Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

i like rolling my stuff on concrete, when i want to weather something like a flight suit, or boots, or grips, i roll around on the cement around our in ground pool. the cement has anti slip grooves in it, which was simply done by using a floor broom when the cement was wet and brushed the cement to leave grooves in it. those grooves are a great weathering tool, i use it all the time. my neighbor my think I'm trying to release built up tension or something, always throwing stuff on the cement lol

Thanks for the weathering info guys.:thumbsup

What kind of paint are you using, though? Water-based acrylics, Rattle cans? I've never had to paint aluminum.

Then are you sealing it to 'set' the weathering?

I used aluminum black. It's not going to give you the exact look, but then again I was not going for that. The AB gave a more realistic weathered/scored look instead of a... well.. chipped paint look. Not sure why a Jedi would paint a hilt, so I went idealized.

View attachment 472377View attachment 472378View attachment 472379View attachment 472380

Here are a couple comparison shots

So, here's how I developed this model.
I took my 3d model of the stunt saber (which was made from dimensions of an original ANH metal stunt casting) and I skimmed off about a quarter of a millimeter off the bottom, with the idea that what most likely happened was that they took the stunt casting and cleaned it up on a lathe. I then removed a little bit from the grip ridges to even them out a bit, with the idea that in the clean up, they most likely would have taken a standard size lathe tool and taken a bit off the grip ridges to remove the seam and as a result made the grips look a little more even. But I kept the constraints of the cleanup within the bounds of the original casting.

Given that Brandon thinks the pommel and emitter were machined from new stock, I drew up new models based off of the stunt saber, but with a bit more symmetry to them, trying to match the pictures as closely as I could.

Let me know what you guys think.

I sent my model off to my shop for a quote. I asked them to give me their price for a run of 30. Right now, I think I'm only going to do the emitter body and pommel. People who are interested can track down their own clamps and levers. I''m sure someone will do a run of circuit boards soon and the knobs are available from transcriptors.

These will be kits that will require some finishing work do be done by any builder. When I get some numbers back from my shop, I'll post an interest thread.

Dan

Yes. The saber will be in 3 pieces: emitter, body, and pommel. I'm leaving off the holes above the clamp, because I cant tell it they're there or not and I'm leaving off the hole for the conical knob, in case someone wants to make a shared stunt prop, it's easier for people to drill the hole themselves then undrill the hole ;) .

But it looks like that. I mean, maybe it has a small groove around the nipple so the black paint stays in there? Do I explain?

Ok thanks Dan! I'm not going to argue with the owner. He's spent more time with it than I have. :lol

I just thought there was a set screw in the side of the emitter head that holds the nipple in place in addition to the set screws in the nipple that hold the rod in place. I see the groove around the base of the nipple, so I thought I would ask.

Too many nipples screws and rods in that post. Sorry.

Too many nipples screws and rods in that post. Sorry.
:lol

On the pictures that Brandon posted, there doesn't appear to be "a set screw in the side of the emitter head" as on the shared stunt. Although perhapse its covered by the weathering.
The groove had me thinking two pieces too. But Brandon says no and by this point I've kinda given up on figuring out what would have made sense to the builders. Nothing about this prop makes sense.

Dan

So, are you going to add a groove around the nipple to let the weathering make the same effect as the one seen in the pictures?

Already there
attachment.php

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back