Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - starting the uniform (Page 6)

Re: Half Life 2 civil protection WIP build - first costume, have questions

Did anyone ever get one of Tactonyx's AR2 kits?

Last I heard he sold the masters to some fan film production company and we won't be getting casts from them. Though, frankly, I thought his price was pretty outrageous.

Yeah, I just remembered some of the build thread. Good to see Half-Life getting some love lately.

I have a pep file for this helmet, but my pep skills are mediocre at best,and there's no way I'd be able to make something as clean looking as this baby. :devil

Last I heard he sold the masters to some fan film production company and we won't be getting casts from them. Though, frankly, I thought his price was pretty outrageous.

I'm transfering this conversation over to your post so it's all in one place

That's basically what I did, too (only I modified the helmet to be a tiny bit wider, which might have been unnecesssary in hindsight). I assume you're doing pepakura?

Actually I'm doing a clay mold first, I'm not super familiar with pepakura. I'm just dimensioning the **** out of it and molding it by eye. I just want it to look natural and be sized to my head. I'm still barely into it honestly. I don't see myself coming up with a helmet for a month. Sooooo if you making copies, it would def save me some time :)

btw I would only need the front of the mask without the filters. I'm planning on using modified "real" filters and molding all those metal parts out of aluminum (the ear piece, the back of the head, and the part around the mask)

you know getting into this project. I'm thinking that maybe we should collab more because even if I make the absolute most accurate cp I can, and you do the same, they're gonna look different. And one thing that makes cp so cool is they all look the same. So, I think we, (me and you rubber slug, and whoever the hell else is interested) should collab! just a thought

I'd love to collaborate with you guys! I really love the challenge of building the entire costume, though (at least so far--I haven't even finished the helmet haha). I'd be totally down for figuring out the optimal ways of doing stuff/locating materials and pre-fab items, etc.

For the rest of the uniform, excluding the vest which I will make from scratch, I bought these items:
2x black pistol belt
1 pair of black leather gauntlets
1 pair of black costume boots (these turned out not to be the ones pictured, and not that good looking, but they are the only appropriate boots I could find that aren't hundreds of dollars)
1 pair of green pants (these are slightly bluer than they appear in the picture and are quite baggy in the legs, so I will likely have to make alterations)

I also bought this ski goggle replacement lens for the eyes, but it might be easier to just find some cheapo clear plastic and dye it yourself.

You might want to look into military BDUs and modifying those.

Think all you really need now is a black jacket, and white fabric to make the trim.

My crew just used black raincoats and I feel they turned out fine.

Since when was "fine" ever good enough?

I'm with rubber slug here, I'm making mine from scratch.

Update on my build, I'm making a video timelapse of my work, I want to see how it comes out first before I post it though.

That's awesome alx, can't wait to see it. And yeah, something like a raincoat would do in a pinch if I was trying to rush this to a convention, but I'm perfectly happy to take the extra time to make it as close as I can.

Small progress update!

It's still missing the filters on the front, which are pretty important to its overall look. I also need to make at least a placeholder collar/neck seal, because it just looks weird without it.

scale.jpg

(iPhone for scale)

back.jpg

The back

wo.jpg

Side view

w.jpg

Actual game parts hastily photoshopped in.

Utterly amazing, how did you add the details to the back?

IMG_2549.jpg

Everything else is bondo + needle files and dremel work.

I realize the indentations on the ziptie portion are pretty messy, but they're really small and it's not super noticeable at a distance. Once it's painted and weathered, I think it'll look fine.

Bumpitty to this thread, any progress since?

I've been working out how to best do the filters on the front. I think a lathe would be ideal but I failed to locate one. I ordered some sulphur-free clay instead, and it just got here today. Hopefully it'll do the trick.

EDIT: The clay seems like a pretty good fit for the job. I think I'm going to do the lower filter as a separate piece for fewer headaches during the molding and casting process, though.

cp.gif

Obligatory sassy combine selfie:
sassy.jpg

Last edited:

Have you tried more found objects like tuna cans and the like?

coming out awesomely, are you going for the Barney detach where the back of the helmet is still on his head but the mask comes off? or full helmet pullover?

Just gonna ask, if you ever do a run of this cast i will pay top dollar for it, it's absoloutely beautiful!

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back