Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - first costume, have questions

I finished tracing out the ear pieces in Illustrator. Now I have to look into laser cutting compared to 3d printing, which is also an attractive option.

eargreebles.jpg

I guess it really only makes sense to do the laser cutting option, since I need the green piece to be separate and translucent.

In other news:

photo%205.JPG

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

I still have to add the band around the middle of the helmet with the little clip things: http://i.imgur.com/oIRTkec.jpg

Last edited:

******** dude, that is gorgeous. :love

I've started working on the AR2 files. I had the bright idea of integrating an AR-15 lower receiver into my 3D model to help give it a realistic look.

b9bRjMf.png

This should be an interesting next couple of months for me.

that looks really good!

Can't wait to see more of that AR2!

So with the helmet nearing completion (as far as shape goes. I still plan to mold and cast it) I've started looking at materials for the vest. Taking some inspiration from the Judge Dredd forum, I was checking out mesh materials, and I found something that seems pretty close to perfect: Auto and Marine Fabric, Tops and Trim - Outdoor and Contract Fabric

It's really expensive, however, as you can see.

I also added a bunch of reference pictures of the CP to the Half Life gallery since it was empty: Half-Life - the RPF Gallery

The cop's vest seems like a dark gray, rather than black, but it seems that dark gray mesh is much harder to find cheap than black mesh. I was also noticing how much harder it seems to be to find these mesh materials in America--all the good links are to UK stores. :/

If you have any advice as far as materials go, I'd certainly appreciate it.

Last edited:

Hooray for more enemy grunt builds! Heroes get too much attention anyway.

Looking forward to how these builds turn out. I actually started on an Elite costume last year but only got to a rough stage before winter kicked in and took my workspace away. Now it's warming up so I dug it out only a few days ago and hit it with primer to get a fresh perspective before getting back to work. Intent is to have the costume ready for a con at the end of May.

AihsxfQ.jpg

Looking forward to how these builds turn out. I actually started on an Elite costume last year but only got to a rough stage before winter kicked in and took my workspace away. Now it's warming up so I dug it out only a few days ago and hit it with primer to get a fresh perspective before getting back to work. Intent is to have the costume ready for a con at the end of May.

Dude that looks awesome! Was it all free hand or did you base it off of a pep? I have yet to start my Elite helmet, I was planning on remodeling it and having it CNC'd but I can't find anyone who is reliable with a large enough machine, and my personal CNC project is not far enough along.

Thanks! It's resin coated pep. Unmodified in-game model other than the eye and breather detail removed because they seemed to be easier to do without pep.

It was my first time trying pepakura and many things went horribly wrong, so what you see is the 3rd attempt....

Hopefully I can get a progress thread up in a week or two.

You wouldn't happen to have that pep file around, would you? I tried unfolding my own but there are like 6 billion tabs and it bored me to tears.

My unfolding attempt is probably a horrible mess, but here it is anyway.

I only did half the helmet then mirrored it for printing the other side and apperently saved over the previous half because I can't find it now.

Well, I decided I am going to have the ear thing 3D printed, but I'm still gonna get the green glowing disc as a separate piece, probably lasercut acrylic? Here's what I'm gonna have printed:
puck.jpg

Can't wait to see that make its way into the physical world. Gonna be awesome.

That looks totally awesome. You could mold and cast that part without the green area, and then get the green part (what I'm assuming is supposed to be the glowing section?) laser cut so you can put lighting in it. That would look amazing.

Hey all. I'm also doing this build, I just started working on my mask, but it looks like you totally nailed it. Have you made a mold of it yet? I could be interested in purchasing a copy, I eventually want to cast in nylon and use it as a welding mask.

Thanks! Unfortunately I have not made a mold yet. It's nearly done, with just 1 or 2 main details missing and a few other finishing touches, however. My current plan is to finish it up, getting it nice and spiffy looking, then create an interest thread in the JunkYard and try to estimate how much molding and casting supplies I can afford to buy. I might also need to make a quick mock-up of the collar that goes around the base of the mask (and the 2 filters as well) because, to be honest, it looks pretty weird without those things.

I am just going to go ahead and say that, depending on price, I am one hundred and ten percent interested in a cast. I don't know if you're still interested in doing a trade for my AR2 (whenever that gets finished) but I'm down for that as well.

Yes.. I know this isn't an interest thread, but you have my money in advance... also, chances are you can amortize the cost of materials within your first 2 casts.

Yes.. I know this isn't an interest thread, but you have my money in advance... also, chances are you can amortize the cost of materials within your first 2 casts.

Thanks for the enthusiasm haha! And yeah, I'm hoping so, but if enough people want a copy I want to know how many buckets of smoothcast or whatever I'll have to buy. This is also my first try at anything like this so I have to leave room for screwups. :p

I am far from an expert on the subject, but after just having completed (and thoroughly failed) making a jacket mold like you would for a helmet... Buy way more silicone than you think you will need, and when you think you have enough put on the master, put some more on there.

Also, splurge on getting the thinner and thickener agents, they are super helpful.

Also also, no promises (I need to check with my friend) but I may be down for 2 pulls.

I must have a metrocop! Did anyone ever get one of Tactonyx's AR2 kits?

You must let us know if you open a JY thread for these. (y)cool

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back