Nike MAG replicas (V2 and V3 only)

I wonder how Universal is getting away with releasing these, since the design patent is still owned by NIKE?...Are these just inaccurate enough that patent law can't protect NIKE?...strange.

I wonder how Universal is getting away with releasing these, since the design patent is still owned by NIKE?...Are these just inaccurate enough that patent law can't protect NIKE?...strange.

most likely.
There is no Nike branding, and it looks pretty much 90% different to the movie/2011 release.
The midsole is innacurate, the back white ankle piece is still innacurate, the clear soles are innacurate, and the uppers are innacurate sufficiently for it not to be a case for even bothering on Nike's part.

Nike hasn't bothered about the current knockoffs, so unbranded ones are probably not even worth considering as they know most people who would buy the unbranded ones are just casual people looking for a halloween costume.

They have actually made the white collars worse by making them less accurate than the normal knockoffs. Look at how puffy it is, its now more closer to the original MP shoe. Them circular holes make it look less similar also.

I mean, if anyone is confused by looking at these unbranded ones and the real pair and can't the tell the difference, well god help them! lol!

because i have zero knowledge of shoe modification, i just draw and paint.

so if they are from the same factory they have the same chance of the electronics shorting out immediately or not working to begin with but if so then at least i could return them purchasing these.

Of course, the lights are identical. expect them to stop working very quickly what with the crappy leds and shoddy "momentary" click button at the back.

Man it goes to show you how overpriced the existing V2s are. A seller was just found for these at $200 instead of $250, but I knew that was still way over what these should go for. Now we have these alternate V2s that have been de-Nikefied and de-accurized and suddenly the Chinese sellers are able to sell them for HALF of the new $200 price and still make a profit?!! I wonder if these will impact the sales of the original more accurate V2s and make them drop the price of those to $150 or so...

$5 off is the"best" Karen can do.

Last edited:

I read (on the net, so it has to be true) that Universal owns everything seen in the film including the NIKE MAG design. It was a joint agreement with Universal for NIKE to make the 1500 pairs and sell them to raise money for the MJF Foundation. If these are licenced by Universal, then explains why NIKE is not on the shoe. Does not explain why there is no MAG in the heel cup though.

I wish Universal used their resources to make a better replica rather than make the existing inaccurate ones even worse somehow.

Last edited:
Opinions please, I have a pair of the current V2's, I have never modded anything like that, and can't quite bring myself to cut them up (not yet anyway). If these 'Universal Mags' are considerably cheaper to pick up, do you think they can be modded to look as good as the current modded V2's (if that makes sense). Obviously there are a few more issues, such as the different shape hole and there is no MAG on the heel. Anyone have ideas how they might go about this?

Or would i just be better to grab another set of current V2's and work on them? Cheers.

Opinions please, I have a pair of the current V2's, I have never modded anything like that, and can't quite bring myself to cut them up (not yet anyway). If these 'Universal Mags' are considerably cheaper to pick up, do you think they can be modded to look as good as the current modded V2's (if that makes sense). Obviously there are a few more issues, such as the different shape hole and there is no MAG on the heel. Anyone have ideas how they might go about this?

Or would i just be better to grab another set of current V2's and work on them? Cheers.

10702203_10152772462308783_5597920517549646316_n.jpg

Yes and no. The bottom of the shoe is (below the strap) pretty much identical to the V2s apart from the SWOOSH and NIKE MAG lettering, so if your worried about stuffing the toe slim and lace thinning, these V3s might be a good tester for you to work on first.

Above the strap, these are slightly different because the cuff looks puffier and the hole is round. Looking at this round hole and it might have enough fabric around it to allow an unpick, nip out three corners, tuck and glue to make these triangular. That would be a mod you can't do on a V2!

You can always add a SWOOSH later on as well.

You will probably have to make new straps from scratch. It is a real shame they stitched that.

There is nothing you can do about the cuff. It is what it is. You may even be able to unpick the extra stitching they have added around the laces. I don't see a reason for it to be there and AFAIK, no V2 ever split down the seam where this stitching is.

As for the heel cup, my plan is to make a new heel cup (for my V2s) using the existing part as a base, mold and cast that. I intend to make the back larger and extend the inner wing a tough and will therefore add a larger M A G to the back. Texturing the surface will be a challenge but at less than $100, I'd be OK to simply chop a pair of these up for parts.

Thing is, given how much my clear soles cost to make (molds alone were over $700), this won't be happening anytime soon.

Everything seems doable, and actually pretty easy except for the overly puffy border on the uppers. That said, there's probably an easy way to fix that too, and someone will just have to figure it out.

I wish Universal used their resources to make a better replica rather than make the existing inaccurate ones even worse somehow.

I actually don't think Universal is that involved with this. It seems the halloween company, who already have an existing arrangement with Universal to sell Back to The Future branded costumes simply asked Universal if they could brand these "unbranded" knockoffs with the Back to the future name.

It seems Universal studios agreed. They either must not realise these "unbranded" knockoffs are made in the same factory as the pre-existing knockoffs (V2) that have been available since 2012, or simply don't care, since they aren't doing anything other than getting paid by someone to use their Back to The Future branding.

That is what I think is going on.

I doubt very much Universal Studios would actively contact a halloween costume company and ask them to release an unbranded knockoff of an existing knockoff made by a knockoff shoe factory in China! The fact its 99% identical to the branded V2 sums that up!

We all know the evolution of this knockoff!

Mark Poon Replica - > V1 Knockoffs in Black, White, Silver -> V2 Knockoffs in Grey -> V2 Knockoffs in Black -> These "unbranded" V2 knockoffs

Can someone tell me can i still get a pair of the black mags from Aliexpress. I've been reading about Karen Chen. I wish i could get in touch with her. I want the black ones very bad.

method1911 M8

Karen just yesterday sent me a message saying her stock was back in, look for a seller named "shoes inc" she directs you there to buy from her now.

Can someone tell me can i still get a pair of the black mags from Aliexpress. I've been reading about Karen Chen. I wish i could get in touch with her. I want the black ones very bad.

method1911 M8

Thanks man alot. I'm so glad I came across this thread. I'm using the Aliexpress app, how do I look for her Karen or shoe Inc. Do you have a email address

method1911 M8

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back