Jack Harkness

Risu

Master Member
I don't want to butt in on other people's threads, so I'm going to start my own. Not specific to any one episode or series, just Jack Harkness, best I can pull together today considering item availability. I actually put the costume together once before for a con, just threw it together. The shirt was passable, pants a size too small, belt was just a belt, suspenders were too wide and had brass hardware, the rubber CO vortex manipulator, a holster I made, a friend's Denix Mk IV, and the crappiest $20 boots ever from some place in downtown LA. The only part I'm keeping is the holster.

A few weeks ago just because it was such a good deal, I grabbed a Denix Webley Mk IV another member was letting go cheap in the junkyard because it was damaged. A little loc-tite made it mostly A-OK. Tonight I picked up the Wolverine Saturn 6" boots he wore in Miracle Day. I would have preferred the originals, but the only pair of those to surface in the last 3 years are the men's 5.5's that have been on ebay for about a decade. Those would probably work great if anybody's got a small child that wants to dress up.

My next step is to buy the shirt from iTailor that Daze ordered in his thread. From the pictures, I'm pretty sure that once I get it I'll have to remove the pockets, reshape the flap, and stitch them back on a few inches higher. Sometime this week I'm going to stop by my local Costco and grab a pair of these:

Kirkland Signature? Men?s Wool Gabardine Pleated Pant - Solid Charcoal

Or these:

Kirkland Signature? Men?s Wool Gabardine Pleated Pant - Solid Gray

Whichever looks better in person. From what I can tell they're pretty much spot on in the details. They might even have the tab closure on the waistband.

In a week or two I'll be passing through LA and I can stop at a place called Keylin, which has horrible hours and pricing but they stock more hardware than any other store on the planet. I can grab his belt buckle from the non-Belstaff belt and put it on the one I've already got. I found a pair of suspenders online for about $22 shipped that I'm hoping are as accurate as they look, too. And last, I'll finally finish up my vortex manipulator strap I've been planning for years. It's about time, really.

I don't have any plans to get the coat, it would cost way too much and take way too long to make, and I'm not a fan of the style anyway. Plus it's too hot here to ever wear it. Same goes for the cuff links, if I'm going sans coat there's no reason to roll the sleeves down, and it looks super awkward bunched up around the VM anyway. Pictures will come as this comes together.

I picked up the pants on my lunch break today. They're pretty darn accurate to the originals. I went with the medium grey, but the charcoal would be perfect Miracle Day pants if you're going for that look. I'll post some pictures tonight.

tagged for the future. Curious to see the VM. I have that same webley and i agree its cheap. I bought mine new and it was already falling apart. luckily i got it for 20 bucks

I wouldn't say the Webley is cheap, it is what it is, a pewter cast of a gun. It's heavy, real metal, and it looks completely legit from 4 feet away. The only problem is that the break top tends to let itself go every few trigger pulls if you break the glue on the latch. So you can either have a static gun that you can't open up, or you can deal with it popping open if you fire it too much. I just tightened the screw down with some loc-tite and now I have to pull the trigger a lot more for it to pop open. Still not perfect, but it's not like I'll be pulling the trigger at a con anyway.

So here's what I've got so far.

The watch is just the one I wear every day, but the case and band are really close to the series 2 watch. If the face was red and had numbers it would be nearly perfect. Gun, holster, and belt are there to stay, until I get around to trying to make a replica of the Belstaff belt. The belt buckle is correct for his other belt, I just need to replace it because it's sanded down to the brass. Long story, stupid mistake. Since there's no way I could get the iTailor shirt in time for the con I'm getting this ready for, I'm just going to stick with the dark blue shirt for now, I think I like the way it looks over all a little bit more actually. I'm ordering these suspenders tonight to replace the ones I have on:

1.25 Inch Wide Button-on Suspenders | SuspenderStore

The Costco pants in medium grey, a white under shirt, and the costume is nearly done. My VM is currently on loan to a friend while he draws it up in solidworks, but once I get it back I'm going to get right to work on the strap.

I got my new suspenders in the mail today. They're a little cheap, I might upgrade some day, but visually they're pretty good. I also ordered the Plantronics headset for the bluetooth and I ordered all the LEDs for that and the VM the other day. Tonight I'm going to put suspender buttons on my pants, tweak the belt a little bit, and possibly start making the VM strap.

I wanna see how the plantronics headset goes...I got a jabra bt250 on the way...might pic up a plantronics to play with too...made a passable VM this weekend...checkout my thread lemme know what you think so far...

It's well made, sort of Miracle Day style. The problem is that most people seem to make them from tooling leather, and the original isn't technically "leather work", it's just a sewn garment. I'll be starting on mine a little later in the week, but I'm still a little nervous that my machine won't handle the leather well. Won't know until I try.

I ended up exchanging the pants for a size up. Way more comfortable, just a little sad that I'm getting fatter as I get older. Still waiting on the boots, but it makes work a little bit more fun when you're always expecting mail when you get in in the morning.

Oh, and I finally forced myself to get through "Cyberwoman" and watched the 5th episode. You're right, it's got plain cuffs, but it's not a USAF shirt. Mostly because the pocket flaps are still wrong, and if they custom made all his other shirts I don't see why they would modify a USAF shirt instead of just making a new one. Also the fabric looks like cotton to me, but I ordered one on ebay and I'll reserve judgement on that until I have it in hand. If it's decent I'll order a second one for new pocket flaps.

BUT...Like I said its an RAF British Royal Air Force Shirt...which has the angled flaps...and theyre a cotton poly blend.

I agree with the its not tooling leather...which I kinda told my buddy that who works at tandy...the top might be to hold the shape though...there needs to be some better pics of it...and in miricle day he wears it backwards and its only got 2 buttons as apposed to the Dr. Who/Torchwood Version has 4....triple checked last night while watching Ep 7

The guy who made it for Miracle Day posted in another thread. No offense to the guy, but it's just wrong. The original is lambskin with a piece of formed calf skin in the cover. Keep watching this build over the next couple of weeks and you'll see. There are some decent pictures out there, but there are still gaps that had to be filled in.

As for the shirt, RAF shirts have darker buttons and many of them seem to have no pleat on the pockets. As for the fiber content, what makes you think it's not a cotton shirt?

You realize Miricle day and the VM in Dr Who and Torchwood are different right? The MD has two snaps not four...it just flaps over. They look similar but not the same. The top is backwards....with the bulge on the outside instead of facing him. Id love a link to the thread your referring to. Any leads on the glove snaps in brass?

I say that because the material looks the same as the Blues shirt I wear...its not 100% cotton is all...I mean its possible it is though.

Got the buttons sewn into the pants and the suspenders shortened to the correct length. I also cut out and sewed/glued the strap part of the VM assembly, except for the top stitch. As I had feared, I'm going to need either a teflon foot or a walking foot to pull this one off. Not sure if I can get one of those in time, but I'm going to try. Worst case, a piece of scotch tape on the presser foot sort of works as a teflon foot.

OK, now that we're on the same page, (sorta) I want more pics ;)

Im about to order some suspenders from that site you referred to today or tomorrow.

Word of warning, the quality wasn't great. They were a bit damaged. I'm going to end up making my own to make them perfect eventually, so because of my time frame I'm not bothered, but if you're playing for keeps it might be an issue.

Ahhh gotcha...well theyre on the way now just got an email from em...will update my thread with how I like em and such...found brass glove snaps on etsy from a guy in china...which was about the only place to get em...2 weeks ish it says...bout the same amount of time for the shapeways piece...going to work the MK1 VM a little more in the meantime. Thanks for your info...

I got my sigma snaps either on eBay or etsy.

The Wolverine Saturn boots showed up today and I like them a lot more than i expected. I'll take a new picture tonight.

Would have put these up last night, but I guess the forum is down every night now.

The boots are good. Look the part and reasonably comfortable.

And the stitching on this isn't great so far because of the presser foot. A new one is on the way, hoping it will get here soon.

They looks good...been searching for size 11 of the CATs my Doc matrins might be closer then the gunnisons though...

Getting started on the VM then huh...more pics please....

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back