Duel Truck

This truck looks amazing! I forgot about this movie until I saw this build. You're really doing it justice. Keep up the excellent work!

Great build! Man, you're not missing a single detail.

I never cared much for car models - but when you weather 'em (like the heavily weathered/battered Duel truck) they look fantastic. Can't wait to see its "score" marks carved into the front bumper...

Thank you guys. I’ve always admired people who can build realistic looking car model s but never really had any interest to build them myself unless they are heavily weathered or banged up. It helps hide my inability to build one with that perfect “showroom” finish.

When I first started building this, I didn’t realized how many little details there are. Even a small dent in the fender adds a lot to the truck’s character. It is kind of funny building this as clean and straight as possible only to be adding in dents, scratches and tweaks later which should be fun.

Here’s just a little update. Don’t know if it’s true or not but I read this mirror on the top of the grill was used on these types of trucks so the driver can monitor the smoke coming out of the smoke stack.
100_5850.jpg 100_5852.jpg
Sorry for such a small update.

I started to build the trailer out of cardboard first just to see how my measurements will work out.
100_5854.jpg 100_5855.jpg 100_5858.jpg
100_5859.jpg 100_5860.jpg
I also did a little adjustment here...
100_5862.jpg 100_5863.jpg
Thanks for looking.

This is such a fantastic build. I've been watching this from the first post. Nice work Randy. I'm really looking forward to the weathering too. :cheers

After adjusting some measurements, I started on the trailer.

100_6420.jpg 100_6423.jpg 100_6424.jpg Frame1.jpgFrame2.jpg 100_6425.jpg 100_6426.jpg 100_6465.jpg100_6466.jpg

I'm glad I ordered these rims a while back because they are out of stock right now.

Rims1.jpg Rims2.jpg

Before I start painting, I want to get a copy of this on DVD so I can see the details more clearly. I have the movie recorded on my DVR but I've seen better quality images on YouTube.

Before I start painting, I want to get a copy of this on DVD so I can see the details more clearly. I have the movie recorded on my DVR but I've seen better quality images on YouTube.

It's the brilliant investment for this build. It will be the good reference for your paint scheme and also it raises your motivation if you look at each scenes of that violently action of the beast with a high quality picture.
I'm really looking forward to see your weathering because a paint job including those weathering is one of the many thing I have to learn.

Hoping you enjoy every part of this build.

katsu

Thank you Make Believe and Katsu-San. I am having a lot of fun building this. I'm actually accomplishing things on this build that I didn't know I could do. I've learned that styrene is a very forgiving material and with all the weathering and some luck, I should be able to cover any mistakes.:rolleyes

Thank you Make Believe and Katsu-San. I am having a lot of fun building this. I'm actually accomplishing things on this build that I didn't know I could do. I've learned that styrene is a very forgiving material and with all the weathering and some luck, I should be able to cover any mistakes.:rolleyes

I couldn't find any mistake so far.:thumbsup

Watching an interview with Steven Spielberg that's an extra feature on the DVD right now. A big deal for him was all the dead bugs in the grill and the headlights. He says they took the truck into "make-up" every morning, making sure the truck looked as oily, filthy, and gory as possible... The license plates on the front bumper are meant to have come from other cars it's killed.

You should eventually do the red car David Mann drives. Gotta have the complete set.

--Alex

I didn't know about the dead bugs. I don't think that's a detail I'll be able to add. ;) I look forward to seeing that interview. The red Valiant is something I may attempt to make someday.

I saw this movie back in the day and it made a lasting impression. I later found out it was Steven Spielberg's and I've had it on DVD for a long time now. Seeing the big bad truck come alive with this build is exciting, the first photos showing the curves of the trailer gave me the goosebumps. What an excellent choice of build, marvelous work! Subscribed.

Thank you Avanaut. As a child, this movie was the first one to truly scare me because the truck was more real than any monster smashing into a building. Plus where I grew up, these types of Peterbilt trucks drove past my school everyday and was a constant reminder of the movie. In the past few years, this movie has become more important to me on a much personal level as my father has been dealing with health issues. Duel was a movie we always watched together so I'm partially building this for him too.

I started on the side compartments.

100_6490.jpg 100_6491.jpg 100_6492.jpg 100_6504.jpg
100_6507.jpg 100_6506.jpg 100_6505.jpg 100_6509.jpg
100_6508.jpg

Attachments

• 100_6490.JPG
    100_6490.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 100_6491.JPG
    100_6491.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 82
  • 100_6492.JPG
    100_6492.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 69
After getting this far, I realized my measurements were a little off on the sides of the trailer so I had to add some adjustments.
100_6562.jpg 100_6563.jpg 100_6564.jpg

Then the bottom of the trailer. In this first picture, the top part is a made of paper which I had cut out and re-cut a few times before I got it just right. The I cut the real part from a "For Sale' sign. The second picture is this part in place.
100_6533.jpg 100_6565.jpg

Then the back of the trailer.
100_6567.jpg 100_6569.jpg 100_6591.jpg 100_6592.jpg 100_6593.jpg

Sand and primer.
100_6594.jpg 100_6595.jpg 100_6596.jpg 100_6597.jpg
100_6598.jpg 100_6601.jpg 100_6600.jpg 100_6599.jpg 100_6602.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back