Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - Password in First Post

Re: Darkside501st's Iron Man Mk VII pepakura files - V2 Biceps Done pg 130!

I've some question about multi-parts pieces like the thighs.

When do you attach these pieces? At Pepakura stages? After resin or fiberglass?

Firstly hi, just joined - I want to make an mark II costume - this thread looks like the perfect place to start - Thank you Darkside501st. I was planning on a solid helmet and foam suit, first time trying this and there's loads to research to do - I'll post pics when I start - Cheers

WELL! It's been a year since I last posted in this forum, at which time it was only partially painted (I also put a tutorial up on how to articulate the abs). But over the last month I finally 'finished' my Mk7 suit. Made the fibreglass and body filler method and it almost killed me!

Completed for MCM Comic-con in Manchester (UK) and featured during the closing ceremonies with my friend who built a war machine suit.

The neck piece [mk6] and gloves are foam for comfort and hadn't been treated and coloured yet unfortunately, I had the foresight to pay 3x more for a red foam pack in case i didn't have time though, haha! The shoulder and a piece of the chest fell off, but I'd say that's pretty good for a maiden voyage and just being built!

DSC03509.JPGDSC03488.JPGDSC03482.JPG

For more pics go here :)

On the arm topic I extended the bicep joint down and forwards by 45 degrees and about 3 or 4cm. This gave excellent mobility to where I could even brush back my hair! A far cry from last year when I couldn't even lift a drink to my face with standard joints xD The elbow is in the standard place, it could do with being in the middle of the new joint but I didn't have time to strengthen the area.

Feel free to ask questions etc, this suit is incredibly complex to build and I have a most of it figured out now, haha!

I think that is very good idea (sylverster86's). Actually Mike, you were saying that is appears the forearm moves around the circular tab and doesn't merely pivot around it. This would actually kind of make that possible. If you make a link that pivots around the elbow pivot (the center of the circular tab) point, make that link the length of the radius of the elbow of the circular tab and connect that link to the forearm, what you're doing is essentially making the forearm move around the circular tab. It won't be as simple as a pivot joint, but it will allow better mobility. :D

And so, the pepakura's journey is ending!

Should I glue the knee cap in pep stage or resin stage? Or maybe later in bondo stage to adjust it perfectly?

Attachments

• legs4.jpg
    legs4.jpg
    540.9 KB · Views: 189
  • thigh9.jpg
    thigh9.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 157

Completed for MCM Comic-con in Manchester (UK) and featured during the closing ceremonies with my friend who built a war machine suit.
Feel free to ask questions etc, this suit is incredibly complex to build and I have a most of it figured out now, haha!

Hey!

I was working there under a few corporate guises (including Konami - as the username might suggest), and saw you from afar. You two looked great. Fantastic work.

I have a few questions, and see that you're based in the North West... Anywhere near Manchester?

And so, the pepakura's journey is ending!

Should I glue the knee cap in pep stage or resin stage? Or maybe later in bondo stage to adjust it perfectly?

The knee cap should be floating but if you would rather attach it to something then it should be attached to the thigh.

"childrens" of my helmet

P1020565.jpg

Last edited:

Great collection of material here, epic builds! keep up the great work, I cannot wait to share my build with everyone I am starting when I get home in august!

Hey fellas, quick question...
I built my first helmet on cardstock but in order to speed up my build I am going to try the foam templates with cardboard. What are your views on this method? More importantly, when I try to print out the helmet files for foam, the pieces are too big for the pages. Does anyone have a good method of getting the pieces printed? Thanks in advance!

Hey fellas, quick question...
I built my first helmet on cardstock but in order to speed up my build I am going to try the foam templates with cardboard. What are your views on this method? More importantly, when I try to print out the helmet files for foam, the pieces are too big for the pages. Does anyone have a good method of getting the pieces printed? Thanks in advance!

You print them up, get the alignment marks to match up, then tape the pages together, then cut out the templates. It is a better way of making foam builds with fewer visible seams.

hey Mike

have you tested the elbow pivot point system I suggested yet ? I'm curios to know how it works (if my math is right, and it always is) the second pivot point should make the upper forearm go slightly on top of the curved circles when you bend your elbow

hey darkside quick question..

The helmet test file is scaled to .95 right? would the 1.05 file be about 10% bigger? so a head of about circumference of about 25"?

Thanks

The painted helmet. Now I do internal finishing and eyes.

P1020589.JPG

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back