg

manofsteel+superman+boots.jpg

superman+suit+man+steel.jpg

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back