Defiance

I watched it earlier. It was alright. I'll probably keep watching for now to see how it develops, but tbh I probably wouldn't keep watching it if there wasn't such a scifi drought right now. But I'm pretty forgiving on scifi pilots, because there's so much more to establish, and it takes longer to find its mark.
But I've never liked that main Australian actor. Australians trying to do American accents always bug me, and he doesn't have a lot of personality.

Wow, awful. I couldn't watch more than 30 mins of this. Really bad.

It certainly didn't break any new ground, but it wasn't that bad. It was more 'meh' than inspiring, though I like the lead guy. The Doctor is kind of cool, though is she a medical doctor or a scientist or both? I like the Wraith-like species, but I'm partial to SGA. Also, did I hear correctly someone say that the guy's adopted daughter seemed to be full blooded? Are they suggesting there's interspecies procreation? THAT I would have a bit of a problem with, unless they somehow suggest it requires significant medical enhancement to permit. It'd be like a human being and an crocodile screwing and having a crocoman.

Jeez, tough crowd. How many times have we (I'm using the collective 'we' here) said that a sci-fi show needs at LEAST a season to really hit its stride?

Defiance came out of the gate strong and it really kind of irks me that the some of the same people who've been complaining about the lack of sci-fi programming are so willing to write this one off after one episode (not even a full episode in some cases). Maybe it's not ZOMG unique and original (a lot of the familiar tropes are there), but that's no reason to throw the baby out with the bathwater. It's not like Star Trek, Stargate, Farscape or any of the other shows we dearly love were perfect from frame one. They became great because we were willing to give the characters a chance to grow and evolve.

BTW, if anyone is interested in my review, here's a link: http://talariapress.com/2013/04/16/recommended-viewingplaying-defiance/

Last edited:
Sad to say, thanks to their past habits of getting a series going, and just when it hits it's stride (SG-U) they yank the rug out, I'm going to skip this one. Truth is networks, even one supposedly geared to Science Fiction, just won't back a science fiction show for the long run.

Jeez, tough crowd. How many times have we (I'm using the collective 'we' here) said that a sci-fi show needs at LEAST a season to really hit its stride?

Defiance came out of the gate strong and it really kind of irks me that the some of the same people who've been complaining about the lack of sci-fi programming are so willing to write this one off after one episode (not even a full episode in some cases).

I hope that doesn't include me. I've been sort of confident that this show was going to be good, but like I said, "I'm going to need a couple of more episodes to see if I get caught onto it."

I hope that doesn't include me. I've been sort of confident that this show was going to be good, but like I said, "I'm going to need a couple of more episodes to see if I get caught onto it."

No, you're at least willing to give it a few episodes. I get that sometimes things just aren't our cup of tea. Sometimes things don't speak to us. That's okay.

That post was primarily me venting because I see the seeds being something very special in this show and it annoys me that some (not even necessarily people on the board, but other reviews I read) appear to being willfully dense in some ways.

This isn't a one-off two hour movie, it's the start of a series. Things are going to change and evolve. It seems like a lot of people reviewing this forget that.

I watched it until ten last night. Great episode, a little confused by the characters and went straight into the action. I didn't like how they'd show a few seconds long preview before the commercial break, but overall I was impressed.

My problem with it is that it was too in your face. Like "Ooh look how weird this is! Look how weird this next thing is!" "Oh look now we're speaking some weird language!" "Look how wacky and futuristic this is!!!" It came off to me like too forced and contrived. Other shows like Babylon 5 or Star Trek made things seem like they were just common things that people dealt with every day.

I enjoyed it, for a pilot it was more than good enough, I dont understand the negative vibes around this show, it was just one episode, nothing new I recon, but common, other series need 1-2 seasons to show so many stuff. Dont have to remind you about Star Trek..*cough...cough*

I definetly giving it a chance, open minded

I enjoyed it for what it was, and it had some nice concepts in there... but it did feel very generic in a way, with a lot of similarities to Terra Nova in structure. I hope the writers will do something really unique in the upcoming episodes to make it something special.

The only thing I don't get regarding the show is if the old city is buried under
all that earth, how is the arch still as tall as it was before. Wouldn't that be
underground too?

Judging by next weeks previews and seeing the city still intact underground, I
don't think that arch was THAT TALL!

Other than that, I enjoyed the pilot episode.

The only thing I don't get regarding the show is if the old city is buried under
all that earth, how is the arch still as tall as it was before. Wouldn't that be
underground too?

underground too?

They're actually in the process of rebuilding the arch. That's mentioned on the website, in the fluff, but not in the show yet. :)

Here's what the website says under the section about the town:
The St. Louis Gateway Arch, originally built in 1965, was thrust upward during the terraforming. It’s a miracle that it survived intact, and it’s seen as a symbol of the town’s strength and resiliency. The Arch was badly damaged during the Pale Wars and Arkfall, and it’s currently in the process of being renovated. The observation deck atop the Arch has been converted into an ad-hoc radio station, where news and emergency broadcasts can be made.

Last edited:
I think the show should have been set later in the future, maybe the 2070's or 2080's to show that humans and aliens have been living together longer, and would account for how long it took to change Earth.

I think the show should have been set later in the future, maybe the 2070's or 2080's to show that humans and aliens have been living together longer, and would account for how long it took to change Earth.

You don't think 33 years isn't long enough for things to change? Why?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back