Jack Harkness

Darts? And look forward to seeing what you got...I havent thought much on what to make the Im assuming camera and mic from yet...going to goto a few stores this weekend or next and make something Id Like to make it with the Blue LED if I do do it.

Camera and mic? Not sure I follow. If it were real it would have a microphone and an earbud, but the prop was just an ear plug and an LED, which is what mine has. Different ear plug, though, as it will require a little extra help to support the weight. I'm making mine out of 100% aluminum construction (not including the ear loop). Because I'm in a hurry, the first one will have the main box section built out of metal clad plastic, but for the final draft and the subsequent run, that piece will be CNC machined.

Anyway, still nothing to show. I got a tiny bit done, but blew most of the night rigging up LEDs in my arc reactor. That project is a giant sinkhole of wasted energy. Hopefully it pays off. With a little luck I'll have enough of it put together to take a picture by the end of the night tomorrow.

As for the rest of the costume, my girlfriend is going to be doing the stitching on the belt at work tomorrow to make it a little closer to the Belstaff belt, and on Friday I'll go up to LA to get the closest buckle I can find, as well as a new prong for my VM buckle. The shirt's pocket flaps are detached and will be reshaped on the weekend.

Oh, and darts are small seams on either side of the back that take it in at the waist. You can see them in the first episode when Jack has his coat off in the hub. The USAF shirt doesn't really need them as it already fits really well, but I'll go ahead and do some 1/4" darts just to have them. I'll take pictures.

Yeh, the top cylinder looked to me like they meant it to be a camera...u know when hes walking around and torchwood can see what he see's at the Bar? Im pretty sure its from the top thing on the bluetooth....but most of the time its to the side not to the front....I think Ive seen it where its facing forward.

The section at the top definitely rotates, but it looks nothing like a camera. In which episode does he use it that way?

early on theyre in a club and its about the only thing I could figure that would be a camera...I'll go back and look for it...maybe ep1 even....2 he had the Jabra if I recal...Im really just speculating since its there and its not a mic nor a speaker what else would it be there for?

All I managed to do with the earpiece tongiht was fail. No progress. Actually the opposite of progress because I broke what I got done on Monday. Looking like it won't be accompanying me to the con next week, but I might get really lucky. I finally finished the arc reactor (or at least the part I can do at work), so it's all earpiece from here on out. I have 3 nights to finish it. So about 6 hours. On the weekend I'll work on the VM strap, and my trip up to LA has been pushed back to Monday morning.

OK, so finally got a good amount done. Just have to do a couple things to the center tube (cut the two ends, bevel and slot the center piece) and build up the box that connects the two sections.

20130628_225309_zps997e6b09.jpg

Getting pretty excited now, especially seeing how great the metal looks in pictures.

Hey Risu,

Since you seem pretty knowledge I was going to ask for the itailor shirt what options must be selected. Also whats the best way to get correct measurements for a fitted shirt. thanks!

Well with the info we've dredged up in this thread and in Fett's, I'd say don't get the iTailor shirt at all. Maybe if you're going for the light/seafoam shirt, but that's not the one with the breast pockets, just French cuffs. The USAF shirt is 95% accurate to the military style shirt he wears.

If you haven't taken your measurements before, the best way is to go to a local seamstress and have her do it for you. And pay attention so you can do it yourself later if you plan on gaining or losing weight.

OK, quick update as time is short to finish everything. I nearly finished the earpiece tonight. I just have to replace the temporary pepakura box with the metal wrapped plastic sheet box and install the LED tomorrow.

1052355_10151473750796643_1015649837_o_zps9237e409.jpg

This thing was scratch built from the Plantronics headset and various hardware and aluminum tubing. I won't know exactly how heavy it is on my ear until I finish making it tomorrow, so I've got my fingers crossed it works.

My new presser foot works perfectly. IF I can finish my Trek '09 pants early enough, I'll sew up the VM strap, and likely make a few mistakes on the first one because I'm in such a hurry. But the kip hide is formed, the pattern for everything but the lid is drawn up, and the accurate leather and snaps are ready to go.

Well I've finally finished it. Left work at 1:30 AM.

DSC03406_zps88f8057d.jpg

It's a little heavy, but it stays in place just fine. I'll be wearing this one on Saturday I think, so I'll let you guys know after wearing it for a day if it got painful. Now that I'm home I'm preparing dinner/breakfast, drinking a Monster, taking a Zicam, and getting to work on an Etsy order, my Trek pants, and the VM strap. The only one I'm sure I'll finish is the Etsy order, although I can actually finish the Trek pants even faster once I get to the con, my girlfriend and I can probably sew them up in an hour working together. So the VM might take priority somewhere in the 8 AM region once the pants pieces are portable and the gun belt is done. Very unlikely I'll post again until after the con, so see you all in a week.

Ebay, other surplus stores on the internets are good, phone a friend, I would look for a surplus store or goodwill near an Air Force base to tell you the truth you can get them at goodwill easy. I have some old ones with ring around the collar you probably dont want...from basic training stains wont come out :/

Ebay is the way to go for the RAF shirt. I'll hopefully get a picture or two up soon. My girlfriend's friend the photographer took some great shots of us in other costumes, but kind of copped out on the Torchwood stuff.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back