Amon Mask kit, Legend of Korra

Kommissar

Hey all,
working on a sculpt right now for the mask of this character.
zPaal.jpg

if you get the chance to check out the show, it's really quite good,
anyway, i wanted to flex my sculpting and mold making skills, so i'll be posting some progress on this as i go.

my aim is to have it perfect and molded within two weeks.
mostly this is just blocking out the right angles and shapes for now, the eyebrows need adjusting and the profile is getting trimmed.
dvVP9.jpg

jO4Cp.jpg

Looking pretty good so far but I think that the outer corners of the nostrils should be sharper, and the corners of the mouth should be more like ovals than slits. One other thing, I'm not so sure that the paint details should be etched into the model like, I think they should be just paint and not carved details. Regardless, looking forward to seeing the finished product.

i prefer the etched lines, it allows the red lines around the face to be as symmetrical as possible.
thanks for the critique rice, i'm widening the chin a little and working on the mouth as we speak.

yeah, i actually done a search for masks on the forum before i shared my progress so far,
i like your work man!
i'm looking forward to getting my mold all sorted

Wow this looks great.

So I'm an idiot when it comes to Clay and sculpting.

Are you using some sort of special Clay that doesnt dry out? Or do you just keep it covered over night and lightly moist?

Also what are you going to do to harden it and then keep it from cracking?

The last time I used clay was in highschool/middle school years ago and we had to bake whatever we made.

Wow this looks great.

So I'm an idiot when it comes to Clay and sculpting.

Are you using some sort of special Clay that doesnt dry out? Or do you just keep it covered over night and lightly moist?

Also what are you going to do to harden it and then keep it from cracking?

The last time I used clay was in highschool/middle school years ago and we had to bake whatever we made.

looks like he is using monster clay, its a wax based clay that is super versatile. Question i have is what do you use to make it so smooth? Alcohol mineral spirits?

Yup! monster clay.
its a wax and oil based mix that doesn't dry out, its all heat activated, it can go from liquid to a pretty tough Plasticine like consistency when cold.
9Jys1.jpg
its almost done, ive been smoothing it with a hand tool, looks sort of like a small angled paddle, it's a really slow process, but i don't have any mineral spirits

If you don't have mineral spirits to smooth it down you might want to try petrolium jelly (vasaline). I've used it for years on plasticine sculpts, just rub it on and it softens the top layer so you can smooth the surface with your prefered sculpting tool.

the below pic is massive, so i've got it hidden by default, sorry about that guys
LINW4.jpg

more pics coming shortly!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back