What is your ideal display mannequin?

I been thinking about that and am considering doing something with the locking piece from the mannequin hand and allthread and swivel joints so that I can tighten them in the pose I like. More to come on that it's a winter plan.

Definitely keep us informed because that would be AWESOME!!!

Art (good to read you again, it's been a while for me),
I tend to like the posable ones. It's been a while I haven't purchased one, but in the past I bought 4 or 5, and I still have them.
I like to try and have some sort of pose - for little that it may be - but at least some "grabbing hands", to try and strike a pose.
Not sure I succeeded with what I have but I still will post them below. I love displaying my stuff. My collection is really wide now, most of my stuff sits in closets (got two rooms full of props... including firearms I have to say, that I buy and bought almost exclusively based on the movies I like/liked and that serve to complete sets of props/costumes I like).

troopmix1 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Stormtrooper by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Band of Brothers/Saving Private Ryan mix (that is, mixed props)

(earlier non posable)

P1232965 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

And then posable

bobdouble17uv by SoloDallas, on Flickr

bobdouble20fz by SoloDallas, on Flickr

G93R6799 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

and non posable bust

G93R6797 by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Last but not least (LOL), my live mannequin that it's called "wife" with a real sterling blaster. Blaster got some mods along the way to make it more screen accurate... wife pretty much stayed without any mods ;)

Wife with Blaster by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Back to you,

Fil

Art,
I think the one you found is quite near perfect for the price. I can say, for me, its nearly my exact measurements.(I'm just not that toned, ahha) So Im thinking about getting one for my Sam Flynn UD suit. I like the fact that it has no face but a properly shaped head and the white does tend to lean to a museum-look. After all, displaying the costume should focus on the costume itself and not a creepy glass eyed stare coming at you while you try to inspect a costume. just my $.02
I'm going to look into getting one but I first have to find a place where it makes sense to have a mannequin since the one spot I had with my Vader is now taken up by a 4-foot tall base stand with my efx X-wing on top.

That mannequin looks great!

When I first got my Stormtrooper armor wanted a nice mannequin for it. Not to be found in my country, except for effeminate looking, no separate fingers, weird looking heads, made of plastic fashion mannequins. The best I could find was on Morplan, a flexible mannequin like the ones seen her: Morplan Product: Flexible Mannequins They were on sale back then for half the price they are having now, and they all come with heads though some show to be headless. About a year ago they again had a great sale.

The only problem as I see it is that pole sticking from behind, which would be ok for costumes with capes like Vader, Royal Guard, Emperor and Tusken, is a bit more visible than a direct foot peg/stand. Though the foot peg will ruin a pair of boots as well, this one is slipped between 2 parts of the back armor easily. The stand is made of a very heavy and solid metal piece. The mannequin itself is quite heavy (and pretty sturdy too) and thus needs that supporting pole especially since it is in a circulated room. The head rotates and also the arms rotate at the shoulder. The arms at elbow and wrist are bendy, so you can get various poses with them. Comes with bendy fingers too.

Here is my Stormie armor on this mannequin and right now the right arm is even more bent up:

collectiondisplay072.jpg

collectiondisplay45.jpg

I found these...looks like the shoulder and elbows move. Maybe a little padding on the arms, also looks to be split fingers.
Roxy Display
Roxy Display
I might try one of these.
I have to mannequins, both are headless encase I wanted to add a bust or head. One is only a torso...I had an Indy costume on it...you couldn't tell it had no legs...the pants hung straight (of course there was a rod running up from the base to the thigh) I just put the boots up the pant cuffs...no one ever knew it was legless.

What I am looking for is a big mannequin...6'3 +. And a hefty size...plan on a Jason Vorhees or Leatherface display one day. Any options?
mike

Last edited:
Just want to give an update to this... I briefly mentioned it earlier. I have now picked up the GM27E mannequin. This is more of a "my size" mannequin where the GM23E is a bit more of an imposing size. The 27E works great for mannequins that are wearing costumes specifically made for me, while the 23E works better to give that menacing look to a display. Love these both!

mannequins.jpg

Love this now Id cut the elbows add a type of hinge so I can pose it and add wooden possible hand..

So I'm pretty close to pulling the trigger on the GM23E for my TDK display but wanted to get some insight on the following:
-Is there somewhere that's cheaper than Only Mannequins?
-How many fingers in the one hand are combined together? Do you recommend taking a saw to split them or just removing the hand and stuffing the costume gloves instead? Not sure how difficult it is the split the fingers.
-Is there a black version of this or a black abstract mannequin that's comparable? I'd rather not have to paint the GM23E if possible. I was looking at the ML5 and wasn't sure if that was good substitute and whether its hands allow for gloves, anyone have experience with this model?
http://onlymannequins.com/Pages/Male-Mannequin-Fiberglass-Black.php

Yep, sometimes aits very hard...

I wanted to display my Legolas costume with a mannequin, but in some kind of "action" position, when he's shooting an arrow... Impossible!

I wonder why knowone makes polystyrol mannequins, where you can saw off the arms, legs, hand, whatever, and use a wire to put them back into a position you could need...

I know there are torsos and heads from polystyrol, but very hard to get arms and legs...

I am a huge mannequin advocate...rather than hang it in the wardrobe...or stick it in plastic totes like I know some people do!

My favourite mannequins over the years have come from NIKE. Basically I understand they are very expensive to buy and pretty much only from out of business retail stores. Check craigslist...they come up there from time to time.

Here is an example.

IMG_5933.JPG

My female mannequins came out of a company going out of business originally owned by a mall store. I cant remember the name of them but I managed to get 12. I dont usually pay more than $125 for a mannequin.

I'm half replying to this thread so I can subscribe to it, but I'm also in the market for a mannequin I can pose/display.

Art is this the one you said you've used before? Female Jersey covered Flexible mannequin

It's 69" tall and I'm 70" tall, so that's close. I would just go with a male form but a couple of my costumes attempt to show off curves...

Wondering if anyone has an opinion on this guy? I'm not looking for a static costume display per se- I've had Howard's 89' Batman bust painted for years now and slowly pieced together an 89' costume. I've wanted a realistic Bats in my theater room for some time now! I thought this might be a nice, dynamic pose. Thinking I'd have to possibly saw off the hands and make some posable wire armatures for gloves. I'd probably bulk up a leaner mannequin anyway, so this physique looked appealing.

New Male Fiberglass Muscle Man Mannequin HM Zeroone Urban Display Pants Sweaters | eBay

Ah yes, finding that perfect manny. I'm sure many of us on the RPF would pay big bucks for a fully adjustable manny, but they just don't exist.

I found these...looks like the shoulder and elbows move. Maybe a little padding on the arms, also looks to be split fingers.
Roxy Display
Roxy Display
I might try one of these.

howlingwind13...I've tried both this style for my Fett costume.

The first manny's arms are very flimsy. They'd also have to be bulked out a bit for most costumes. It is nice that they have that adjustable shoulder joint (a bid deal) but it's so flimsy that it won't hold a pose. The hands are terrible. You'd think that having each finger adjustable would be nice, and it is in theory, but the palm of the hand is super narrow so forget trying to get gloves on this hand. Terrible IMHO

The second link you shared was what came with my Fett when I bought him from a RPF member. It can actually be made to look pretty good. Since the manny is fiberglass it has a good body shape. Having the elbows jointed is very nice too, and they can be tightened to hold a pose pretty well. The BIG downfall to this manny is that shoulder joint. This means that you can't move the elbow AWAY from the torso at all. If you have a figure (Fett, Stormtrooper, etc) that holds a gun this is a BIG deal breaker.

This is what I used for my Joker display.

Flexible Mannequin - Male Athletic Flexible Mannequins - Poseable Flexible Mannequins

It's expensive, but does a lot of things right. The head can come off, giving you a great "neck" to add your own custom resin or silicone bust. The hands are great. Rigid wire inside the foam, very bendable and they stay put. Not quite perfect, but very close and the best I've found. The arms, legs and even torso is all bendable. I used this manny with a custom stand that was zip-tied to the manny itself allowing the Joker to totally stand on his own, so it was very sturdy. I thought about using this for Fett but I don't think there is any way you'd get this guy to hold a heavy weapon, that's his downfall (pun). The other great thing about an all foam manny is that you can take a knife to him and "skinny him up" as needed. This manny comes pretty muscular, so I had to hack away to get that Heath Ledger physique.

Best pics are here, post #26...

http://www.therpf.com/f9/1-1-silicone-ledger-dk-joker-new-pics-143816/index2.html

You can see from these pics that you can get some pretty accurate hand poses, the best I've seen really. I was also able to get hunch him over a bit to get that "Joker Hunch" kinda look going. The arms where easily adjusted after all the clothing was put on. Every time I'd walk by him it seems like I'd adjust him a bit. It's maddening!

hope that helps, keep the conversations going on manny's! :thumbsup

Last edited:
Where would be the cheapest place to get a GM23E . Or a better one to dress a LEATHERFACE. I would like to make it hold the chainsaw but the chainsaw is super super heavy, I need a solution for the hands too. Thank you

Attachments

• perfect-mannequin-head-01.jpg
    perfect-mannequin-head-01.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 706
  • perfect-mannequin-head-02.jpg
    perfect-mannequin-head-02.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 758
  • perfect-mannequin-head-03.jpg
    perfect-mannequin-head-03.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 689

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back