Luke ROTJ V2 lightsaber

This is what I think:

I think when they built the hilt, the first step was that they painted the body black and did not mask off the neck. In order to replicate the brass neck, they then painted a brass layer directly over the black in the appropriate sections (and maybe a little added details like a little black smeared over it to dull it down). Then over the years, the paint chipped and wore away. In some places, the paint wore to the metal and in some, it wore down to the black.

I agree that it does notlook like the saber ever had any paint added to it after the first application.

My two cents: I think that the first and middle picture is of the shared stunt that was later modified with the copper neck. Seeing as both the V2 and shared stunt came from the same thing, it's logical to assume that they looked almost the same at one point. They might've even both been used for the same things before the motors were removed and their uses deviated later for the sequels.

We know the the V2 details but there's clearly stuff on the shared stunt currently that almost mimics details on the V2. There's something on the shared stunt's neck (I read once before it's chrome tape painted copper), the emitter detail shows a hole where the nipple on the V2 would be with at around the same size and innerd details (a cut down rod), and two very similarly placed holes on the "booster" and pommel.

I don't think we can consider one having a clamp or not as a key defining characteristic of one or another for the simple fact they can both be removed and put back on at any time. The first two pictures show that. We cannot assume that they kept them on at all times for production of ANH or ESB/ROTJ. The first and second pics that County Paul also show the different colored neck and emitter that is seen in the second picture; just compare the color of the emitter to the booster in the first picture, they're not the same. Also not the same are the cords running out of this thing. The V2 in the third pic has a thicker, black, braided looking thing and big, red switch coming out of it. The middle one has nothing (probably had its guts removed) but the first has a thinner white-ish cord coming from it, missing a red switch, and also has this wire looking thing coming from the emitter into the neck (could explain the two holes in the shared stunt there).

As far as the brass coloring on the neck goes, I honestly don't think it's there on the V2. If the best we can get is a dark, slightly pixelated image; that's nothing to go off of. I personally think the V2 is all black and the color variation is the result of two things: poor image quality or some difference in the paint's sheen that, images taken at the right light, reflect two different tones of the same color that may be interpreted as two wholly different colors. The latter theory I came up with when painting my own V2 with a semi-gloss paint. Just from handling it while I was weathering it, different parts were handled more or less to the point were some of the surface of the paint lost its finish. While some parts of the paint were a semi-gloss, others looked much noticeably duller; almost a matte or satin finish. Combining these two things, I think you get your "brass/gold" color (which isn't visible when you look at the pictures of the thing when Luke catches it on the sailbarge).

Again, just my two cents.

have you got a picture of the set screw in place? What size did you get? Would love to see how it looks

I went down to my Local Harware superstore & searched their massive bolts & screws section & found nothing, I've searched eBay & again found nothing in the UK (some in the U.S. But the postage was ludicrous :lol) I've been searching for "square head set screw", "square head bolt" etc. starting to think either they're not something we use here in the UK, I'm searching for the wrong thing or just looking in the wrong place :cry

Unfortunately, I can only take crappy phone pics, right now (I have an old phone). But, the square set screw's size is 1/4" - 20 x 1/2" and I got it in zinc, if any of that helps.

IMG_20150810_130618.jpgIMG_20150810_130731.jpg

Just a side question,
Can anyone verify any major sizing difference between the V2 and hero prop? Like overall, is it smaller? bigger? thinner?

Was at the hardware store today for some materials and rather than some aluminium stock I originally had in mind to buy, they had square head set screws available! The size I needed, no less! Bought one for 49 cents and just screwed it into the pommel.

So, I got the tape, the "chunk", and lever...Just need that damned clamp.:p

Look what I just found digging around in my junk closet.

IMG_0207.JPG

Thanks! I'm beginning to think there just might be some legitimacy to the square set screw idea.:p
Those look great, and would work just fine until such time as any evidence is found that it's something different. Would you be willing to return to the store and clean them out and off a small run of them here? I'd love to get one. You could even quadruple the price. :D

Just a side question,
Can anyone verify any major sizing difference between the V2 and hero prop? Like overall, is it smaller? bigger? thinner?

The V2 has a diameter of about 1.5" at the clamp, while the "hero" has a smaller diameter closer to 1.25" at the same location. Here's a pic comparing the MR versions of each. Of course we now know that the MR V2 dimensions were slightly off, but it still gives you a good idea of the size differences.

MRLukeROTJHeroVsV2_zps382df082.jpg~original

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back