Sandbagger's Iron-Man builds - Now in STEEL

Hey SB can you show us a pic of some of the metal-smithing tools. Thanx so much...GM

Sure. I use aviation snips to cut the metal then the vice and pliers as well as brakes to bend it.

JzDJnvt.jpg

K0WYGUx.jpg

Then I use various hammers on a steel post or the flat tree stump ore on some foam rubber mat to beat shapes.

rfXAyAy.jpg

KgJXYJc.jpg

5m1a8rx.jpg

Then I weld it all up and use an angle grinder with flap disk to clean up the welds.

zjs8LMZ.jpg

Pretty basic.

Another day of TV cameras here, job done! Story mainly on the Iron Man suit, but a little on the observatory as well.

It will go to air next Fri at 7:30 on ABC1, then News24 over the weekend. Online from 8pm Friday.

For those of my overseas supporters, I will be receiving a clean copy for me to upload to You tube. You'll have to be a little more patient until I receive it and upload it.

This tool is called a brake. It is one of the tools some lovely person on the internet donated and sent me in the mail. It makes folding neat and straight lines so easy!

W0oLF1H.jpg

Tonight's work. Unfortunately I have run out of steel to do any more and I won't have access to a welder for some time so works will pause until that is remedied.

EhXLsgQ.jpg

Hey this ain't no April fools in advance is it. No welder, that sucks. Oh and thanks for the pics of tools, very helpful...GM

Hey this ain't no April fools in advance is it. No welder, that sucks. Oh and thanks for the pics of tools, very helpful...GM

My pleasure mate. :)

I LOVE DIE-GRINDERS!

Thanks to the guys who sent me the carbide bits and the grinder itself I got the centre of the chest armour shaped very quickly to fit the cover glass and housing for the arc reactor.

Four tabs to be welded on the ends to retain the glass housing.
MpoEBM2.jpg

yaBEkFc.jpg

H7NlOqK.jpg

I love tools af all sorts. At the shop where i work, we have lots of goodies. Cylindrical grinders ID and OD, Polishing equipment and welders as well...GM

Crikey I need that gas MIG! Parts are mounting up on the bench and I have no way of joining it all up without one!

Hopefully I'll be back to work next week and get a chance on the welder after hours. Contract ends soon so I may not have the job much longer and I don't know how much time I have access to it.

TlmvZJ2.jpg

Mvo3xA6.jpg

8qgCsd2.jpg

Tonight I got some of the thigh cut out properly and bent/folded into shape, ready for welding. I had to stop because the neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate me thumping away with the hammers past 9pm....

GUhmunq.jpg

Good fit for my long legs.

KNPfhBs.jpg

Have you thought about sound proofing your work space. Or sending over a complimentary jug of rum to the neighbours. Hehehe GM

i want to ask about armor, mechanism, servo, arc and other stuff - will you do that? for faceplate you need strong servo...

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back