STAR WARS Rebels new animated series!

I was extremely cynical and negative towards this show from the start. I made a lot of disparaging remarks about how they seem to be relying on fan nostalgia, what with the music, Falcon noises of the Ghost, etc..... I don't have access to Disney XD, and i can't be bothered with all that "looking for it online somewhere"stuff.....

Recently i saw a couple of the shorts which you guys provided links to, and i have to say, i was quite impressed....i actually smiled and chuckled a few times!

A couple of days ago, i bought the DVD pilot episode. "Sod it." I thought...."It's only a fiver...". I watched it that night and was completely awestruck. This actually FELT like Star Wars!!!! I almost had tears in my eyes at some points, the guys making this simply GET IT!

The one thing i have been DESPERATE to see since 4, 5 and 6 are proper Lightsabers...with intense, thin blades that flicker and pulsate, when i saw Ezra turn on Kanan's saber....i squealed like a 10 year old...this really IS Star Wars!!!!!

I've come out of the darkness and once again feel the light!

Needless to say, i'm soooo looking forward to the BD box set!

Rich

Just to be clear, I was talking about the episode entitled "Rise of the Old Masters".

okay, I know it was shown at New York Comic Con but I guess the WatchDisneyXD app is going to always show episodes a week in advance?
the episode will not air on Disney XD channel until October 27th.
(I can't access WatchDisney XD app since my cable provider isn't on the verification list :(
I'm all for advance viewings but I'll have to stick with the normal official release schedule... even if I am a day after the official DisneyXD viewing by downloading on iTunes and no, I refuse to search out illegal copies online... I paid for the iTunes Rebels Season Pass in full legal support of the show.) :D

FYI: I know there have not been a lot of episodes yet but Rise of the Old Masters is my favorite episode yet. Cool story and there are some remarks and reactions by Kanan that were classic Star Wars humor.

As you can tell from the title, this is a Jedi topic heavy episode. It's the part of the series I was concerned about but the story line and the handling of the of the topic flows well with the series and era.

Last edited:
I have been watching it exclusively on XD as my local Dish doesn't have XD or Disney in HD. Been wonderfully convenient as I stream it on Apple TV.

I'm kind of hoping we might see an aged Capt. Rex who left and joined the Rebels. They kind of hinted at him having thoughts about the clones' role in a few CW episodes.

okay this totally needs to be on a T-Shirt!!!!!

10419579_370653529757943_199496981796309060_n.jpg

I'm kind of hoping we might see an aged Capt. Rex who left and joined the Rebels. They kind of hinted at him having thoughts about the clones' role in a few CW episodes.
There are a ton of possibilities like this. (Personally I want to see them locate ashoka, and have her confront Vader)

But from what i'!m seeing so far, it doesn't seem like the clone wars is as connected to this as I had hoped. There's so much opportunity from the prequels that it would be a waste not to touch upon.

"Rise" is an out-freaking-standing episode. The spinning lightsaber is cringe-inducingly moronic, but the Inquisitor himself seems cool, and I hope we get his story someday. I laughed out loud a half dozen times in the course of this episode. I was also happy to see that Disney isn't squeamish about some fisticuffs. While I noticed the word "dead" was carefully avoided, and the heroes didn't shoot anyone, a few dudes did get hucked off a cliff, and there was plenty of smackdown. So good on Disney for not wussing out there too badly.

I also love how they continue to skewer the stuffy pomposity of the PT. It's well past due.

I'm gonna like Chopper.

The final shot was delightfully "father-son-playing ball."

"Rise" is an out-freaking-standing episode. The spinning lightsaber is cringe-inducingly moronic, but the Inquisitor himself seems cool, and I hope we get his story someday.

It will be interesting to see how they handle it, but I agree. I remember saying in the late 90s, before TPM came out, when people were hoping for all kinds of stupid lightsaber variations. I'd say "Yeah they probably use lightsaber forks at the Jedi Temple." We already have double bladed, which makes sense, and those lightsaber tonfa that the girl in The Force Unleashed used (depending on whether it's still canon).

As someone who has never delved into the EU, the thing I've never understood about the sith is the whole, "there can only be two" thing. Does that mean the inquisitor is not sith? Ventress?

No, both of them are not Sith. They are force users but not trained in the ways of the sith. The basic idea (as I understand it) is that the force is like wifi broadband. The more people you have tapping into it, the weaker the signal. By limiting it to two beings, they will have a strong hold of the force.

Guess not. This is what I was remembering:

View attachment 392306

Kind of similar, but I was going off a hazy memory.

Even more interesting though...while looking for that gun, I stumbled across this...

View attachment 392305

Obvious correlation physically, and the disruptor factor seems hardly coincidental!

Actually, the show's disruptor model was based on one from SWG. Clone Wars always seemed to be more okay with nods to video games than other EU because there was already a visual point of reference, though in this case I think the nod was more to the Han Solo adventures and Galaxies just provided the look.

Disruptor-rifle-v2.jpg

As for the Rule of Two, I don't think it has to do with clearer "Froce wifi", but rather the nature of the Sith. To put it more precisely, they're supposed to be a bunch of self centered a-holes who couldn't get anything done as a group because they were too busy with backstabbing. So Bane seeing this, decided to create his new order from the ashes and limit its numbers to two at a time.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back