Defiance

Can't believe it's been so long, it was a nice show. Ending was surprisingly good, I was expecting a meaningless ending.

Yeah. The game is pretty much ending on April 29. To me, the thing that gets me is not only will the show/game will become nothing more than a footnote in sci-fi history for what they attempted to do, but the lore and history developed for them will be forgotten. I personally have been considering on downloading both versions of the game and hold copies of them on a hard drive, as there is always a possibility that someone could crack the games to make them play offline (a couple of years ago, I found a video of someone who was showing off an emulator that allowed The Matrix Online to play without a server to connect to. However, it didn't allow for missions to be played and mostly allowed users to walk around the in-game world should they want to for nostalgic reasons, but that the developers of the emulator was still working on it at the time. Star Wars Galaxies can also be played with an emulator, as can City of Heroes, Warhammer Online and Pirates of the Caribbean Online, all three mentioned having their community ran servers). Or, if I can figure out how to, maybe access the games WAD files and snag the models and textures for items from the game to play around with.

In addition, I've decided to write a fan fiction story to wrap up the lives of my characters (as I expanded with the use of a Defiance RP forum which went dead a couple of years later due to me not being there). I figured, it's my way of saying goodbye to it. But I'm still gonna play the game until I can't.

Have you guys seen the trailer? Haha its same as first game. :/
Well, the next gen version updates the graphics but the gameplay is still the same (it's still pretty good gameplay, no matter the D2013 version or the D2050 version). It's a shame that Gamigo never bothered to try to update things, especially since the show has been off the air for years.

I have completed my fan fiction story, titled The End of the Road. It may be long winded, but it's something I felt I needed to write. And yes, I did lift the ending from Philip K. Dick if anyone is wondering. And yes, I could have done without the use of the song lyrics (but I've always included lyrics in part or in full when I did some of my posts at the Defiance RP Forum when I was active there). It's the best way I could cover the ending of my characters lives, and it's probably the only way I ever saw it ending. It's still a work in progress, so I am trying to correct spelling and grammar in certain spots, but I hope you find it enjoyable, if you can.

3/18/2021: updated the story, added some details, corrected some errors.

3/20/21 - Revised story, added more material.

3/21/21 - Corrected some grammar errors.

Attachments

• TheEndofTheRoadA.pdf
    458.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Final 10 Days of both versions of the game. I've been saving as much information about the game as possible, including doing data packet capturing. I've downloaded all the videos from the Defiance YouTube channel because the official forums stated that all social media will be closed, including the Defiance Forums, and I'm not sure if it will include the YouTube Channel or not. Plan on purchasing a thumb drive to transfer the files, the unpacked WAD files (Meshes, sounds and textures), the videos, copies of both games and anything else in relation. I plan on naming the thumb drive The Defiance Archive. And it will include the images from the Defiance paper prop post in the Free Paper Props subforum. I know it's silly for me to do something like this, but I feel like doing it because I'm worried that the show and the game will be remembered for what they tried to do, and not for the stories, the characters, the world and the lore. And I just feel like trying to preserve something of it.

Rest in Peace, Defiance.
Show: 2013-2015 (Murdered by SyFy)
Game: 2013-2021 (Murdered by Gamigo)

Until the Arks rise again...

Last edited:
I know that I'm resurrecting this thread, but there's some things I'd like to share.

So, as I've not mentioned, or may have (I can't clearly remember), I have unlocked the game assets (the meshes, sounds and textures). A set of tools that were developed years ago to unlock these assets called Zeiban's Defiance Tools, have come in handy and I have shared the link to it on DIscord and the official Defiance Forums before they were closed down. In fact, during the last day I was able to play, I spammed the link in both the Defiance Forums and the Discord, an action I had never taken before, and got banned from both before they closed (and I am glad to, because I was being defiant to Gamigo, the way fans should be against a company that exploits their userbase as described in the video posted back in March 16, 2021). And, as a result of my sharing the link for the tools, others have unlocked the game files and have started to do a lot of awesome things. One user plans on getting a modder to recreate the Arkhunters of his friends for the game XCOM 2. Another has imported one of the weapons from Defiance, the Mass Blaster (with it's skins and the various ammo types from Defiance), into Payday 2 and plans on importing more into it (see video below) as they functioned in Defiance.

A couple of users have imported some items into GTA: San Andreas. One user I know have imported Nolan and Cooper from the game into GTA:SA as player models. Another user is actually working to recreate the world of the MMO in GTA:SA, currently unsure if he'll do it with GTAV. I have tested on importing a couple of the vehicle models into Second Life (but discovered I wouldn't be able to adjust the skin to have the Hemi Orange color because the textures were designed in a way that allowed for multiple colors without having to render thousands of skins for the vehicle, using what I think is called Vertex Colors). I have toyed with maybe recreating the town of Defiance in SL, but I see a lot of drawbacks than I see positives (but I have also considered on making a temporary Defiance tribute in SL, which would be sort of like a museum talking about the development of the story, the game, the show and their eventual end, while using some of the game assets to show what it was like). But fans are doing something with the assets. And to me, having something of Defiance remain alive is better than not having any of it.

I have also looked through the meshes and found the original Golden Gate Bridge model, as seen in the original teaser video, as well as seen in the end of Season 2's "Painted From Memory", which of course isn't like the model of the bridge that was in the game. I've wondered if it's possible to 3D print the models, but realized a bulk of the texturing for them are through the use of textures. And I have considered on possibly importing some of the models into games like Lionhead's The Movies or maybe The Sims 3.

But, that's not the end. I heard a rumor that I am not sure is true or not. To be honest, hearing it makes me hopefully naïve, but part of me is hesitant to share it with some of the fans I have been in contact with out of fear of getting their hopes up and it turn out to be false. But, I'm going to share it here because I have no one else I can share it with and I know there are those here who are more hesitant to believe in rumors: I know a user on Second Life, a nice guy who is really good at computers. He has told me he knows a game preservationist has a copy of the Defiance source code as well as the server files. The guy who has it is in Brazil and got it from an ex-employee from Trion World who got fired. From what he's explained, the version of Defiance 2050 that the server files have is v1.7, as he notes that there are some HD skins. He also says the user states he has files for D2013 and D2050. Now, the thing is this: he says the guy is currently trying to work on preserving the Playstation 3 store before it goes offline, which is taking up a lot of time and that he might release the files within a year or two (from what's been explained, he's also holding off for a bit to see if another company is going to take the IP. He's had a run in with Nintendo a while ago and is trying to avoid another possible legal issue by waiting). I honestly cannot confirm if this is legit or not. But like I said, I am hopefully naive.

For me, I have copied all the assets, the install files for both D2013 and D2050, a lot of images (such as concept art and even some of the images I posted to the Defiance Paper Prop post) and any additional information I can find to a thumb drive I've dubbed The Defiance Archive. I don't know what will happen with the franchise since the show's been off the air for so long, or if another company will purchase the license of Defiance and resurrect the MMO as it was or maybe make a new game. But with the fandom still kicking a bit, I am hopeful that the fans will remain defiant to the end.

Last edited:
So, I know it’s been some time since the game went offline. However, thanks to a fan who created tools to unlock the game WADs, someone is attempting to do a fan-game, essentially trying to recreate it without using any of the previous coding, but the game’s assets. I’m a part of the Discord, watching and seeing how things are going with it.

The above mentioned porting of the game world into GTA: San Andreas has stopped. The user who was working on it kept running into problems that were occurring with the game’s assets, causing it to make it impossible for him to complete the project, which sucks.

I did however find another fan who has been making Doom maps that are Defiance related. It’s not much, but it’s looking pretty good:

And I came across one user on Twitter who is apparently working on a fan comic. Outside of that, not much else new for now.

So, I know that I've been the only one posting on this particular topic, considering the show and the game are gone. But, the fan community is still there. In fact, I've got some updates:

The user who was trying to import the game world into GTA: SA has abandoned the project due to errors that occurred caused by the original game. However, he has developed a new tool called the WAD Commander to help out in getting more access to the game's data.

Also, one user is not only remaking the game in Unity using the original game's assets, but they are pretty close to cracking the game and allowing for single player servers to be set up for those to play the game once again. I've actually been contributing to the cause by uploading the game directories from my archive (which are the game files that run the game, which are more than likely have been uninstalled by the players after the games' closure). He's got a YouTube Channel for their progression on both: https://www.youtube.com/@Project-Defiance

For fan works, the one user I mentioned who is doing X-Com 2 mods have released voice packs for Cooper, Cass and the Arkhunter voices into the game. He's still working on recreating his Arkhunter characters from the game for X-Com 2.

Another user, whom I've met via Twitter, has started a Defiance Fan Comic. They're using Unreal Engine to recreate the set of the town for their story. You can visit them here: https://twitter.com/DefFanComics

How their progress is going:

The heart of Defiance is still beating. :D

Last edited:
So, y’all remember a while ago, I mentioned a couple of fans were reverse engineering the game so to try to get a server going? A breakthrough has occurred (it’s for a solo server, but it‘s a step in the right direction):

CB2001, not necessarily game related but did you see the "Nolan" jacket that was produced a few months ago by Jameel Ur? Interest - Defiance Josh Nolan vintage jacket!
Yeah, I have. It's a pretty good looking replica. :D

And this post isn't just for the game, it's for both the show and the game. So, any conversation about it is welcome here. :D In fact, I'm hoping to get my hands on a kit of Nolan's pistol (I found one, but it's from coolmodels aka Arsenal Models, and I don't want to give money to those rip-off artist).

Last edited:
One of the rare times that I agree with WatchMojo, especially on this topic in relation to the show (and the game):

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back