Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Pre-release)

Frankly, that's just stupid IMO. Gives way too much away.

I mean, look at E1 - they released the sound track a month before the movie and it had the track 'death of qui gonn' on the back of it. I mean, hello???? Spoiler....I mean, Kylo Renn with removable helmet - we'll know who he is. Same with the chrometrooper if they go that route....Too much to give away. They're going to make a mint on the movie itself, no need to release the product 3 months out.

Thats why you don't work for Hasbro.

Last time I checked, no one's forcing you to buy or look at the product. I know sometimes it gets pushed in front of you, but most of the time spoilers are avoidable.

That's why I'm glad there are spoiler tags in this forum... I'll even say that chronic abuse (ie, adding spoilers without tags or in the wrong thread) should have some sort of punishment attached to it - fortunately, this hasn't been too much of an issue (although it started to be early in this thread).

Now, as far as social media -- if you have a friend posting spoilers and it shows up in your feed (in an unavoidable way), well it's time to rethink your friends list ;)

The folks making movies need to have product out there. There is a demand for it.

The stuff I've seen is quite extensive but no real spoilers, its all stuff in the trailers, the Ships look good though for a toy line and yes there is models coming out the to

If they want us to be "blown away" by this movie, they'll hold off as much as possible. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a very effective marketing strategy

If they want us to be "blown away" by this movie, they'll hold off as much as possible. There's nothing wrong with that. It's a very effective marketing strategy

Not really. The film will stand on it's own merits regardless of the promotional merchandise tie in's. I can very much recall ESB product hitting the shelves months before it's release and they sold like crazy and it would be difficult to make the case it hurt the theatrical release.

Look at how much the Phantom menace made. And no one liked it.

This movie is gonna outsell avatar no matter what

Phantom Menace is a totally different kettle of marketing fish. They didn't have the benefit of featuring OT characters. I do agree that Avatar's box office record is in peril. :)

I remember having the ROTJ storybook before the movie came out and reading from it to my sister. Ruining for her that Yoda died, Vader died and I didn't care that I knew before hand. How things have changed.

Phantom Menace is a totally different kettle of marketing fish. They didn't have the benefit of featuring OT characters.

I wouldn't go that far. The Phantom Menace alone featured Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker with Yoda, Palpatine, R2-D2 and C-3P0 played by their respective OT actors. Attack of the Clones even gave fans a galactic army of Boba Fetts. I think the PT didn't have the benefit of giving the audiences an experience where they didn't know where it was going. The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars thing since the Expanded Universe where we follow the events that transpires after Return of the Jedi. You know? The unknown. As much as people are excited about simply having a new Star Wars movie, I'm excited that we're finally moving forward.

I do agree that Avatar's box office record is in peril.

The only way to ensure that is if Star Wars turned it's entire galactic conflict around the fate of a plant. Seriously, even for someone who likes Avatar I question the strategy used to having everything boil down to a tree that features dead people singing. If any of the characters wins the hearts of an alien species by flying in on a gigantic Mynock I'm going to be very upset.

IMO spoilers don't ruin anything. I read all the Prequel novels before and it was still different seeing the movies. I'm hoping they will give us a look at a few more characters and ships at the London SW Celebration in July. They kind of have to or it would be a jerk move not to show them anything new when the Anaheim people got new things revealed.

I wouldn't go that far. The Phantom Menace alone featured Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker with Yoda, Palpatine, R2-D2 and C-3P0 played by their respective OT actors. Attack of the Clones even gave fans a galactic army of Boba Fetts. I think the PT didn't have the benefit of giving the audiences an experience where they didn't know where it was going. The Force Awakens is the first Star Wars thing since the Expanded Universe where we follow the events that transpires after Return of the Jedi. You know? The unknown. As much as people are excited about simply having a new Star Wars movie, I'm excited that we're finally moving forward.

The only way to ensure that is if Star Wars turned it's entire galactic conflict around the fate of a plant. Seriously, even for someone who likes Avatar I question the strategy used to having everything boil down to a tree that features dead people singing. If any of the characters wins the hearts of an alien species by flying in on a gigantic Mynock I'm going to be very upset.

No, TPM lacked the shear nostalgia value this new film embodies. In some respects LucasFilm marketing engineers the TPM hype. And they did a decent job they just produced way too much product. Disney has far more merchandising experience then LF.

I'm hoping they will give us a look at a few more characters and ships at the London SW Celebration in July. They kind of have to or it would be a jerk move not to show them anything new when the Anaheim people got new things revealed.

Um... The next Celebration: Europe is in 2016. Next year. Not this summer. They'll undoubtedly show stuff for Rogue One, maybe Episode VIII, new stuff for Rebels... We'll probably see stuff from TFA after the fact, but nothing in the lead-up we're in now.

--Jonah

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back