Thoughts on Studio Scale Elitism Disease (and treatment options)

And one, of those wanting a divide, is a builder solely for monetary gain and wider exposure IMO for more work. As i said before, seems to be a few agendas here, from a minority, that want there own gain maybe?
I want somebody with the "know" to tell me thats incorrect!

Lee

I'm not sure whats going on, when was it decided that prefix is a solution, who created the problem and demanded change?

Who is complaining about the studio scale forum?

Yeah, this has the distinct smell of behind-the-scenes bull$#!+ to me too. Who, exactly, asked anybody that we start using prefixes around here? Or did the staff come up with this one entirely by themselves?

Either way, we don't need no stinking badges...

I was in the new Cosplay section today thinking it was the Studio Scale section, since that's kind of where this section used to be on the main menu. I walked in, the music stopped, everyone looked up at me, in the distance I heard a dog bark...that's when I slowly started edging towards the door.

Yeah, this has the distinct smell of behind-the-scenes bull$#!+ to me too. Who, exactly, asked anybody that we start using prefixes around here? Or did the staff come up with this one entirely by themselves?

I mentioned it once, but not for any kind of ulterior motive, it makes no difference to me.

I was in the new Cosplay section today thinking it was the Studio Scale section, since that's kind of where this section used to be on the main menu. I walked in, the music stopped, everyone looked up at me, in the distance I heard a dog bark...that's when I slowly started edging towards the door.

Hehehehe, you bad man :lol

Lee

So, im not going insane, they really are after our lucky charms!

Lee

Holy balls. The reason I started this thread is because I've had conversations with some fellow modelers who had asked me for feedback about the "lay of the land" here. They wanted my take on it, since I've been around a while/we're friends/they wanted another opinion. So I figured (however naively, granted) posting this thread might allay some of those "sensitive artist" fears we ALL get from time to time. Instead, it turned into a "let's remodel the kitchen by committee" buttfest™ and now we're seeing conspiracies, but let's all calm down a little.

I think we've all talked a little, proven that there's no real animosity where I was hoping there wasn't (whew), and hopefully we all can move past this morphed discussion and get back to making resin and scratch built Studio Scale Replicas?

PS - if I present a replica I made of a Kow Yokoyama design that is using the same materials/dimensions as the original scratch build, as featured in books and magazines, is it "studio scale"? I've been using the terms "Artist's Model" and "Kow-Scale" on the Ma.K. boards, to my great amusement, knowing how this place works!

PS - if I present a replica I made of a Kow Yokoyama design that is using the same materials/dimensions as the original scratch build, as featured in books and magazines, is it "studio scale"? I've been using the terms "Artist's Model" and "Kow-Scale" on the Ma.K. boards, to my great amusement, knowing how this place works!

I´d say no, but who am I to judge :p I think that the use as a filming miniature is a must. So the Elite model would be one that was seen on film and was created with all original parts in the right scale. Love Kow!Maschinenkrieger rule!

EDIT: hm, since I never actually contributed to this forum, except for a little clean up here and there, I guess that makes me very fair game, no?`Ugh ... Ah, what the hey,you guys know where "ignore" can be set ;)

Ahhh Jason , Jason , Jason. Technicalities....:lol. I think this is where a lot of the confusion stem from. As I said before I see the studio scale section as building replicas of the studio filming miniature NOT a model in the same scale. Recently we had a model moved from studio scale and then reinstated because there was a 6 ft model used in an episode. Therefore it was seen as studio scale ie in the same scale as one used for filming. The truth is thought although there was a six foot model it was not the same one as the one being built and was not in the same scale, just the same size. To me this belongs in the General modeling section as it is not a replica of the actual filming miniature just one in the same size. Am I wrong? Maybe studio scale replicas is a better name for this area of the forum. I dunno just thinking out loud again. Shoot me if i post again please.

I'm trying to understand what this thread is all about and find it confusing. Is this just members trying to mark their territories? Isn't it really simple? Studio Scale to just an average guy means it would have to be large, you would need a studio to film it, a big scale item. Is traffic to this section important? It's where the big boys play. It's modeling on a huge scale. That's the slice of the pie, any further slicing would just muddy things up. Traffic to the RPF site as a whole is what should be important. Where people go once they get to the RPF isn't all that important, is it?

:lol:lol

No behind-the-scenes shenanigans here. Prefixes have been brought up before and were brought up here again. If they aren't needed, so be it. No biggie here either way. Just trying to meets needs where there seems to be issues arising.

Carry on.

Holy balls. The reason I started this thread is because I've had conversations with some fellow modelers who had asked me for feedback about the "lay of the land" here. They wanted my take on it, since I've been around a while/we're friends/they wanted another opinion. So I figured (however naively, granted) posting this thread might allay some of those "sensitive artist" fears we ALL get from time to time. Instead, it turned into a "let's remodel the kitchen by committee" buttfest™ and now we're seeing conspiracies, but let's all calm down a little.

I think we've all talked a little, proven that there's no real animosity where I was hoping there wasn't (whew), and hopefully we all can move past this morphed discussion and get back to making resin and scratch built Studio Scale Replicas?

You gotta love the fact that he trademarked the phrase "lets remodel the while kitchen buttfest" I actually laughed out loud.

my .02 - sure there is "elitism". and as has been pointed out - that "usually" is someone expressing preference of X vs. Y. What I LIKE about this forum in particular, is that while its not unheard of the religious wars (flame wars) that sometimes break out in threads on the internet are at a minimum here... To me that speaks volumes of the tolerance and acceptance the vast majority of us have here.

I've witnessed a few unnecessarily bloddy thread over the years but mostly its very civil here. probably because its hard to deny the talent of the people here... even is you have a strong opinion about scratch building vs. kit building, the buildls here are simply jaw droppinglingly good 90% of the time. and when they are not - constructive opinions are usually offered not bashing. I'm sure that a lot of that is owed to good moderation as well... Kudos to "us" :) for not being a bunch complete Dicks.

Jedi Dade

I think there's ALWAYS been a contingent that has wanted to ride on the hard work of others... we can ride it out!

I have no choice but to ride on the hard work of kit pattern-makers, lol!

Heh, Lee's right about some original models being resin 'kits'. Scratch-building a pyro X-wing would not be procedurally as close as building one of Mike's or Frank's kits, since the originals were resin kits too...Building one of these kits has you pretty much re-treading one of the actual production processes of an ILMer...one of the bone-idle, freeloading ILMers who couldn't be arsed to scratchbuild pyro Xs but just threw them together from cast parts aka kits, ha ha...

Then, there is the opinion, of the master pattern build group, of whether the model, really is a kit at all.
I recall having Jamie Farthing stomping up and down like a grumpy old troll because i called the Red Jammer kit......a kit...... :lol........if you figure that one out, let me know, im sure its a life lesson :facepalm.

lee

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back