How to plastic coat foam costume pieces

Should I attach the faceplate, coat the whole thing and then cut it loose? Is it perhaps that my foam is too flimsy? I have been making it out of a camping mat, 6mm.

You could try gluing cardboard formers inside the helmet so it holds it's shape while you coat it, and then take them out afterwards - basically flat bits of cardboard at right angles to the sides glued across the inside of the helmet etc.

No, I've not got round to making the armour yet as I'm concentrating on another project ATM. I am going to see if the technique works on that though. I want to intagrate some white bands in a clear cast so was going to paint the 65D in the banded areas of the mould, put the back half of the mould on and pour in the clear resin. Hopefully it should work out as it'll make the bands permenent rather than having to paint them on or use vinyl decals.

I've really been enjoying this thread and the work you've done here Xrobots.

I've got a Darth Malgus project I'm working on, making the armored pieces out of EVA foam, and am going to test this process on the bracers I've made. If it works, I'll do all the armored parts this way.

Picking up the 65D from a local supplier on Thursday. Probably won't be able to do much with it until after Memorial Day (next Monday), but I'll be sure to share my results here.

dude, my armour has already been sprayed. Needed to do a rough job ready for my bday night out last night. The armour got pretty beat up, as expected, so it will spend the next few weeks in repair. Will this plastic stuff stick to the paint? Or should i re-PVA it?

dude, my armour has already been sprayed. Needed to do a rough job ready for my bday night out last night. The armour got pretty beat up, as expected, so it will spend the next few weeks in repair. Will this plastic stuff stick to the paint? Or should i re-PVA it?

I've not tried that - you might want to try a small sample and see if it sticks to whatever paint you used.

thats why cant thank you enough for this tut, now i can make foam armor without it looking like foam armor lol, heres some pics of my foam helmet with rondo just primered last coat and now on to paint. and srry that pics arent to clear, my phones camera sucks. Its robo"s file modified by stealth. thhanks fellas couldnt of done it with out ya

this is hella awesome! whats that brownish thing u covered in the foam before painting it? if you dont mind

Right guys, im planning on using polycraft sg2000. Do you think I will get the same finish? Also do the pieces of armour have to be smoothed down and filled before this is applied, or does it automatically give a sexy smooth finish as demonstrated?
Will this stuff fill in the gaps between the pieces?
my assumption is that it fills in any gaps then continues to dry flush over the top of the gaps creating a smooth surface... Is this an accurate assumption?

Right guys, im planning on using polycraft sg2000. Do you think I will get the same finish? Also do the pieces of armour have to be smoothed down and filled before this is applied, or does it automatically give a sexy smooth finish as demonstrated?
Will this stuff fill in the gaps between the pieces?
my assumption is that it fills in any gaps then continues to dry flush over the top of the gaps creating a smooth surface... Is this an accurate assumption?

Yes it should smooth over everything and fill the gaps, obviously you should make it as neat as you can to start with though. I've never used that resin before so it might be worth trying a test piece, maybe with some lump/bumps/gaps in to see if it gives the results you expect.

Fantastic idea i think I might apply this to my iron man build since there r some spots that need to be filled in thank u I assume you can apply bondo as will of needed?

It's strange looking from the inside out. But this is the first rule of props class, I'm new here but i figured this would be all over the place already. Wood glue sealing i mean.

Keep in mind wood glue should always be used to seal polyfoam that is being spray painted, because it melts it.

lol... i just saw this about the rondo. I was going to do that before I even saw this! Doc has proven that works.... my years in autobody/dash repair/yard sculptors will tell you this works. There is no other way around saying this..... paper pep is waaaaaay crazy hard.

It's like 7-eleven is across the street from your house. Instead of walking out the front door and crossing the street, paper/pep people are walking out their backdoor and walking straight. lol. Sure you'll eventually circle the earth and end up at 7-eleven, but there is an easier way to get there.

Great job on the tut xrobot! Great experiment and end result doc!

And for future foam hardeners, you can use an foam coat with an rubberizer as well. Thats what we used with Disney props. It's just sucks to work with. It has the consistency of thick joint compound.

Thanks for replying xrobots. Ive just had another look at my armour, and it really did take a beating during my night out Saturday. Lots of tears and buckles. Needs a LOT of repair work.

I'm only choosing to go with that brand as opposed to the one you advised because it seems to be cheaper and UK based. I'm hoping the difference in price just reflects the fact it doesn't need to be imported. Knowing my luck, the difference in price probably reflects the fact its cack!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back